News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on July 16, 2024, 10:45:11 AMThat's right garbon, it was not a comment on the threshold of using lethal force nor on the practicality for firing guns in pursuit of non-lethal outcomes for the target.

It was about rejoicing that lethal force was necessary to begin with.

That is even more of a stretch than thinking it was part of a revenge fantasy.  Lethal force was certainly required.  There is nothing wrong with commenting that the force that was necessary actually worked.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 16, 2024, 10:45:11 AMThat's right garbon, it was not a comment on the threshold of using lethal force nor on the practicality for firing guns in pursuit of non-lethal outcomes for the target.

It was about rejoicing that lethal force was necessary to begin with.
Yeah - and I agree.

I think his statement works absolutely fine without that sentence. Or with a generic "thankful to first responders" kind of statement - although that may be challenging given that it seems like the Secret Service have questions to answer.

QuoteBut really - I'm kind of happy the guy is dead also.  Guys like Hinkley or Sirhan Sirhan remained people of note for years afterwards.  Even given that it's coming out that Crooks was a Republican I'd hate to see him become a leftist cause celebre in the aftermath of the shooting.
I'm not making any comment on the practicality or what police should do.

But is the other side not the Lee Harvey Oswald style conspiracy? It is never really established why so you just get theory rushing in? Which I think we're already see.

In a way I think Hinckley is the best outcome for this sort of attack. The reasons become known and are crazy. I feel like that's a better end result?
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2024, 11:00:09 AMThat is even more of a stretch than thinking it was part of a revenge fantasy.  Lethal force was certainly required.  There is nothing wrong with commenting that the force that was necessary actually worked.

You can have your value judgement, and I'll have mine.

In mine, rejoicing in death (in Beeb's quote - Pierre is "glad that the shooter was dead") is different from noting that it is the best course of action, that it is required, or that it was carried out successfully.

That said, I'm sure Beeb is pleased that you don't find fault with Poilievre in this.

Zoupa

QC is asking other provinces to take their fair share of refugees. Despite being 22% of the population, QC takes in 50% of refugees. Response from BC & Alberta: nah dude, we're full.

It reinforces my thinking since I move out west: the racist, anti-immigrant, backwards Quebecers are kind but not nice. West Coast anglos are nice but not kind.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on July 16, 2024, 03:47:22 PMQC is asking other provinces to take their fair share of refugees. Despite being 22% of the population, QC takes in 50% of refugees. Response from BC & Alberta: nah dude, we're full.

It reinforces my thinking since I move out west: the racist, anti-immigrant, backwards Quebecers are kind but not nice. West Coast anglos are nice but not kind.

So I mean I'm not going to get into characterizing Quebeckers.

But there is a certain kind of infuriating Canadian "politeness" - in particular around immigration.  People will go to great lengths to show they aren't racist/sexist/whatever - but that's really easy to do when (unlike the US) we don't have great waves of migrants crossing our border.

That being said... are you sure your numbers are correct?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/549635/number-of-permanent-resident-refugees-canada-by-province-or-territory/

Suggests that Ontario takes in the large majority of refugees.  Alberta is second, Quebec third, BC fourth (and BC/AB/QC all relatively close in numbers).  If anything we should all (including Quebec) be helping out Ontario.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Statista says different . Ontario has 38k permanent resident refugees admitted in 2022 vs Quebec's 7.8k, which is close to BC 7.1k .

Now this was just the first source that popped up on Google, so I'm more then willing to accept other sources that says otherwise. Plus this is only 2022.

*edit* beaten by BB
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 16, 2024, 04:05:21 PMStatista says different . Ontario has 38k permanent resident refugees admitted in 2022 vs Quebec's 7.8k, which is close to BC 7.1k .

Now this was just the first source that popped up on Google, so I'm more then willing to accept other sources that says otherwise. Plus this is only 2022.

*edit* beaten by BB

:ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

There might be a disconnect between claimants and those that get granted asylum, as I've found this on unhcr.ca

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Zoupa

I'm talking about claimants I guess. Basically folks crossing the border from NY to QC. QC then has to provide for these folks. QC is asking other provinces to share the load.

HVC

From the two charts looks like if you get to Alberta or BC you've got a good chance of getting asylum, about a 60% chance for Ontario and a 12% chance for Quebec (roughly of course).

Wonder what the ethnic make up is for claimants in the provinces are. Also how long the average claimant stays before getting rejected.

Zoupa

That's not how this works. You'd need to track where folks enter vs where the same folks make their asylum demand.

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on July 16, 2024, 06:15:26 PMThat's not how this works. You'd need to track where folks enter vs where the same folks make their asylum demand.

Just wondering why the ones entering through quebec (or making claims in quebec I guess) get rejected at a higher level. Obviously it's not quebec deciding who stays, it's a federal thing as far as I recall. STCA keeps refugees crossing into Canada from the US by land out (moslty) so border crossing of that nature shouldn't effect numbers that much, I don't think.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 16, 2024, 05:36:17 PMFrom the two charts looks like if you get to Alberta or BC you've got a good chance of getting asylum, about a 60% chance for Ontario and a 12% chance for Quebec (roughly of course).

Wonder what the ethnic make up is for claimants in the provinces are. Also how long the average claimant stays before getting rejected.

I looked for information from the organization running that website regarding where successful claimants axtually settled and they didn't provide much information other than to say predominantly in smaller communities across Canada.

In answer to your second question, the reason the claimant's entering into Quebec are rejected at a higher percentage is because Quebec gets the highest number of irregular crossings.  BC gets by far the greatest number of people making their claim at an appropriate location-normally the airport.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

More like it's taken you 50 years to understand that Quebec is not the only province that has difficulty dealing with Ottawa.