And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on April 09, 2014, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2014, 06:32:47 AM
I get that. Still, it seems disingenuous for you to blame the Anglos for voting for one party rather than blaming the Francos for splitting their votes.
People voting for the same party, no matter the scandal, the arrests, the political positioning on various issues, for over 50 years should not be blamed in a democracy?  Curious.  I sometimes think the anglo-Quebecois would be happy with a Liberal dictatorship for life :)

Yes, they are basically Ontarians.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

I get that. Still, it seems disingenuous for you to blame the Anglos for voting for one party rather than blaming the Francos for splitting their votes.
People voting for the same party, no matter the scandal, the arrests, the political positioning on various issues, for over 50 years should not be blamed in a democracy?  Curious.  I sometimes think the anglo-Quebecois would be happy with a Liberal dictatorship for life :)

Seems dumb to blame them, when they are a tiny minority of the electorate. But blaming then for PQ's failure is particuarly bizzare, when even Grallon didn't vote PQ!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I don't blame them for PQ's failure, I blame them for giving us a Majority Liberal government.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2014, 10:01:18 AM
I don't blame them for PQ's failure, I blame them for giving us a Majority Liberal government.

What gave you a majority government was the PQ's failure.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

We could have had a minority Liberal with a CAQ opposition.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2014, 10:28:15 AM
We could have had a minority Liberal with a CAQ opposition.

That you could - if more Francophones *and* Anglos voted CAQ, instead of Liberal.

Problem is, the leader of the CAQ used to be a sovereigntist, and what he's offering is essentially a moratorium of a decade on sovereignty-talk. It's hardly very attractive to Anglos.

Grey Fox

It should have been enough. The Liberal is the party that stole countless millions out of our pockets!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2014, 10:49:45 AM
It should have been enough. The Liberal is the party that stole countless millions out of pockets!

Lord knows how much I dislike the Liberal Party.

But if I was an Anglo-Quebecker I'd feel like I was in a pretty hard spot.  The other parties always seem like they compete against each other to see how can be the most anti-English language, and all flirt with sovereignty to one degree or another.

Remember you vote for the parties available, not the party you wished was available.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2014, 10:49:45 AM
It should have been enough. The Liberal is the party that stole countless millions out of our pockets!

Given that's the case, what's the explaination for the fact that the majority of the people who voted Liberal were Francophones? They don't even have the excuse that, well, all the other parties appear to hate them.  :lol:

Even assuming every single Anglo voted Lib, the Libs got 40% of the popular vote, and Anglos only make up 17%.

Grey Fox

Because Legault has radical ideas and Unions don't like him.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2014, 08:30:02 AM
I blame them, it's time to take a leap damn it.

You think militancy is a bad thing?
Militancy is a bad thing.

Maybe in four years the ADQ might be established enough to earn some trust.  But even judging by the reactions of posters here, I get the impression that the party won't last.  Who else are they supposed to vote for?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 09, 2014, 09:59:48 AM

Seems dumb to blame them, when they are a tiny minority of the electorate. But blaming then for PQ's failure is particuarly bizzare, when even Grallon didn't vote PQ!  :lol:
Nobody's blaming them for that.  Except the hardcore PQ members, maybe, but even then, they seem more intent on callins franco-quebecois morons and idiots for not voting them back in power, as if they deserved it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 09, 2014, 10:44:21 AM
Problem is, the leader of the CAQ used to be a sovereigntist, and what he's offering is essentially a moratorium of a decade on sovereignty-talk. It's hardly very attractive to Anglos.
How so?  Is he elected Premier for life?  He says he won't hold a referendum, he says his party won't hold a referendum for 2 mandate for sure, and then it will have to be evaluated again.  It seems to me the logical choice for people who value integrity&good governance is to vote for the only party not accused of illegal financing with no member in its rang (so far) facing charges of corruption or even mere rumours.  When Quebecois vote Bloc because they don't like Albertan politics and the Liberal corruption, they are called stupid by the rest of Canada.  But if it's Anglo-Quebecois dumbly voting for the same party over&over, no matter who's there, it's a good thing... It is strange...

What are they risking?  There's gonna be no referendum during the mandate he says.  If he lied on such a critical issue, he'd lose a majority of his seats at the next election

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2014, 10:53:30 AM
But if I was an Anglo-Quebecker I'd feel like I was in a pretty hard spot.  The other parties always seem like they compete against each other to see how can be the most anti-English language, and all flirt with sovereignty to one degree or another.

Remember you vote for the parties available, not the party you wished was available.
It seems for English Canadians, being a sovereignist once in your life is a stain as big as if you were a rapist.  Again, strange.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2014, 11:40:27 AM
Maybe in four years the ADQ might be established enough to earn some trust.  But even judging by the reactions of posters here, I get the impression that the party won't last.  Who else are they supposed to vote for?
So, they are conservatives, essentially.  they like their old shoes, they don't even want to hear about a new pair.