News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2018, 05:53:17 PM
Just got home from a weekend trip to Des Moines and Newton, IA.  First time I've been in Des Moines.  For some reason there seemed to be a disproportionate number of redheads.  I asked a number of locals what they thought the group character of their city was, and the consensus was that it is an up and coming city that borrows stuff from neighbors but hasn't really developed a unique personality yet.

I was in Newton for the Iowa Corn 300, an Indy car race.  Now I can say I've seen one.

First time in Des Moines?  Really?  I've been there like 4 times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2018, 09:31:02 AM

Four times and no pithy observations to offer?  :thumbsdown:

Eddie Teach

Full of Iowans, one assumes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

It is a very, very caucasian city.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2018, 01:37:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2018, 09:31:02 AM

Four times and no pithy observations to offer?  :thumbsdown:

It was a while ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Today the RAF is celebrating it's foundation 100 years ago.

I'm remembering my old neighbour Commander Bell of the Royal Flying Corps and a founding member of the RAF.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on July 10, 2018, 06:38:33 AM
Today the RAF is celebrating it's foundation 100 years ago.

I'm remembering my old neighbour Commander Bell of the Royal Flying Corps and a founding member of the RAF.  :bowler:

Nothing against the RAF...But given the 20th century is so well recorded and so much happened in it, aren't 100 year anniversaries going to start becoming a bit tedious?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Only if you pay attention to them.

garbon

A lot of the rooftops here in central London had office workers out on them watching the planes go by.

Agree with Teach, you don't have to pay attention to them and they are nice for the people who do care about them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

derspiess

Watch out for that Trump balloon.

Jacob