And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2014, 12:23:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 08, 2014, 12:18:45 PM
Most significant and divisive Canadian election in years just decided and the hot thread topic is: Okanagan real estate.  :hmm:

We all knew what the result would be days ago so there isnt much left to discuss.  The interesting bits are to come, such as what will the PQ do to make themselves electable.

I think they are done; at least, until interest in having a referendum revives.

Way I see it, many voted for the PQ because they were not the Liberals - which is a perfectly reasonable reason (now, many have voted Liberal because they were not the PQ!).

As soon as the issue of a referendum came up, PQ polls plummeted. They are caught in a dilemma: their very raison d'être is political poison - they can only get elected as long as that is a non-issue; but as soon as they get elected, their core supporters agitate for seperatism (as well they might). So, the PQ needs a new message, one that was not seperatism, because 'being not the Liberals' only gets one so far.

Sadly, they chose bigotry this past election as their alternative message. Fortunately, this did not work - the people of Quebec showed once again that they are smarter than politicians, and rejected this. It is hard to see what else they have to offer - the other parties, like the CAQ, seem to be eating their lunch. Hell, even Grallon didn't vote PQ.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

They could develop a vague platform where they are both for and against sovereignty and for and against separation but the CAQ beat them to it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I voted PQ.

I was trying to usher a Minority Liberal government.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on April 08, 2014, 12:32:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2014, 12:23:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 08, 2014, 12:18:45 PM
Most significant and divisive Canadian election in years just decided and the hot thread topic is: Okanagan real estate.  :hmm:

We all knew what the result would be days ago so there isnt much left to discuss.  The interesting bits are to come, such as what will the PQ do to make themselves electable.

Way I see it, many voted for the PQ because they were not the Liberals - which is a perfectly reasonable reason (now, many have voted Liberal because they were not the PQ!).

As soon as the issue of a referendum came up, PQ polls plummeted. They are caught in a dilemma: their very raison d'être is political poison - they can only get elected as long as that is a non-issue; but as soon as they get elected, their core supporters agitate for seperatism (as well they might). So, the PQ needs a new message, one that was not seperatism, because 'being not the Liberals' only gets one so far.

Sadly, they chose bigotry this past election as their alternative message. Fortunately, this did not work - the people of Quebec showed once again that they are smarter than politicians, and rejected this. It is hard to see what else they have to offer - the other parties, like the CAQ, seem to be eating their lunch. Hell, even Grallon didn't vote PQ.

What they have typically done in the past is stick with a "separatism, but not right away" platform.  Hence language in the past about needing to create the "winning conditions" prior to holding a referendum.

The obvious problem with that strategy is the PQs strongest supporters are hard-core separatists, who are hardly inspired by such talk.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Separation for some, small Quebec flags for others?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2014, 12:51:57 PM
Separation for some, small Quebec flags for others?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2014, 09:27:15 AM
Being a Liberal is about helping your rich friends become richer.
Tell me again how Blanchet ammassed such a fortune as a public servant? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't know.

I don't disagree with your analysis, but you have to remember that the PQ had twice lower scores and came back.
In 1989, they only elected 29 MPs, instead of yesterday's 30.  They came back in 1994, and held a referendum in 1995.  There were extraordinary circumstances for sure (Meech & Charlottetown, rise of the Reform Party, among other things).  Still, they were back.

In 2007, they lost, an epic defeat once again, first time since 1976 they weren't the official opposition.  They came back 2nd in 2008 and formed a minority government in 2012.

If PKP is elected at the head of the PQ, he'll have his medias push for the sovereignty option, subtly at first, but no longer hiding by the end.  Who knows how poeple react after 5 years of pro-PQ, pro-independance propaganda in Quebec's most watched medias?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on April 08, 2014, 01:36:08 PM

Stole it when he was at Campeau and then use insider knowledge to make it grow. Probably some brides too.

What does that have to do with the Liberal party tho?

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2014, 01:56:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 08, 2014, 01:36:08 PM

Stole it when he was at Campeau and then use insider knowledge to make it grow. Probably some brides too.

What does that have to do with the Liberal party tho?
You say the Libs are corrupt, and they probably are.  Doesn't the PQ isn't.

Grey Fox

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 08, 2014, 01:44:38 PM
I don't know.

I don't disagree with your analysis, but you have to remember that the PQ had twice lower scores and came back.
In 1989, they only elected 29 MPs, instead of yesterday's 30.  They came back in 1994, and held a referendum in 1995.  There were extraordinary circumstances for sure (Meech & Charlottetown, rise of the Reform Party, among other things).  Still, they were back.

In 2007, they lost, an epic defeat once again, first time since 1976 they weren't the official opposition.  They came back 2nd in 2008 and formed a minority government in 2012.

If PKP is elected at the head of the PQ, he'll have his medias push for the sovereignty option, subtly at first, but no longer hiding by the end.  Who knows how poeple react after 5 years of pro-PQ, pro-independance propaganda in Quebec's most watched medias?

Also, five years of the Libs picking everyone's pockets. But now, there is a credible non-PQ option. It is possible that the anti-Liberal vote could go to them.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 08, 2014, 02:01:12 PM
I don't know.

Also, five years of the Libs picking everyone's pockets. But now, there is a credible non-PQ option. It is possible that the anti-Liberal vote could go to them.
We can always hope.

Grey Fox

I don't know.

It did once already, in 2007, it wasn't enough to unseat the Libs because their anglo base is too strong.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2014, 03:02:45 PM
I don't know.

It did once already, in 2007, it wasn't enough to unseat the Libs because their anglo base is too strong.

The percentage of Anglophones in Quebec is: 7.7%. It is kinda hard to see them bestriding Quebec elections like a domineering collossus.  :lol: