News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on November 25, 2023, 05:19:29 PMJust looked it up, new doctor going to be played by a gay black actor? That's gonna go over well with a certain demographic :D
Gay black guy who moved here as a refugee when he was a kid :lol: Although that was announced a while ago so I think any rage about that (not sure I saw any) will have already gone by now.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Wonder if he'll have a manpanion love interest.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on November 25, 2023, 04:54:08 PMNew Dr who. David tenant is back.
That was... Not good.
And given the blunt diversity stuff in there you just know the nuts will be blaming that.
But no. It managed to be pretty groan worthy on its own merits.
I was trying to remember how I knew that name.
Looking up the pictures, trying to remember how I knew that face.
Killgrave!
(from Jessica Jones).

Incidentally, I have never watched a single Dr Who episode to completion.  I have watched *a lot* of bad sci-fi, but I could never get into Dr Who.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 25, 2023, 05:19:29 PMJust looked it up, new doctor going to be played by a gay black actor? That's gonna go over well with a certain demographic :D
I don't know if that's really who's playing the character than what is shown on screen.
Well, black, obviously, but the actor being gay might not matter as much as making Dr. Who gay even if played by a straight white guy.
That would be problematic with a certain demographic.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

The David Tenant one sucked.  It was pompous and heavy handed. 

Hopefully the next will be good.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

David Tennet special that was released today that is.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Pompous, heavy handed, bluntly diverse - I mean surely you can't be talking about a Russell T Davies production :lol: :P

(I love him, but these can be occasional flaws...:ph34r:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Bluntly diverse? It was smug virtue signalling. 
PDH!

Josquius

As said. Blaming the diversity ignores the naffness of the episode on its own merits and how it managed to be silly completely unrelated to trans and disabled people.

I did like the "we all do" joke about weaponised wheel chairs... But it could have been handled less silly.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

As if Doctor Who has ever been anything but silly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2023, 06:07:54 AMAs if Doctor Who has ever been anything but silly.

I agree. He's a regenerative alien who alternates between a English and Scottish accent between rebirth. Also for a time traveling spacefairing creature hes strangly obsessed with contempary uk :P He's also now been a woman . Being black is well within his character.

Still, people will be upset. But according to sheilbh major blowback hasn't happened it. Bit surprised by that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on November 26, 2023, 05:54:31 AMAs said. Blaming the diversity ignores the naffness of the episode on its own merits and how it managed to be silly completely unrelated to trans and disabled people.

I did like the "we all do" joke about weaponised wheel chairs... But it could have been handled less silly.

Being extra dumb on top of an already bad episode doesn't take away from the extra dumb being bad or making the episode especially bad.

Caveat, I haven't watched the episode.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on November 26, 2023, 06:33:09 AM
Quote from: Josquius on November 26, 2023, 05:54:31 AMAs said. Blaming the diversity ignores the naffness of the episode on its own merits and how it managed to be silly completely unrelated to trans and disabled people.

Being extra dumb on top of an already bad episode doesn't take away from the extra dumb being bad or making the episode especially bad.

Caveat, I haven't watched the episode.

Having a trans daughter or there being a scientist in a wheelchair could be perfectly fine plot points.
The clunky dialogue and cringe worthy monster design... Hard to deal with.

The main example of this kind of blaming diversity for shit being shit that comes to mind for me is witcher.
Triss being mixed race is irrelevant.
Its the rest of the production from series 2 on which really fucked up.
Yet the fandom is always raging about teh woke ruining it because Triss isn't a white woman with red hair and giant boobies on display
██████
██████
██████

HVC

It's always the gingers. Starting to feel bad for them :P

Threviel

Reminds me of the time where I entirely accidentally listened to the first time a German football team match was commented by a woman.

She sucked something horrendeously, we all thought so. We were quite used to female sportscasters so thought nothing of it, just thought she was horrible and wondered why they let her comment.

Apparently it was a minor scandal and she was defended by people saying negative comments were gender based.

Something can suck balls even though it's inclusive and the sucking can be entirely unrelated to the inclusiveness.