News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

As paid employment no longer exists in this dimension, I volunteered to help at a local free clinic or some shit.  Let's hope it goes better than the last time... well, time before last technically, I guess working in the criminal practice clinic counts.  Because there's nothing better than offering to help people, for free.  For no money.  With no compensation.  And getting thrown out on your ass.  After twenty hours of training.

When the revolution comes, Lexington County Guardian Ad Litems are definitely going to the camps.  They won't be first in line, but we'll get around to it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

No, I'm not really a luddite. I like the technology I have. As GF said, It's more a reluctance to learn new things.

As a for instance:

Got my first smart phone today. A samsung. Can't be arsed to learn how to use all of its functions. Bloody thing doesn't even come with a manual anyways. Took me for ever to figure out basic phone functions.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

I don't like them either, although I'm not a luddite.  I just don't see why I need a tiny computer.  I have a real computer, and it is much better.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2011, 02:16:18 PM
I don't like them either, although I'm not a luddite.  I just don't see why I need a tiny computer.  I have a real computer, and it is much better.

Because you can play angry birds on it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

You can play Angry Birds on a regular computer too. Though why would you want to?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

sbr

Is that good news or bad news?

Ideologue

I believe the point to be that growth in the 21st century is asserted to be far faster than in the 19th, or even the 20th.  E.g., it took 53 years for U.S. GDP per capita to double between ~1825 and ~1875, but only 24 between 2011 and 2036.  So good news.

If it happens.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

All that economic growth will come to a halt when we run out of oil and melt the ice caps though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Here is an utterly random question:  what's the best way to train yourself in using a fire extinguisher?  I'm worried that if I do need to use it, I would fumble with the ring or point it at my face instead of the fire, which is not something you want to do when there is an actual fire.  I could just buy one to empty it out and see how it works, but what would be an acceptable place to do it?  I imagine that doing it in my own apartment is not a good idea for a number of reasons.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 13, 2011, 12:28:55 AM
Here is an utterly random question:  what's the best way to train yourself in using a fire extinguisher?  I'm worried that if I do need to use it, I would fumble with the ring or point it at my face instead of the fire, which is not something you want to do when there is an actual fire.  I could just buy one to empty it out and see how it works, but what would be an acceptable place to do it?  I imagine that doing it in my own apartment is not a good idea for a number of reasons.

Just take a shot at it during the lunch break.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 12:32:43 AM
OK Mono.
I've been studying fire insurance for the last 10 hours. :bleeding: It makes you think about certain things (though generally not about fire insurance).

Ideologue

Heh.  Anyway.

If educational shorts from the 1970s are anything to go by, your local fire department will be happy to teach you fire safety, young man. :)
Kinemalogue