News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Surprised we haven't been talking about Jasper. Relatively close to BB, and CC's favourite winter haunt.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I posted about it on the climate change thread, and I think BB is away.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 28, 2024, 07:07:40 AMSurprised we haven't been talking about Jasper. Relatively close to BB, and CC's favourite winter haunt.

Not sure what to say, other than it's a tragedy.

I was out camping the past 10 days.  I could get tentative cell service which meant I did follow what was happening in Jasper on Twitter.  That first night when it seemed the entire town might be in flames was just tragic.  Glad to see "only" a portion of the town burned.

Mind you Twitter is a terrible way to follow current events.  You immediately got a bunch of messages blaming the Feds (because it's in a National Park!) for their forest management plans, and an equal number of messages blaming the province (because it's an Alberta municipality) for ignoring climate change/cutting forest fire fighting budgets.

I would love to see a more impartial assessment afterwards.

First, I do believe that climate change is an important factor, and Alberta and Canada should do more.  But also Alberta and Canada can not stop climate change on their own, so it's important to look at what can/should be done to mitigate the risks.  Topics like both forest management (in particular in light of pine beetle forest deaths) and forest fire fighting strategies are very valid.

It was ironic though.  Me and my family were out camping this entire time.  The first several days we were in 30+ temperatures.  So, if you're going to be in Alberta in that kind of heat, being out camping by a lake is about as good as it gets.

But there was also a fire ban.

So during the 30+ temps that was no big deal since it was so stinking hot anways.  But it started raining almost continuously from Wednesday night until mid-way Friday.  But this was also exactly when Jasper was burning, so no chance the fire ban would be lifted.  So we shivered in our cap ground without a fire in the rain.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2024, 08:21:06 PMFirst, I do believe that climate change is an important factor, and Alberta and Canada should do more.  But also Alberta and Canada can not stop climate change on their own, so it's important to look at what can/should be done to mitigate the risks.  Topics like both forest management (in particular in light of pine beetle forest deaths) and forest fire fighting strategies are very valid.

The second part is obviously very important.

But on the first part, if we do nothing, we aren't contributing to the fight.

Like with our military...

Also, technogically speaking, on some fronts, it seems China has bridged the gap and is now ahead of us while we still refuse to invest in clean energy and stick to our old ways.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Looks like the B.C. Conservatives are going to make this provincial election a contest.  They just picked up another sitting MLA and they are within 3 points of the NDP in recent polling.

BC United, the rebranded BC Liberal party, is in some trouble.  They are now polling behind the Greens.

crazy canuck

And on the Federal stage, elections Canada released updated fundraising totals.

The Conservatives are continuing their fundraising dominance from last year. They are up to 20.5M, Liberals have raised 6.9, and the NDP 2.6.

For those outside Canada, we have no corporate donations, and so these numbers represent individual financial support.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2024, 05:01:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2024, 11:06:04 AMwe have no corporate donations
Officially.

And for those doing it unofficially, its a regulatory offence punishable by fine or imprisonment. So not recommended.

Zoupa

I guess the Kremlin picked their candidate.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2024, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2024, 05:01:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2024, 11:06:04 AMwe have no corporate donations
Officially.

And for those doing it unofficially, its a regulatory offence punishable by fine or imprisonment. So not recommended.
SNC did it for years.  In the end, they didn't go down for this.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zoupa on August 04, 2024, 02:57:11 PMI guess the Kremlin picked their candidate.

You only say that because you weren't there. As a native Northern Ontario native, it was refreshing to see a leader who truly gets our unique challenges.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 04, 2024, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 04, 2024, 02:57:11 PMI guess the Kremlin picked their candidate.

You only say that because you weren't there. As a native Northern Ontario native, it was refreshing to see a leader who truly gets our unique challenges.

Are you sure you aren't still buzzing.

Oexmelin

Two weeks.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Building more housing is being hindered by the number of developers in financial distress.

The cost of construction has gone up dramatically since 2017 (over 100% in Toronto and 80% on average across the country) and lending rates have almost tripled.

viper37

Pablo Rodriguez may want to join the race to Quebec Liberal Party leadership.

Not so long ago, nobody was interested, but every since Denis Codererre confirmed he was interested, suddenly, everything has moved along, and everyone wants to lead the party now.

Also, Jean Charest's son, Antoine Dionne-Charest has announced he will join the party next year and seek election.  I'm betting on some West Island neighbourhood.