News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The English words mirror and mirage also come from the Latin mirare (through French in both cases).
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 24, 2018, 08:59:36 AM
I was listening to a podcast where the speakers were discussing Cato the Elder's phrase "Carthago delenda est."  (Yes, I know, it's really Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.)  The delenda (or delendam) in that phrase is a gerundive; a verbal form which we don't have in English, but roughly translated as something to be verb.  In Cato's case Carthage is something to be destroyed.  The speakers went on to explain that two names we use in English; Amanda and Miranda are gerundive forms of the Latin verbs Amare (to love) and Mirare (to gaze).  Amanda is someone to be loved and Miranda is someone to be gazed upon.

I had forgotten about Miranda but same applies to agenda (something) to be done.

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 24, 2018, 12:48:24 PM
I had forgotten about Miranda but same applies to agenda (something) to be done.

I haven't met any girls named Agenda yet.

derspiess

Yet every woman has an agenda :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

That's a good one.  There's also propaganda (something to be spread); addendum (something to be added) and memorandum (something to be brought to mind.)

Here's one for you, Duque.  I thought veranda might be mock-Latin similar to "Gazebo."  Looking it up I found that it comes to us from Hindi (which is why it's sometimes spelled verandah.)  The Indians, however, seem to have gotten it from the Portuguese varanda (railing.)  There's some debate on that, but I thought that was a funny, circuitous route.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Can't find the book thread.

Reading Chernow's Grant.  He makes an interesting point about secession that I had not considered before.  He thought only the original 13 colonies should have the right to secede, since they associated voluntarily.  The other states, however, were created as results of purchase or conquest, by the nation as a whole.

Valmy

Who thought that? Grant?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

The other states asked to join too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 24, 2018, 02:00:46 PM

That's a good one.  There's also propaganda (something to be spread); addendum (something to be added) and memorandum (something to be brought to mind.)

Here's one for you, Duque.  I thought veranda might be mock-Latin similar to "Gazebo."  Looking it up I found that it comes to us from Hindi (which is why it's sometimes spelled verandah.)  The Indians, however, seem to have gotten it from the Portuguese varanda (railing.)  There's some debate on that, but I thought that was a funny, circuitous route.

That's a good one indeed, though another suggested etymology adds a further step, originating from latin vara, before spreading through Portuguese.  :hmm:
Not convinced though, could end with an erratum.  ;)
Incidentally, French got véranda through English, according to the TLFI (Trésor de la langue française informatisé), while subscribing to the Portuguese etymology.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 24, 2018, 03:09:49 PM

After they had been bought, or won in wars.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 24, 2018, 03:09:49 PM

Pretty sure they were already part of the US. Well...except Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It turns out the sodomy in Rum, Sodomy and the Lash was a lie! :o

http://www.jasna.org/publications/persuasions-online/vol36no1/mcmaster/

I never really thought to much on the implications of the press gang policy besides its obvious immorality. Can't give men shore leave if they're just going to resort, and if you don't give them access to women they'll riot.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2018, 10:58:11 PM
It turns out the sodomy in Rum, Sodomy and the Lash was a lie! :o

http://www.jasna.org/publications/persuasions-online/vol36no1/mcmaster/

I never really thought to much on the implications of the press gang policy besides its obvious immorality. Can't give men shore leave if they're just going to resort, and if you don't give them access to women they'll riot.

Executive summary plz. According to the article what's the deal with sodomy and press gangs?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I didn't read the whole thing, but it was mainly talking about royal navy ships having women on board.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?