News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

On the topic of stereotyping....
I'm currently doing that most exciting of things and renewing my car insurance (oh for the day when I can dump that pile of evil metal).
It's one of the weird things about it that different jobs give different premiums. And not just expected stuff like travelling salesmen pay more. There's tools online where you compare your job title with other titles you could claim to be your job and pick the cheapest.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

I notice if I put it costs me £400 with a job title vaguely close to mine (actual job isn't included) then as a 'VDU Operator' I would only pay £314. Does this seem legit? VDU just means a computer monitor right?...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I am sure if you ever have to make a substantial claim, the insurance company will be all over this piece of info to show how you lied and therefore they don't owe you a thing.

Tamas

Reading the Guardian's Sutherland obituary I came across this: "For Bertolucci in his Italian epic 1900, he played an actual fascist, the gruesomely named Attila"

Attila is a common Hungarian first name.  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2024, 05:10:41 AMReading the Guardian's Sutherland obituary I came across this: "For Bertolucci in his Italian epic 1900, he played an actual fascist, the gruesomely named Attila"

Yes.
And?
They're gruesome right?

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2024, 03:43:36 AMI am sure if you ever have to make a substantial claim, the insurance company will be all over this piece of info to show how you lied and therefore they don't owe you a thing.

It isn't lying though. Legally its apparently defined as someone who spends more than 2 hours of their workday using a monitor. i.e. basically any office worker.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Well just be sure that's actually correct.

And I could totally be offended about the Attila thing, I bet it's only Eastern European culture and names you can write like that without getting into trouble.

But I know it stemmed from ignorance of our culture, not hatred of it.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2024, 03:45:30 PMGrumbler:
Try this link:
Link

I copy pasted the full text.

(snip)

Very much appreciated!  I didn't see anything truly new, but was unaware of the total number of red flags Rush was ignoring.  The bit about the whistleblower getting successfully sued by OceanGate was new and interesting, even if not directly related to the disaster.  It would be interesting to see details about that case, given the normal protections for whistleblowers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2024, 05:10:41 AMReading the Guardian's Sutherland obituary I came across this: "For Bertolucci in his Italian epic 1900, he played an actual fascist, the gruesomely named Attila"

And gruelosh is a national dish, correct?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

I find it odd that Attila is still popular. He wasn't magyar so I assume it's not a pre settlement name common to magyar?

Is Attila a folk hero in hungary?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2024, 07:58:19 AM

And gruelosh is a national dish, correct?

:lol:

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 21, 2024, 08:23:55 AMI find it odd that Attila is still popular. He wasn't magyar so I assume it's not a pre settlement name common to magyar?

Is Attila a folk hero in hungary?

IDK about the cultural history of the name (and to be fair nowadays boys who are not named Dominik seem to be named Oliver and other such nonsense), but the popular "foundation myth" for Hungarians is that we are related to/descendants of, the Huns.

HVC

Viktor not a popular new born name? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 21, 2024, 08:34:10 AMViktor not a popular new born name? :P

Here's the top 10 back to 2016:

Big switch since I was a kid. With the partial exceptions of Adam David and Daniel these names were super rare. Whereas, an elementary class of 36 we had 5 Tamases  :D

Syt

No Gary? I assumed the country was named after the Hun, Gary. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas