Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2016, 07:46:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 07:34:45 PM
You seem to be fabricating a disagreement where none exists.

It's Languish, it's what we live for and banning marty.

And abusing Tim.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2016, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2016, 07:46:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 07:34:45 PM
You seem to be fabricating a disagreement where none exists.

It's Languish, it's what we live for and banning marty.

And abusing Tim.

Danke
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2016, 04:48:41 PM
Should Languish employ Shelf as it's paid Westminster correspondent, I know I'd be grateful as I just can't keep up with the volume of political news today.   :bowler:

No problem as long as you are responsible for the "paid" part.   :P

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2016, 06:51:03 PM
A few more years of this, and people will start to look to people like me for leadership.
I think you're already too bright for this.  You don't believe the Earth if flat, and you haven't talked about black helos or a vast leftwing conspiracy on global warming.  You missed your window of opportunity.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

I don't understand one thing about the Conservative party.  On one hand there is Boris Johnson supporting Leave.  On the other side there is the prime minister supporting remain.  The difference seems a bit more than minor.  How is it that a party can tolerate this split?  Why isn't Mr Johnson expelled from the party? 

OttoVonBismarck

You've been away from Canada too long Mono, in a FPTP system generally there needs to be robust tolerance for dissent within the party since the parties tend to represent coalitions of ideas instead of a super narrow range of issues.

Richard Hakluyt

The Guardian has some details on the increase in xenophobic incidents since the referendum :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/27/sadiq-khan-muslim-council-britain-warning-of-post-brexit-racism

I've been on alert when out and about but outwardly everything looks exactly the same as usual.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 27, 2016, 10:13:08 PM
I don't understand one thing about the Conservative party.  On one hand there is Boris Johnson supporting Leave.  On the other side there is the prime minister supporting remain.  The difference seems a bit more than minor.  How is it that a party can tolerate this split?  Why isn't Mr Johnson expelled from the party?

I think the short answer is too many members of the party think like Boris.

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 28, 2016, 12:56:24 AM
The Guardian has some details on the increase in xenophobic incidents since the referendum :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/27/sadiq-khan-muslim-council-britain-warning-of-post-brexit-racism

I've been on alert when out and about but outwardly everything looks exactly the same as usual.

London strikes me as one of the most racially diverse and tolerant places that I have been to. 

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2016, 01:01:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 27, 2016, 10:13:08 PM

I think the short answer is too many members of the party think like Boris.

The majority, in fact.

Josquius

Has anyone seen anything on the small scale economic implications yet?
I know before the ref a lot of businesses had contracts delayed, orders on hold, etc....
Now that we've left I'd imagine a lot of work has been cancelled.
Job losses appearing in small manufacturers yet?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The UK has already left?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2016, 02:14:52 AM
I know before the ref a lot of businesses had contracts delayed, orders on hold, etc....

This will take years to play out. There will be a screeching halt to international investments, both in the UK and by Brits in the world, until the deal is worked out, by around 2019. Then what happens is entirely  up to the deal.

One thing I am fairly certain of is that American and European financial circles in London will be replaced by Arabic, Chinese, and Russian ones

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2016, 02:14:52 AM

I was talking with my wife about how it might influence the number of foreign students coming to the university. On the one hand the costs for them have fallen by 10% or more due to the falling pound, OTOH the UK is now an uncool wanky country  :hmm:

I think that perceptions are very important and the number of foreign students will decrease. But then, maybe, we will be inundated by Monos wanting a cheap degree  :lol: