News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Syt

In Austria and parts of Southern Germany, presents are traditionally brought by the Christkind (Christ Child?) instead of Saint Nick. The Christkind is unseen when it sneaks in and out (in reality, parents lock the children out of the living room, and ring a bell when the presents have been arranged on the gift table).

The Christkind stands for infant Jesus, and is e.g. on Christmas markets represented by a young, blond girl, like here in Nuremberg:

I'm still looking for an explanation how Jesus turns from a blond girl into a dark haired bearded guy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2011, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 01:19:26 PM
Christmas last year was kind of fun, but at 7 months, my little guy didn't know what was going on.

At 19 months this year, he doesn't get "Santa", or know that he's going to get presents, but he does point at our tree and say "pretty tree", and he's going to realize that there are toys in those boxes once he starts opening them.

It's going to be awesome.   :cool:

Next year will be awesome, and the year after that will be even awesomer.  You've got such a short window, maybe until about 8, before the other little shits at school destroy it for him.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Here's something you'll appreciate, counselor:
My oldest niece, the 8 year old, and my brother-in-law the lawyer--

"Daddy, is there really a Santa Claus?  Or is it you that puts the presents under the Christmas tree?"
"Well, I can tell you that I've never seen the REAL Santa Claus...and I can also tell you that it's not me that puts the presents under the tree."

A legally defensible argument.   So much so, she started to write her letter to Santa.

I know - the Santa Claus belief only will last so long.

But I plan on enjoying it for as long as I can.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2011, 04:08:59 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 02:20:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2011, 02:14:00 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 02:12:45 PM
That is never socially acceptable.  Fat fucks.

Moving into one's house?

That was in reply to Mr. Anger.  Oopsie. -_-

What is the hell did I do now?

"Eat mountains of food during the one month of the year it's socially acceptable to grow love handles the size of mutated sea cucumbers." :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on December 13, 2011, 03:14:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2011, 02:44:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2011, 02:19:33 PM
A job where I can maybe associate with people  beats the shit out a job that would probably involve long periods of solitude

I beg to differ.

OK.  But I'd like to fuck again at some point in my life.
don't mix work and fun. bad things happen. very bad.

It's not a real job, mon frere.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

The mechanics and electricians are on strike so no trains getting fixed. Tactic from the bosses: call the strike illegal, call the workers for overpaid spoiled idiots and blame them for ruining christmas traffic. Yeah... that'll solve a union conflict.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Tabloid headline: Denmark Paralysed by Strike, followed by a guide on how to survive tomorrow with only half the trains driving. Talks that we might have to strike as well in sympathy, I hope not, we'll run out of coffee.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on December 14, 2011, 08:17:50 AM
Tabloid headline: Denmark Paralysed by Strike, followed by a guide on how to survive tomorrow with only half the trains driving. Talks that we might have to strike as well in sympathy, I hope not, we'll run out of coffee.

Thankfully as a Jute living 25 km. outside of Aarhus public transportation is a myth belonging to ancient times.

Cars for the win :)

Anyway good luck with the strike if it becomes relevant. It'll be interesting to see which side the public favors. On the one hand it's Christmas so many people will be pissed. On the other hand the DSB management don't exactly have that many favor points stacked with the public these days.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Ideologue

Quote from: Liep on December 14, 2011, 08:17:50 AM

Walk, because Denmark is roughly postage stamp sized. :P

(Actually, it's about South Carolina sized.)
Kinemalogue

Liep

They don't have any points with the staff either, and by the looks of it EB favours the workers so far.

The management is trying to spin it into a "we're not getting paid enough" debate, which it really isn't. So yeah, we don't want another nurse strike situation where the union completely fucked up the public debate.

Liep

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2011, 08:30:03 AM

Walk, because Denmark is roughly postage stamp sized. :P

(Actually, it's about South Carolina sized.)

It's 5-6 hours by train from Copenhagen to the northern/southern most parts of Jutland. I'm guessing the flight operators are getting flooded with bookings right now.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on December 14, 2011, 08:40:32 AM

It's 5-6 hours by train from Copenhagen to the northern/southern most parts of Jutland. I'm guessing the flight operators are getting flooded with bookings right now.

5 or 6 hours? A high-speed line would not be expensive since it's all flat. Not densely populated enough though I guess.
Checking from the Deutsche Bahn site, even the so-called ICE Hamburg-Copenhagen is not that fast (bit less than 5 hours).
Not even electrified...  :hmm:
map checking edit : it does not even go through Jutland.

Liep

The government has been slacking on funding to the railway for many decades, only the main line and the Copenhagen lines are electrified. Every time someone suggests we expand the railway system someone cries "it's too expensive, let's build a highway instead".

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2011, 09:41:44 AM

Checking from the Deutsche Bahn site, even the so-called ICE Hamburg-Copenhagen is not that fast (bit less than 5 hours).

The Germans were happy to rent us those diesel trains though (they garaged them for being too faulty), but we need them as we don't have an electrified tracks. Which is also why we ordered expensive diesel trains from an Italian company some 11 years ago (order still not completed, the few trains that are made have been pulled because of faulty brakes).

Frustrating? Yes.