News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I'll be in Los Angeles for the next week.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Military Training Exercise In Miami

QuoteThe U.S. military was busy in Miami Thursday night as they conducted exercises in Downtown Miami.

CBS4 captured video of Black Hawk helicopters flying over the city as part of a joint military training exercise.

Thursday night’s training took place near the Stephen P. Clark Center in Miami and a nearby Metrorail station where troops could be seen rappelling from the military choppers onto the Metrorail station platform.

The training is designed to ensure that military personnel are able to operate in urban areas and to focus on preparations for overseas deployment.

Right.  :ph34r:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/blackhawks-used-in-military-training-exercise-in-miami/

Neil

Flight delayed by two hours.  I blame shoddy American workmanship and Tim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: Phillip V on January 27, 2013, 11:27:11 AM
Military Training Exercise In Miami

QuoteThe U.S. military was busy in Miami Thursday night as they conducted exercises in Downtown Miami.

CBS4 captured video of Black Hawk helicopters flying over the city as part of a joint military training exercise.

Thursday night's training took place near the Stephen P. Clark Center in Miami and a nearby Metrorail station where troops could be seen rappelling from the military choppers onto the Metrorail station platform.

The training is designed to ensure that military personnel are able to operate in urban areas and to focus on preparations for overseas deployment.

Right.  :ph34r:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/blackhawks-used-in-military-training-exercise-in-miami/

Heh, the preppers must be having kittens.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

I didn't know what to ask for for Christmas, so in a moment  of uncertainty I said "Hockey skates".  Which I of course received.

So since I have the damn things, I figure I need to use them.  So today I go out to the outdoor rink in our neighbourhood.

Mind you I haven't owned skates since I was approximately 12.  I first step out on the ice and have a moment of panic "I am going to fall flat on my face and everyone is going to laugh at the old man on skates".

But I didn't.  And it turned out to be a lot of fun!  Weather was absolutely perfect -4c - cold enough for good ice, but warm enough to not freeze you ass off.  And it was such a nice neighbourhood scene - several teenagers playing shinny on one half, some parents trying to teach their young children to skate, a couple of maybe 10 year old girls practicing their puck handling, and myself.

I am so going back next weekend.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

There are Ospreys flying around. I wonder if there is a drill at Calamityville scheduled.

All sorts of neat stuff show up.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I discovered ice skating late in life, and found out it was a hell of a lot easier than roller skates.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2013, 06:42:17 PM
Yeah, I discovered ice skating late in life, and found out it was a hell of a lot easier than roller skates.

Never did know how to skate.  I did work at a skating rink once.  I took a job as a concession stands guy, and three days in they told me that I was now expecting to referee the skate rink.  I gave that a shot and that ended up being my last day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2013, 07:09:13 PM
Never did know how to skate.  I did work at a skating rink once.  I took a job as a concession stands guy, and three days in they told me that I was now expecting to referee the skate rink.  I gave that a shot and that ended up being my last day.

Raz reffing Couples Skate?  I can only imagine.

Jaron

Cdm, you should do roller derby.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2013, 07:15:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2013, 07:09:13 PM

Raz reffing Couples Skate?  I can only imagine.

Laughs were had by all.  Except Raz. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Never learned to skate. :( I came to CAnada when I was 13 and deemed myself too cool then to be seen tripping over myself on skates. Years later my ex tried to get me out a couple times, but I flatly refused.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011