News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2013, 10:10:23 PM
I'm dying to go back to smoking, though.  But I can't, because the bullshit I'd put up with here would simply be unconscionable.

I get far too violent with my nicotine fits, and the nicotine lozenges only take the edge off for a while.

Cold turkey = 1-2 weeks of sheer hell. After than, in my experience, nothing. You still want smokes of course, but no physical symptoms.

The problem with replacement therapy is that, while it takes the edge off the nic-fits, making them more bearable, it essentially extends the period of physical symptoms indefinitely. Rather than 1-2 weeks of hell, followed by nothing, you get many weeks of heck, followed by more heck.

Problem is that most people's willpower has limits. For me, I can put up with almost any torture for a couple of weeks, but being put through a milder torture for months I could not take. Hence, gradually reducing nicotine intake strikes me as a lot harder to do successfully than just quitting.

Of course different folks are different, and what works for one doesn't for another, and all that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Who knew optical mouse got that dirty inside.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2013, 01:35:35 PM
Problem is that most people's willpower has limits. For me, I can put up with almost any torture for a couple of weeks, but being put through a milder torture for months I could not take. Hence, gradually reducing nicotine intake strikes me as a lot harder to do successfully than just quitting.

I simply do not possess the tolerance or temperament to go through cold turkey.  I've tried it before, and all it results in is broken stuff.

The Brain

Cold turkey is like frozen tuna.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Can anyone explain why the prices quoted on amazon.co.uk are different from the ones when they're in my cart?  Is it that UK law requires that VAT be added to the list price, then when they realize I'm not a subject of David Cameron's Sliding Albion, they take it out?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Another day working 8am to 9pm.
The Japanese really are onto something with their high suicide rates.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I say you should give Brittania another shot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

I think women's college volleyball might be the only sport where the players are invariably hotter than the cheerleaders. :hmm:

PDH

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 08, 2013, 09:28:51 PM
I think women's college volleyball might be the only sport where the players are invariably hotter than the cheerleaders. :hmm:

Volleyball has the best shorts...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

I've been saying since forever that womens' volleyball is the one, true, supersex sport.

Eddie Teach

Thing about volleyball players, the shape is nice but just on too large a scale.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 09:32:02 PM
I've been saying since forever that womens' volleyball is the one, true, supersex sport.

What about competitive sex?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I agree with Biscuit's definition that it's a sport only if there is defense.

11B4V

Quote from: PDH on December 08, 2013, 09:31:44 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 08, 2013, 09:28:51 PM

Volleyball has the best shorts...

+1

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/mVzcsOBZTjh/Olympics+Day+13+Beach+Volleyball/a8sw2ULpvj-/Misty+May-Treanor
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".