The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Apparently we may have entered a new 'age' :

:hmm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44868527

Welcome to the Meghalayan Age - a new phase in history

QuoteThe official history of Earth has a new chapter - and we are in it.
Geologists have classified the last 4,200 years as being a distinct age in the story of our planet.
They are calling it the Meghalayan Age, the onset of which was marked by a mega-drought that crushed a number of civilisations worldwide.
The International Chronostratigraphic Chart, the famous diagram depicting the timeline for Earth's history (seen on many classroom walls) will be updated.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 09:35:32 AM
And again that's while in port.
Some women went out  to sea with them
"Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail" by Suzanne J. Stark -

"The wives of the ancient triumvirate of warrant officers—the boatswain, the gunner, and the carpenter—went to sea as a matter of course. So did wives of the purser and the master, who associated with the commissioned officers on the quarterdeck, as well as those of lower rank: the cooper, the sailmaker, and the cook. Petty officers—men who were selected from among the able seamen to direct the less skilled—and a few seamen, usually experienced men who made the navy their career, also sometimes brought their wives to sea."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 29, 2018, 05:32:48 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2018, 09:35:32 AM
And again that's while in port.
Some women went out  to sea with them
"Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail" by Suzanne J. Stark -

"The wives of the ancient triumvirate of warrant officers—the boatswain, the gunner, and the carpenter—went to sea as a matter of course. So did wives of the purser and the master, who associated with the commissioned officers on the quarterdeck, as well as those of lower rank: the cooper, the sailmaker, and the cook. Petty officers—men who were selected from among the able seamen to direct the less skilled—and a few seamen, usually experienced men who made the navy their career, also sometimes brought their wives to sea."

Yes, which is nothing new, see for instance The Wooden World: An Anatomy of the Georgian Navy by N.A.M. Rodger (giggity), 1986. Orgies with prostitutes (as described in your earlier quote) that would make sodomy redundant though did AFAIK only take place while the ships were in port (as in the earlier quote).

As for the actual frequency of sodomy on board I don't know what the latest word is. Rodger in his old-fashioned way only mentions the few court cases and states proudly that the young single men who manned the navy were of a "vigorously heterosexual inclination", which makes me believe that he hasn't tried very hard to find any possible evidence to the contrary (if such evidence in fact exists).

I respect your use of hyperbole, it's fine really, but I don't see how we view the basic facts on the ground differently enough to fuel a discussion. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Brain on July 29, 2018, 04:26:28 PM
As for the actual frequency of sodomy on board I don't know what the latest word is. Rodger in his old-fashioned way only mentions the few court cases and states proudly that the young single men who manned the navy were of a "vigorously heterosexual inclination", which makes me believe that he hasn't tried very hard to find any possible evidence to the contrary (if such evidence in fact exists).

I can't quite remember if we had that discussion before, but, short version: he hasn't, but such evidence is hard (lol) to come by. See Paul Gilje's "To Swear Like a Sailor". 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

The Vienna public transports are running a campaign against smelly foods on their trains, trams, and buses and illustrate an article thus:

Typical, people from Ohio stinking things up with their kebabs!

Also, I would call it a "remove kebab" campaign, but most people here (Vienna) wouldn't get it. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Girl on the left is too hot for this being an effective non-endorsement of subway kebab consumption.

Syt

She looks a bit too young for me. Like 15? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Anywhere between 13 to 25. There is no way to know without seeing hips.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

19-22 I'm guessing.  15 year old American girls don't travel in Europe with their boy friend.

mongers

Looks like a staged photograph, they'd be unlikely use a shot of random tourists.

So probably Austrian stand-ins.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2018, 07:03:25 AM
19-22 I'm guessing.  15 year old American girls don't travel in Europe with their boy friend.

Pretty sure they're Austrian locals. I'm guessing she's 14-16, he'll be similar age.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2018, 07:21:10 AM
Pretty sure they're Austrian locals. I'm guessing she's 14-16, he'll be similar age.

Bah

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I do feel inspired to have a kebab or dürüm after work today, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2018, 06:16:00 AM
The Vienna public transports are running a campaign against smelly foods on their trains, trams, and buses and illustrate an article thus:

Typical, people from Ohio stinking things up with their kebabs!

Also, I would call it a "remove kebab" campaign, but most people here (Vienna) wouldn't get it. :P

Viennese people would get it, but with another meaning, as you imply I believe.  :P