News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

:yeahright: Source for it not being true?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

No way he says that to the Gorilla - easy tip off that this is fake news.

"My Gorilla is bigger than your Gorilla" - that I would believe.

celedhring

Cool map of the day:

Larchie's turf is surely devout.

DGuller

Looks like the Reconquista wasn't entirely successful.

MadBurgerMaker

Googled the US cities with "Saint," and came across this (it's missing some cities):

https://epicpew.com/american-cities-named-saints/

Quote2. Ave Maria, FL
Founded 2005 by the Ave Maria Development Co. & Tom Monaghan, founder of Domino's Pizza.

:hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on January 06, 2018, 01:51:21 PM

You can indeed read the history of the Reconquista in that map. The areas with the most red are the ones that fell earlier into Christian hands. You can easily see there the borders of the Kingdom of Asturias, the Duchy of Barcelona, then the old Kingdom of León...

alfred russel

Definitely time for a new northern crusade.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Christianity was a day late and a dollar short up here. Sry.

Eddie Teach

Do Swedes still worship Chris Hemsworth?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 06, 2018, 02:15:21 PM

You can indeed read the history of the Reconquista in that map. The areas with the most red are the ones that fell earlier into Christian hands. You can easily see there the borders of the Kingdom of Asturias, the Duchy of Barcelona, then the old Kingdom of León...

It's curious though. Would have expected the opposite with traditional not particularly religious names in the areas that mostly remained Christian and the reconquered areas getting the full jesus treatment
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2018, 04:42:26 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 06, 2018, 02:15:21 PM

It's curious though. Would have expected the opposite with traditional not particularly religious names in the areas that mostly remained Christian and the reconquered areas getting the full jesus treatment

:hmm: :unsure:

celedhring

The reconquered areas were full of people that kept calling their towns very much the same way they always did. The Reconquista didn't involve mass displacements of population (that came centuries later), just switching of political power.

mongers

Since my last post 10+ hours ago, only 6 new posts have appeared; Languish Is dying.  :(

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"