Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2024, 03:58:33 AMHave we discussed that a couple of days ago the recently appointed Ukrainian chief of the army has been dismissed as well?
Syrskyi is still on his job.  It was some other chief that was fired after being denounced by someone influential.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 26, 2024, 03:18:46 AM
Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2024, 02:39:58 PMBiden administration leaning towards lifting ban on American military contractors in Ukraine: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/25/politics/biden-administration-american-military-contractors-ukraine/index.html

Interesting choice of image on the article. Patriot missiles. Are there anti-missile defence contractors?

Contractors are often used to supplement the skills of assigned military personnel for complex equipment.  One of the destroyers I was on had a GD techrep permanently assigned to help maintain our air search radar.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

QuoteLast week, President Vladimir Putin made an official state visit to the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea (DPRK) – North Korea, his first for almost a quarter of a century. As part of that visit Putin and Kim Jong Un signed a so-called defense pact in the North Korean capital on June 19.

The military treaty states: "In the event that any one of the two sides is put in a state of war by an armed invasion from an individual state or several states, the other side shall provide military and other assistance with all means in its possession without delay."

In response to that Pyongyang announced early this week that it will be sending troops in the form of a military engineering unit to support Russian forces on the ground in the Donetsk region. The troops are expected to arrive on the battlefield as soon as next month.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/34893

On one hand - Putin needing the help of Kim is kind of comical and humiliating for Putin.

On the other hand - it's worth assessing how impactful vs symbolic it is, and what it means for Ukraine's chances.

On the third hand - this could potentially mean that South Korea will allow more robust export of materiel.

Josquius

I know fascists don't care about hypocrisy.
But it is funny how it yet again implies this is actually a war.
Meanwhile in Russia people get arrested for saying the word.

I can't help but imagine the Norks are worried about sending many troops as the opportunities for escape this opens up are too large.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 26, 2024, 01:54:03 PMI can't help but imagine the Norks are worried about sending many troops as the opportunities for escape this opens up are too large.

Yeah, they can only send guys who are leaving significant hostages behind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2024, 01:11:00 PMWow, are we saying they have run out of BMPs or what?
They're mostly being transported to the front in vans now.

https://x.com/DanielR33187703/status/1798212030366941654

QuoteThe Loaf (Bukhanka), a van designed in 1965, has become russia's main battlefield transport vehicle. The Loaf reveals a lot about how well russia is doing in Ukraine.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on June 26, 2024, 01:15:56 PM
QuoteLast week, President Vladimir Putin made an official state visit to the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea (DPRK) – North Korea, his first for almost a quarter of a century. As part of that visit Putin and Kim Jong Un signed a so-called defense pact in the North Korean capital on June 19.

The military treaty states: "In the event that any one of the two sides is put in a state of war by an armed invasion from an individual state or several states, the other side shall provide military and other assistance with all means in its possession without delay."

In response to that Pyongyang announced early this week that it will be sending troops in the form of a military engineering unit to support Russian forces on the ground in the Donetsk region. The troops are expected to arrive on the battlefield as soon as next month.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/34893

On one hand - Putin needing the help of Kim is kind of comical and humiliating for Putin.

On the other hand - it's worth assessing how impactful vs symbolic it is, and what it means for Ukraine's chances.

On the third hand - this could potentially mean that South Korea will allow more robust export of materiel.

The South was already pissed at the prospect of Russia giving them technical support and schematics. I can't imagine that won't just raise the temperature even higher.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Vice president of the Russian central bank said on a monetary forum in St. Petersburg that the fresh round of sanctions around blocking international payments is killing the Russian economy and they must quickly investigate options like barter trades and crypto currency to save it from collapsing.

Jacob

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Maladict