News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

There's a radius in a solar system where it becomes cold enough for water and ammonia to form into ice; rather than just boiling away.  (In our solar system this is what separates the terrestrial planets from the gas giants; but gas giants can form inside this radius.)  Astrophysicists call this the frost line (or snow line); that term amused me.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2018, 11:34:44 AM
Oh no.
Fireblade could add some excitement to the board.  Other than Tamas's racism, we don't have a lot of that right now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

By exciting, do we mean excite people to post? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Maladict

Wow, that's a very clear one. And possible a second in the top of the image.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

I found this website with some of the old Minotaure Magazine covers.  Some were really spectacular:

Diego Rivera:

René Magritte

Salvador Dali:

Marcel Duchamp:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

When I was in the 3rd or 4th grade I had an art teacher that told me that Piccaso painted the world as he saw it.  I remember thinking, "God, I hope they didn't let him drive".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Hey Londoners, do you know anyone who would want 2 tickets to the Gaslight Anthem concert in the Eventim Apollo on Friday? :P

garbon

That is a nice venue. Was just there on Friday. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Once again the US government is threatened by small, furry, woodland animals and America does nothing.  First Carter was attacked by that giant, swimming rabbit and now:

Paul Ryan: WOODCHUCKS ATE MY TRUCK!

¡Viva la Marmota!

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 16, 2018, 01:10:37 PM
Once again the US government is threatened by small, furry, woodland animals and America does nothing.  First Carter was attacked by that giant, swimming rabbit and now:

Paul Ryan: WOODCHUCKS ATE MY TRUCK!

¡Viva la Marmota!

Heh, this happens all the time if you store vehicles outside in the country. A porcupine ate the wiring and other tubes out of my dad's truck. He had to build a fenced enclosure to protect it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

A groundhog got into my grandfather's truck and chewed up the wiring a few decades ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall