News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2024, 01:43:04 AMSociety will grind to a halt if people have to ascertain absolute knowledge about other individuals when dealing with them. Do I know if the airline pilot knows what they're doing, or should I cancel my flight? Or should I assume that they do, and relax?

Well it is different if the person is understood to be vetted to do a job.  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2024, 02:11:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2024, 01:43:04 AMSociety will grind to a halt if people have to ascertain absolute knowledge about other individuals when dealing with them. Do I know if the airline pilot knows what they're doing, or should I cancel my flight? Or should I assume that they do, and relax?

How? It's all probabilities. Not all airline pilots know what they're doing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Hot take: to claim that you can "present" as member of a gender means that you believe each gender has behaviours (clothing etc) which define them. Which is the exact behaviour BB did with his original theatre claim.

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 20, 2024, 03:15:43 AMHot take: to claim that you can "present" as member of a gender means that you believe each gender has behaviours (clothing etc) which define them. Which is the exact behaviour BB did with his original theatre claim.

Just sit down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2024, 03:24:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 20, 2024, 03:15:43 AMHot take: to claim that you can "present" as member of a gender means that you believe each gender has behaviours (clothing etc) which define them. Which is the exact behaviour BB did with his original theatre claim.

Just sit down.

I mean, how else can you "present" a gender? There must be agreed rules/guidelines that define attribute X as making you gender Y otherwise "presenting" is not possible.

Sheilbh

There's a difference, though, between a generalisation forming a stereotype which I think is the thing many of you are talking about and a stereotype emerging from the social construction/rules (which I think is actually more the gay men and musicals point though I could be wrong). Both may also be tied to actual reality - which is, in turn, constrained and constructed in other ways.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Even if we assume that gays are more into theater and musicals - is that intrinsically, or is this because it developed over time, e.g. because certain activities were "safe spaces" more so than others.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 20, 2024, 03:40:45 AMThere's a difference, though, between a generalisation forming a stereotype which I think is the thing many of you are talking about and a stereotype emerging from the social construction/rules (which I think is actually more the gay men and musicals point though I could be wrong). Both may also be tied to actual reality - which is, in turn, constrained and constructed in other ways.

Society compels gay men to like musical theater?  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2024, 03:47:44 AMEven if we assume that gays are more into theater and musicals - is that intrinsically, or is this because it developed over time, e.g. because certain activities were "safe spaces" more so than others.

I am pretty sure the safe space bit is part of it. I mean, imagine you want to be part of a community that'll accept you as a gay man, even nowadays let alone previous decades: would you choose the theater or a football team?

PJL

So like Jews and banking / finance. Other careers were restricted to them in the past so they became merchants and then bankers. Which in turn created the stereotypes for them.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2024, 12:56:51 AMIt only gives you a probability about a person, but not facts about them.

If 75% of all people with blonde hair and green eyes like eggs for breakfast, then there's a better than even chance a random person with blonde hair and green eyes that you meet will like eggs for breakfast, but you won't know until you ask them.
It does give you a probability, but I wouldn't preface it with "only".  Probabilities are information also.  Probability is not as good as certainty, but it's better than ignorance.

Grey Fox

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason & while can be demeaning they will usually comme from a place of reality.

Also, the human mind loves confirmation bias.

My cousin, she's a cop. She says that the Academy (& the regular school before) was lesbian heaven. She was pretty happy about it too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2024, 02:42:36 AM

Ok but the probability that somebody with a job of airline pilot can pilot airplanes is different than assuming every airline pilot is a married man who cheats on his wife when he stays overnight in a city while doing his job.

The first is, you know, central to being an airline pilot and the second is a generality that may even be true for a majority of airline pilots but is probably unfair to just assume about all of them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2024, 09:21:07 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2024, 02:42:36 AM

Ok but the probability that somebody with a job of airline pilot can pilot airplanes is different than assuming every airline pilot is a married man who cheats on his wife when he stays overnight in a city while doing his job.

The first is, you know, central to being an airline pilot and the second is a generality that may even be true for a majority of airline pilots but is probably unfair to just assume about all of them.

I don't think that every probability is the same, if that's what you mean.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.