News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The similarities are they are both going into an election which their party will most likely lose if they don't step aside.  There is still risk that even if they do so their parties will lose.  But the do nothing option for both parties is akin to closing their eyes and driving off a cliff.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2024, 09:55:30 AMThere have been several more moves since you last posted about it
But there's not much more to say about it.

It's all more of the same: he's getting increased pressure to resign, but nothing is going to happen this summer.

I do not like PP, I do not think he will make a good PM, I think Canada will take a step back with PP as a leader, but I have no illusion that PP will step back once he is defeated in another election.

This isn't a USA scenario.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I remember.

It was a necessity to get rid of Harper to increase Canada's standing to the world.

If it is now a necessity to get rid of Tudeau to increase Canada's standing to the world, could it be that Canada's problem lies... elsewhere?

Canada's global reputation suffering under Trudeau, Garneau asserts in autobiography

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 05, 2024, 04:46:05 PMI remember.

It was a necessity to get rid of Harper to increase Canada's standing to the world.

If it is now a necessity to get rid of Tudeau to increase Canada's standing to the world, could it be that Canada's problem lies... elsewhere?

Canada's global reputation suffering under Trudeau, Garneau asserts in autobiography

So look - I think Trudeau is worse than Harper in terms of foreign policy.  Hell I think Trudeau is worse than Harper in almost everything.

But I don't think Harper did very well in terms of foreign policy either.

We're just not a very serious country when it comes to foreign policy.  We don't put in the time or resources.  I'm in part thinking of military spending (which has been abysmal under both parties) but not just limited to that.  We're a G7 country, a NATO country, a five-eyes intelligence country.  We should be a "big deal" on the world scene, but we really aren't. m We'd rather just be on the sidelines offering criticism to everyone without actually doing much of anything to help.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

It is what I'm alluding to.  We are not devoting any effort to our international standing.  We're just trying to bask in some past glory when one diplomat tried to mediate a peace between Palestinians and Israelis and our Blue Helmets were part of every UN peace keaping missions.