News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2024, 12:51:12 PMI understand your annoyance at people being attached to something you don't care about, especially when there's a Guardian article telling you it's bad... but what exactly makes it pompous?

Using a fireplace when you have gas and/or electricity available.

The Brain

In Sweden many people use fireplaces recreationally.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on January 28, 2024, 01:42:03 PMIn Sweden many people use fireplaces recreationally.

If you oppose the word pompous, pretentious applies as well.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on January 28, 2024, 01:36:56 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2024, 12:51:12 PMI understand your annoyance at people being attached to something you don't care about, especially when there's a Guardian article telling you it's bad... but what exactly makes it pompous?

Using a fireplace when you have gas and/or electricity available.

For my dad it's about saving momey
He has a ready supply of waste wood.
Not sure on the environmental pros and cons there but it's hard to beat substantial money savings

I'm surprised this article speaks of an Australian study though. I didn't expect they got that cold.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Doesn't the UK have the highest number of fake fireplaces anywhere btw?

Zanza

Tamas will be shocked when he hears about candles.

Tamas

:rolleyes:

The reason for my ire is an article I read a couple of years ago about how many people in the UK had fireplaces installed recently just to stink up their neighbourhoods, in effect. My favourite guy interviewed there was shocked to learn the smoke he creates pollutes. I mean, who could figure that one out, am I right?

My parents, for example, as a reserve option to gas kept their coal and wood burning... what do you call it, furnace, boiler? It is linked to the central heating of the house and is in the basement.

What I can't abide is using this more polluting method to fancy up your living room.

The Brain

Boss: Tamas of the Beeting Depths, Hater of Cozy.

FunkMonk

Connections
Puzzle #231
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟪
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on January 28, 2024, 01:18:24 PMThe "I like it so who cares about it being terrible" attitude is pretty symptomatic of our world being shit.

Sure.

Another symptom is the absolute abundance of people telling you whatever it is you're doing is terrible and demanding that you do absolutely everything in your power to satisfy their one particular one dimensional obsession.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on January 28, 2024, 01:51:54 PMIf you oppose the word pompous, pretentious applies as well.

I think we have different definitions of those words.

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on January 28, 2024, 01:57:48 PMFor my dad it's about saving momey
He has a ready supply of waste wood.
Not sure on the environmental pros and cons there but it's hard to beat substantial money savings

Your dad is obviously both pompous and pretentious.

HVC

Guess we know who likes to use their fireplace :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2024, 07:09:53 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2024, 06:31:44 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 24, 2024, 11:11:41 PMWhen the whole meat of your news article is what people are complaining about on Twitter/X...I think you need rethink your credentials as a journalist.  It is no better than random "man on the street" interviews.

100 per cent agreed.Nothing I hate more than reading a news story that begins " So-and-so took Twitter by storm yesterday..." or "Twitter is outraged that so and so..."

You may remember back in the time before time when news broadcasts had reporters go out in the street to interview people about their views.

Indeed I do...and it was primarily local news/on local issues, or not taken anywhere near as seriously, and especially not as the primary sources of news piece.