The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 03:48:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2018, 10:58:11 PM
It turns out the sodomy in Rum, Sodomy and the Lash was a lie! :o

http://www.jasna.org/publications/persuasions-online/vol36no1/mcmaster/

I never really thought to much on the implications of the press gang policy besides its obvious immorality. Can't give men shore leave if they're just going to resort, and if you don't give them access to women they'll riot.

Executive summary plz. According to the article what's the deal with sodomy and press gangs?

Couldn't allow men shore leave because they were kidnapped and it was feared that they would desert if let on land.

So, enlisted were allowed to have their wives ans kids on board, even during combat deployments.

Single dudes weren't neglected either. When the ship was in a freindly port they would literally ship over however many hundred whores were needed to service the whole crew. And since there were no watches set in a friendly port, the whole crew was beneath the deck at once, every man and his lady crammed into a sixteen inch wide bunk. Must have made Roman orgies seem tame.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 25, 2018, 04:03:52 AM

I never really thought to much on the implications of the press gang policy besides its obvious immorality. Can't give men shore leave if they're just going to resort, and if you don't give them access to women they'll riot.

Executive summary plz. According to the article what's the deal with sodomy and press gangs?

Couldn't allow men shore leave because they were kidnapped and it was feared that they would desert if let on land.

So, enlisted were allowed to have their wives ans kids on board, even during combat deployments.

Single dudes weren't neglected either. When the ship was in a freindly port they would literally ship over however many hundred whores were needed to service the whole crew. And since there were no watches set in a friendly port, the whole crew was beneath the deck at once, every man and his lady crammed into a sixteen inch wide bunk. Must have made Roman orgies seem tame.

How does this mean there was no sodomy? For instance, passage quoted in the article:

Quote(S)warms of boats came round us . . . many . . . freighted with cargoes of ladies, a sight that was truly gratifying . . . and a great treat for our crew, consisting of six hundred and upwards, nearly all young men, had seen but one woman on board for eighteen months. . . . In the course of the afternoon, we had about four hundred and fifty [women] on board.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 04:10:29 AM

How does this mean there was no sodomy? For instance, passage quoted in the article:

Quote(S)warms of boats came round us . . . many . . . freighted with cargoes of ladies, a sight that was truly gratifying . . . and a great treat for our crew, consisting of six hundred and upwards, nearly all young men, had seen but one woman on board for eighteen months. . . . In the course of the afternoon, we had about four hundred and fifty [women] on board.

It was hyperbole. I was registering my surprise at the number of women involved and the fact that they accompanied the ship during war time cruises.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 25, 2018, 04:25:49 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 04:10:29 AM

It was hyperbole. I was registering my surprise at the number of women involved and the fact that they accompanied the ship during war time cruises.

:o

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain link=topic=13.msg1148559#msg1148559

:o

A report by an admiral anonymously leaked to the press in1821.

Quoted from "Female tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail.
QuoteThe whole of the shocking, disgraceful transactions of the lower deck is impossible to describe—the dirt, filth, and stench...and where, in bed (each man being allowed only sixteen inches breadth for his hammock) they [each pair] are squeezed between the next hammocks and must be witnesses of each other's actions. It is frequently the case that men take two prostitutes on board at a time, so that sometimes there are more women than men on board.... Men and women are turned by hundreds into one compartment, and in sight and hearing of each other, shamelessly and unblushingly couple like dogs. Let those who have never seen a ship of war picture to themselves a very large low room (hardly capable of holding the men) with five hundred men and probably three hundred or four hundred women of the vilest description shut up in it, and giving way to every excess of debauchery that the grossest passions of human nature can lead them to, and they see the deck of a seventy-four-gun ship the night of her arrival in port.5

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

And again that's while in port.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 09:35:32 AM
And again that's while in port.

You know the saying:
any port in a storm...

Tamas

wow. I was at the dentist today it was a very quick filling of what seemed like a cavity at the very top of my (upper) tooth because of the gum receding there. Quickest filling I've ever had.

But now it is the worst tooth pain I can remember. It starts, builds up to some incredibly sharp and intense pain, and dies down, whole sequence last about 5-10 minutes. Then shortly starts again. Funniest thing though, is that the extreme sensitivity to liquids and cold that it had with the cavity is now entirely gone. It's just this new agony that remains.

It can become so intense it would be fascinating if it wasn't so painful. If it doesn't get better tomorrow morning, I'll demand some answers at the dentist.

The Brain

Pain can be controlled.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 04:53:53 PM
Pain can be controlled.

Yeah I can't sleep while controlling, though.

Admiral Yi

20 million opioid addicts can't be wrong Tamas.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2018, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 04:53:53 PM
Pain can be controlled.

Yeah I can't sleep while controlling, though.

Have you tried boning Linda Hamilton?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2018, 04:56:25 PM
20 million opioid addicts can't be wrong Tamas.
Actually, that's argumentum ad populum fallacy.

celedhring

We've had a cab strike turn really nasty in Barcelona, with sporadic violence and protestors harassing ridesharing vehicles. Über and other similar services have momentarily stopped their service in the city out of safety concerns. Today cab drivers are blocking the road out of the airport into the city.

Hell hath no fury like a cab driver scorned.  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on July 26, 2018, 03:25:23 AM
We've had a cab strike turn really nasty in Barcelona, with sporadic violence and protestors harassing ridesharing vehicles. Über and other similar services have momentarily stopped their service in the city out of safety concerns. Today cab drivers are blocking the road out of the airport into the city.

Hell hath no fury like a cab driver scorned.  :hmm:

I have come to consider all cab drivers scum by default and they have to work their way up from there.

Not even coal miners can get away with so much self-serving sanctimonious bullshit like the cab driver guilds.

And it's all in vain anyways. IDK about other cities but I have seen articles from the Budapest of a 100 or so years ago, the exact same arguments that are touted against "ride sharing" apps and for taxi guilds were touted against car taxis and for horse carriage taxis. Ridiculous.