Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Legbiter on June 14, 2024, 03:03:42 PMPutin announces his ceasefire conditions...

Ukraine would have to give up all of Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhia regions. Ukraine promises to never join NATO. Oh, and all sanctions against Russia must be lifted.

https://x.com/maxseddon/status/1801565113092084111

Yeah that's quite the offer.  Majority of Kherson and Zaporizhia Oblasts are not in Russian hands (and parts of Donetsk and Luhansk aren't either), so Ukraine is to surrender a bunch of territory Russia doesn't even control, PLUS Ukraine can't join NATO (supposedly a key Russian demand) PLUS all sanctions are dropped.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

The Russians seem confident they can win the war this summer it seems.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

The vaguely interesting offer from Russia would be:

-Russia keeps all territory under its control
-all sanctions are dropped
-Ukraine joins NATO

I still think Ukraine would say no (it still very much rewards Russia's aggression) but at least gives them something to think about.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Perhaps publishing this just after a narrowly avoided country-wide bank run doesn't help his case.

DGuller

Why is Russia demanding Russian territory from Ukraine?  :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2024, 07:35:08 PMWhy is Russia demanding Russian territory from Ukraine?  :huh:

Yeah they don't seem to be able to remember their own lies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2024, 12:23:29 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2024, 07:35:08 PMWhy is Russia demanding Russian territory from Ukraine?  :huh:

Ministry of Truth behind schedule?  :hmm:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on June 14, 2024, 03:03:42 PMPutin announces his ceasefire conditions...

Ukraine would have to give up all of Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhia regions. Ukraine promises to never join NATO. Oh, and all sanctions against Russia must be lifted.

https://x.com/maxseddon/status/1801565113092084111

It anyone was still waiting for the official admission that this is a brazen aggressive war of conquest, they have it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 15, 2024, 08:54:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2024, 12:23:29 AM

Ministry of Truth behind schedule?  :hmm:

I dunno. It depends on the specific words used, I don't know what they were, but just based on the overview I don't necessarily see the disconnect here.
Ukraine has to withdraw from all our rightful territory which they, the evil invaders, are partially occupying.
Obviously that's our minimum requirement for a cease fire.
Kind of just mirroring Ukraine.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2024, 01:17:05 PMIt anyone was still waiting for the official admission that this is a brazen aggressive war of conquest, they have it.

Yeah just a naked landgrab, nothing in there about denazification of gay NATO Satanists...
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

I am not sure if it's true because I won't bother reading Putins "offer" but allegedly it has something about NATO removing itself from Eastern Europe. So there you go.

Zanza

We should make a counteroffer for Putin to remove himself from Eastern Europe.