News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

You can also use Windows key + Print key for screenshots. They'll be saved under "screenshots" in your image folder.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Alt + print screen just copies the window you have open
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Tyr's trick is great to take screenshots of opened dialog boxes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I've just noticed that Super Macho Man in Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES is Superstar Billy Graham with different hair color.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2018, 11:33:15 AM
That is a nice venue. Was just there on Friday. :)

Managed to sell the Friday ones and bought one for tomorrow  :D

Since this is already a bit of a reunion tour, might be my last chance to see the band.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2018, 01:11:43 AM
I've just noticed that Super Macho Man in Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES is Superstar Billy Graham with different hair color.
]
I google his name and get some preacher guy.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2018, 07:29:54 AM
]

It's better if you include the "Superstar" part in your search.  :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar_Billy_Graham

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2018, 07:29:54 AM
]

lol

And yeah people are never multitalented. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

At one time the first run movie houses in major cities in the United States were enormous palaces.  Going to one would be something people got dressed up for, similar to going to a play or concert.  Some had live entertainment before the movies; the movie "Footlight Parade," concerns itself with that (not that any real world venue could put on a Busby Berkely dance sequence.)  The BBC has photographs of some of the most opulent ones remaining in Los Angeles:  article.

United Artist:

Los Angeles Theater:

According to the article Charlie Chaplin put up some of the money to build in order to premier "City Lights."

San Gabriel Mission Playhouse:

Grauman's Chinese Theater:

Tower Theater:

In Detroit there are a number of theaters like this.  Almost all were abandoned as the city fell on hard times.  A few were refurbished and reopened (one as a parking garage, as you know if you've seen "Eight Mile", but most as theaters.)  The funniest is the current Detroit Opera House; it was one of the original silent movie theaters in Detroit.  The owner had the architects design the exterior to look nondescript; that way if the movies were a passing fad he could refurbish it as office space.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

The UK had a lot of old cinemas too. My home town of 15,000 people (albeit the central town of a lot of villages) had two or three. The buildings were still there when I was a kid, derelict, but have since been demolished.
I guess its an advantage of Detroit's particularly hard times. Where elsewhere in the world these buildings would have been demolished; there, they can linger on.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2018, 10:38:45 AM
I guess its an advantage of Detroit's particularly hard times. Where elsewhere in the world these buildings would have been demolished there they can linger on.

That actually helped preserve a lot of nice Italianate architecture in Cincy's Over the Rhine district.  It was so poor and crime-ridden for decades that nobody wanted to develop there.  Now with gentrification and a lot of money going in to renovate these old buildings, OTR has transformed into a really nice place to go (during the day, anyway).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2018, 10:45:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2018, 10:38:45 AM
I guess its an advantage of Detroit's particularly hard times. Where elsewhere in the world these buildings would have been demolished there they can linger on.

That actually helped preserve a lot of nice Italianate architecture in Cincy's Over the Rhine district.  It was so poor and crime-ridden for decades that nobody wanted to develop there.  Now with gentrification and a lot of money going in to renovate these old buildings, OTR has transformed into a really nice place to go (during the day, anyway).

I guess its also the story of particularly well preserved Medieval and Renaissance cities.
Later periods of development left them behind.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2018, 10:01:34 AM
At one time the first run movie houses in major cities in the United States were enormous palaces.  Going to one would be something people got dressed up for, similar to going to a play or concert.  Some had live entertainment before the movies; the movie "Footlight Parade," concerns itself with that (not that any real world venue could put on a Busby Berkely dance sequence.)  The BBC has photographs of some of the most opulent ones remaining in Los Angeles:  article.

If you like this kind of cinemas, you should try the Grand Rex in Paris. That's the closest I can think of and it is still running, specially for events, such as watching The Room with 2,000 people.

The Larch

The fancy old cinema in my city, build in the 1940s, closed down in 2001, the last film it showed was Tomb Raider.