And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 02:18:19 PMYou get more latinas than us, if that's your thing :D

I like smaller butts.  :cry:

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on November 15, 2023, 02:04:50 PMOn you wouldn't complain if they were white... I do recall a few years a movie named Gods of Egypt attracted a fair bit of controversy for its cast of north European descent people.

You complained about that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2023, 02:27:53 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 02:18:19 PMYou get more latinas than us, if that's your thing :D

I like smaller butts.  :cry:

... You're a straight man right?
No to Latinas?
Some people don't know how good they have it.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on November 15, 2023, 02:33:26 PM... You're a straight man right?
No to Latinas?
Some people don't know how good they have it.

The grass is always greener I guess.

Admiral Yi

On that note, RIP Latinx, you well intentioned absurdity.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2023, 07:35:32 PMGladiator 2 is coming, with Denzel Washington starring in it, apparently.

Speaking of the devil, he'll play Hannibal in an Antoine Fuqua led movie.  A movie that was for a long while rumored to star Vin Diesel.  Vin Diesel might have looked the part better in hand to hand combat, fist fighting his opponents on the battlefield, but Denzel has the acting skills.  It's a toss up, really. :P :P

Link

I hope they cast Will Smith as Scipio; he could use the work and he's proven his hand to hand combat skills.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 09:41:38 AMDo you feel that taking north African historical figures and race swapping them is culture appropriation or at least culturally incentive?

A corralary question to that, would you feel that it's wrong to race swap a black historical character for another race in colorblind casting? Would your answer change if it was a  common occurrence?

I think that if the movie is good enough to get you to suspend disbelief it doesn't matter.  I don't have any objection to Alec Guinness portraying Prince Feisal or Omar Sharif as Dr. Zhivago or Charlton Heston playing a Mexican District Attorney in "Touch of Evil".  Peter Lorre as Mr. Moto, though, I find problematic; I can't believe he's Japanese and, to me, this highlights the poor portrayal of Asian characters in Hollywood movies and the white-washing of positive Asian characters.

In this case I might be cautious about having a North African/Middle Easterner portray Hannibal.  Hannibal comes from a culture which practices infanticide and is filled with greedy merchants.  He's driven by a fanatical hatred for a European civilization.  In the end the Euros kick his butt and burn his city; that might be a little too on the nose in light of recent world events.  (Dune has a similar problem; it should be a great opportunity for Arab actors, but since the Fremen are cave dwelling religious fanatics the casting director was wise to go with a more multi-cultural Fremen.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2023, 04:26:40 AMGladiator is a "serious historic movie"?
It is not a comedy...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 08:35:27 AMBut North Africans being black is a common trope, coming in part from the ongoing culture war in America. It's a bit cultural appropriation and a bit Americans being bad at geography and history. So I give it less slack than tamas does. This movie is fictional and not a documentary so isn't as bad as the last cleopatra documentary where making her black was an actual purposeful part of the show. I wouldn't have cared if they made the gladiator character himself black for example, because again it's fictional, but making Hannibal black isn't colourblind casting its following a trope I feel is dumb.
I see things differently, knowing how Hollywood usually works.

See, I talked of Vin Diesel before.  For a time, he wanted to produce a movie about Hannibal and play the lead role.  I don't know his ethnicity, he doesn't know himself, because he never knew his real father.  He only described himself as "mixed ethnicity".

Now, Carthaginians were offshoots of Pheonicians.  I do not know how Hannibal really looked.  Maybe he looked Caanite, close to what a middle eastern person would like today?  So, how are middle eastern people represented in today's Hollywood movies?  Quite often by Latinx actors.

I'm with Shielbh here, my only real complaint is the age.  70 yo instead or 30.  Aren't there capable 30-40 yo Hollywood actors to play the role, no matter the skin color?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: Josquius on November 15, 2023, 02:04:50 PMOn you wouldn't complain if they were white... I do recall a few years a movie named Gods of Egypt attracted a fair bit of controversy for its cast of north European descent people.

That was dumb too. Everyone knows they should have had animal heads :P
Stargate did it right. ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on November 15, 2023, 06:02:18 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 09:41:38 AMDo you feel that taking north African historical figures and race swapping them is culture appropriation or at least culturally incentive?

A corralary question to that, would you feel that it's wrong to race swap a black historical character for another race in colorblind casting? Would your answer change if it was a  common occurrence?

I think that if the movie is good enough to get you to suspend disbelief it doesn't matter.  I don't have any objection to Alec Guinness portraying Prince Feisal or Omar Sharif as Dr. Zhivago or Charlton Heston playing a Mexican District Attorney in "Touch of Evil".  Peter Lorre as Mr. Moto, though, I find problematic; I can't believe he's Japanese and, to me, this highlights the poor portrayal of Asian characters in Hollywood movies and the white-washing of positive Asian characters.

In this case I might be cautious about having a North African/Middle Easterner portray Hannibal.  Hannibal comes from a culture which practices infanticide and is filled with greedy merchants.  He's driven by a fanatical hatred for a European civilization.  In the end the Euros kick his butt and burn his city; that might be a little too on the nose in light of recent world events.  (Dune has a similar problem; it should be a great opportunity for Arab actors, but since the Fremen are cave dwelling religious fanatics the casting director was wise to go with a more multi-cultural Fremen.)

Heston was terrible Gordon.

HVC

Quote from: Savonarola on November 15, 2023, 06:02:18 PM

Given the historicity of the original movie, in this one Hannibal might turn heel, join the gladiator and sing kumbaya as they return to Rome and install a democracy :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2023, 06:56:36 PMHeston was terrible Gordon.

Ralph Richardson was a fantastic Gladstone though.  :P

HVC

Madame Web looks like it might be good. Or it could be another Marvels. Trailer at least looks good.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.