Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on July 06, 2018, 03:14:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2018, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2018, 11:01:03 PM
Hey beeb, what are the odds that you'll deal with the two main characters in this video?

https://youtu.be/DLs-KAE5zr4

That's quite the video, isn't it. :lol:

The odds are zero, because it happened in Spruce Grove (an Edmonton suburb, but separate municipality), whereas my office covers only Edmonton proper.

It works well with old school video game music. Metal Gear Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-E7kz9I0wk

Also, what kind of taser is that? The guy's only out for about 3 seconds.

Damn, that was brilliant.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2018, 04:23:47 AM
That guy's resisting a whole lot for having a pistol trained on him. With different cops or in a different country this might have taken a much less comedic turn.

This is Canada Syt.  They had a taser trained on him, not a pistol.

And for Liep - based only on watching the video, and nothing I've read on the guys files (and anyways I can't access his Spruce Grove file for this incident as that office still has paper files) he was likely on stimulants, which can mess with the effectiveness of the taser.  But I still thought it was impressive how fast he hits the floor when first stunned though. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah how come American cops are so eager to draw their side arm instead of their taser? I mean sure you can tase somebody and they can still shoot you but likewise you can miss or injure a suspect with a pistol as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I've seen several Youtube videos where the tased person gets laid flat out for a few seconds but then immediately gets right back up, shakes it off, and gets all belligerent again.  I think sometimes it is stimulants, and other times it's pure rage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Incidentally I miss combinis.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I was doing really well, avoiding that herpes of arts and crafts (glitter), while at pride. Then my friend gave some money for these roll in rainbows and while I declined to get one my fate was sealed. I've glitter everywhere now. :( <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2018, 12:59:18 PM

I do that; there's a younger woman I currently avoid like the plague.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on July 07, 2018, 01:59:46 PM
I was doing really well, avoiding that herpes of arts and crafts (glitter), while at pride. Then my friend gave some money for these roll in rainbows and while I declined to get one my fate was sealed. I've glitter everywhere now. :( <_<

Welp.  Everything you were wearing now has glitter somewhere on it for all time. 

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Spoilers in that image , shows what happens to half of them right away
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Just got home from a weekend trip to Des Moines and Newton, IA.  First time I've been in Des Moines.  For some reason there seemed to be a disproportionate number of redheads.  I asked a number of locals what they thought the group character of their city was, and the consensus was that it is an up and coming city that borrows stuff from neighbors but hasn't really developed a unique personality yet.

I was in Newton for the Iowa Corn 300, an Indy car race.  Now I can say I've seen one.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2018, 05:53:17 PM
  First time I've been in Des Moines.

I find that oddly surprising.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The Schallaburg in Lower Austria is an old castle that hosts a different historical exhibition every year. I went there a few years ago when the topic was "Byzantium and their Eastern Neighbors" which was very fascinating in bot scope and artifacts. This year they seem to have the sequel: Byzantium and the West: https://www.schallaburg.at/en

:hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould