News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Dude on the left has the most heft.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Apparently Gen Z don't use dating apps.

https://www.wired.com/story/end-of-dating-apps/

Now this surprises me given the well established fact that they drink less than previous generations- I had the head canon going that why bother doing that when they just hook up super directly on tinder or whatever other apps have appeared.

On the surface I approve but I have to suspect the alternative is worse.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

The youngest zoomers are 11. It's still too early to call any of these things all those journos are writing about.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Met my wife on a dating website. Same thing with several of our friends. Maybe it's a millennial thing.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

From what I understand, dating apps have become seriously shittified in the last handful of years.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2023, 11:32:42 AMFrom what I understand, dating apps have become seriously shittified in the last handful of years.

Do you know any specifics about what got worse about them?

Feels like they were never all thT glam to begin with.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2023, 11:42:49 AM
Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2023, 11:32:42 AMFrom what I understand, dating apps have become seriously shittified in the last handful of years.

Do you know any specifics about what got worse about them?

I don't know what it used to be like.  From what my boys tell me, there is no chance of a meaningful connection.  Dates, if one can call it that, are expensive. And a lot of women go on multiple dates with multiple people.  On top of that most dates are more like a job interview. The old ways are returning - asking people out in person.  That way the two already know something about the other person, and they can just go out, have some laughs and see if a closer connection is possible/worth pursuing.  At worst another friend can be made.  Something which also doesn't really happen with online dating.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 04, 2023, 12:43:21 PMI don't know what it used to be like.  From what my boys tell me, there is no chance of a meaningful connection.  Dates, if one can call it that, are expensive. And a lot of women go on multiple dates with multiple people.  On top of that most dates are more like a job interview.

All of that sounds like what online dating has often been like. A numbers game.

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 04, 2023, 12:43:21 PMThe old ways are returning - asking people out in person.  That way the two already know something about the other person, and they can just go out, have some laughs and see if a closer connection is possible/worth pursuing.  At worst another friend can be made.  Something which also doesn't really happen with online dating.

I wonder if this is a straight vs gay difference as I've several friends from online dates that didn't pan out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2023, 11:42:49 AMDo you know any specifics about what got worse about them?

The complaints I have come across are:

• An increasing number of scammers / insta-follower marketers in the ecosystems.
  • Algorithm and interface changes to manipulate potential matches / selections in support of various monetization strategies.
  • The proliferation of optimizing strategies among the userbase that may improve individual odds, but changes the overall experience for the worse in aggregate (swiping yes on everyone, ghosting as a standard behaviour).

... now this isn't based on personal experience. I barely used app based dating back then (though I did meet one GF via Facebook), and I haven't been on the dating market for years and years.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2023, 12:55:01 PMI wonder if this is a straight vs gay difference as I've several friends from online dates that didn't pan out.

My understanding is that there are significant differences in the dynamics of gay and straight online dating.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2023, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2023, 12:55:01 PMI wonder if this is a straight vs gay difference as I've several friends from online dates that didn't pan out.

My understanding is that there are significant differences in the dynamics of gay and straight online dating.

Well obviously. :P