News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 24, 2024, 11:11:41 PMWhen the whole meat of your news article is what people are complaining about on Twitter/X...I think you need rethink your credentials as a journalist.  It is no better than random "man on the street" interviews.

100 per cent agreed.Nothing I hate more than reading a news story that begins " So-and-so took Twitter by storm yesterday..." or "Twitter is outraged that so and so..."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Yeah especially with, say, the BBC or similar outlets. It's not good. But it is cheap.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2024, 06:31:44 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 24, 2024, 11:11:41 PMWhen the whole meat of your news article is what people are complaining about on Twitter/X...I think you need rethink your credentials as a journalist.  It is no better than random "man on the street" interviews.

100 per cent agreed.Nothing I hate more than reading a news story that begins " So-and-so took Twitter by storm yesterday..." or "Twitter is outraged that so and so..."

You may remember back in the time before time when news broadcasts had reporters go out in the street to interview people about their views.

garbon

I just looked at users by country and checked a few % (US/UK/JP/Brazil/Turkey/India - all with significant # of millions of users). With the exception of Japan where it looks like half of the country has a twitter account, we are looking at 25% or less of the population by country.

When will journalists stop reporting on just their bubble?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2024, 07:28:14 AMI just looked at users by country and checked a few % (US/UK/JP/Brazil/Turkey/India - all with significant # of millions of users). With the exception of Japan where it looks like half of the country has a twitter account, we are looking at 25% or less of the population by country.

When will journalists stop reporting on just their bubble?

I mean, that's like, more effort just to receive less attention.

Syt

Apparently the Game Boy Advance has a known quirk that when a game crashes it GBA plays a "death song" that's unique for each game.

Apparently it's the GBA playing the entire ROM as audio, and a guy has figured out a method to turn the sound data back into a ROM:

https://www.tomshardware.com/video-games/handheld-gaming/game-boy-advance-games-can-be-recreated-from-the-sound-they-make-when-they-die-modder-demonstrates

Reminds me of the 80s when a computer show in Germany would broadcast an software as an audio signal viewers could record on audio tape and then plop into their datasette.

There's a German language article on the topic. Apparently the method was used in e.g. Poland and Yugoslavia to share bootleg software. :D
https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000072781698/die-wilden-80er-als-radiosender-raubkopien-von-spielen-ausstrahlten

Video of the GBA modder. Pleasantly retro by using on screen text instead of spoken word. :D Remember tutorial videos without audio where people would type their text into Notepad, because nobody was using microphones for their videos? :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Should we invite Russell Crowe to Languish? Or at least give him Tim's address so they can be penpals?  :cheers:

You cannot see attachments on this board.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2024, 06:59:33 AMApparently the Game Boy Advance has a known quirk that when a game crashes it GBA plays a "death song" that's unique for each game.

Apparently it's the GBA playing the entire ROM as audio, and a guy has figured out a method to turn the sound data back into a ROM:

https://www.tomshardware.com/video-games/handheld-gaming/game-boy-advance-games-can-be-recreated-from-the-sound-they-make-when-they-die-modder-demonstrates

Reminds me of the 80s when a computer show in Germany would broadcast an software as an audio signal viewers could record on audio tape and then plop into their datasette.

There's a German language article on the topic. Apparently the method was used in e.g. Poland and Yugoslavia to share bootleg software. :D
https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000072781698/die-wilden-80er-als-radiosender-raubkopien-von-spielen-ausstrahlten

Video of the GBA modder. Pleasantly retro by using on screen text instead of spoken word. :D Remember tutorial videos without audio where people would type their text into Notepad, because nobody was using microphones for their videos? :lol:

Thanks, I love geek channels with weird pointless hacks like that.

I'm impressed by how sophisticated the Chinese counterfeit game card turned out to be.

Syt

Yeah, that was unexpected. "Let's use cheaper and easier to use hardware ... great, now we need to trick the game into believing it's running on an original ROM ...."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on January 27, 2024, 08:46:00 AMShould we invite Russell Crowe to Languish? Or at least give him Tim's address so they can be penpals?  :cheers:

You cannot see attachments on this board.

:boff:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Are you not entertained?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Connections
Puzzle #230
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟪
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Another pompous middle class scourge: using Woodburners when you don't have to: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/26/domestic-wood-burners-having-a-deadly-impact-in-outside-areas

Check the comments how many writes "I like my open fire why should I change?"

Jacob

I understand your annoyance at people being attached to something you don't care about, especially when there's a Guardian article telling you it's bad... but what exactly makes it pompous?

Josquius

The "I like it so who cares about it being terrible" attitude is pretty symptomatic of our world being shit.
██████
██████
██████