Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 03, 2024, 12:18:23 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2024, 02:01:04 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 02, 2024, 03:50:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2024, 03:47:43 PMIn a perverse sense it makes some sense, if you rule your country like you play Victoria 3.  People are renewable resource: no matter how comfortably they live, they still die at some point.  Borders are a little more permanent, especially in the nuclear age.  Spending resources on something temporary, like people, is the true waste, unless it somehow helps you with getting permanent gains.

I've not played Victoria 3 yet.
It's such a change to 2 that the optimal way to play isn't a mad dash towards social democracy?

Social democracy is still superior but due to the strength and vested interests of influence groups such as the nobility, passing reforms can be very challenging, you have to grind their power down piecemeal. I think within some limits, with some countries it is a viable strategy to maintain the old order and grab the bonuses that's giving you.

right. If your package of starting laws is pretty good, then there is more flexibility.  If your starting law package sucks - e.g. traditionalism, isolationism, serfdom/slavery, etc.  - then it becomes the priority to beat down the influence of the Landowners ASAP and that usually means going in a social democratic or at least liberalizing direction.

Yes except it's much harder to achieve that than in vicky2

Josquius

Bad news at the minute with Ukrainian airfields keep being hit destroying their planes.
You'd think after so many years they'd have figured out how to hide their planes better.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/07/03/for-a-third-day-in-a-row-russian-drones-and-rockets-struck-a-ukrainian-airfield-hitting-priceless-aircraft/
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

You should have read the article you posted.  It explains the problem.

QuoteIt's an air defense crisis. Normally, the Ukrainians would protect their most important bases with layers of surface-to-air missiles. But the Ukrainian air force and army are struggling to simultaneously cover cities, major troop concentrations and front-line bases such as the Mirgorod, Poltava and Dolgintsevo airfields.

It's apparent that, in prioritizing air cover for the cities, the Ukrainian armed forces have left their airfields less protected. The Russian drone that surveilled Poltava was visible to everyday Ukrainians on the ground for three hours before the Iskander missile struck. Clearly, no one had any way of shooting it down.

Josquius

How does this in any way mean I haven't read it?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 04, 2024, 07:29:48 AMHow does this in any way mean I haven't read it?

Because you claimed they had enough time to figure out how to hide their aircraft.  Fact is they have never hidden them, and I am not sure what that even means. Instead they have always protected their fighters with anti-missile systems.