News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Fair - although I feel like Adam Driver is maybe the closest of the younger generation. I feel like he could be a "movie star" in that way. Mabe he just needs to start doing action films, rather than his eccentric drive to play every prominent post-war Italian businessman :lol:

Also the budget difference is crazy - Killers of the Flower Moon on $200 million and Silence had $40-50 million. As you say both for long depressing Scorcese historical dramas - and that's less than ten years apart but world's apart.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2023, 01:09:24 PMFair - although I feel like Adam Driver is maybe the closest of the younger generation. I feel like he could be a "movie star" in that way. Mabe he just needs to start doing action films, rather than his eccentric drive to play every prominent post-war Italian businessman :lol:

In addition to Adam Driver you could almost certainly add Robert Pattinson and maybe even Daniel Radcliffe (though he's short).  But I think all three came to great fame in massive popular movie franchises and they desperately want to prove themselves as "real" actors.  Plus they're almost certainly not hurting for money.

Guys like Denzel Washington, or Liam Neeson made a name for themselves as "serious actors" first, and only later on went to make action movies.

Maybe they haven't reached the phase of losing tons of money and needing to take whatever script comes along aka the Nicholas Cage story.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2023, 01:09:24 PMFair - although I feel like Adam Driver is maybe the closest of the younger generation. I feel like he could be a "movie star" in that way. Mabe he just needs to start doing action films, rather than his eccentric drive to play every prominent post-war Italian businessman :lol:

Also the budget difference is crazy - Killers of the Flower Moon on $200 million and Silence had $40-50 million. As you say both for long depressing Scorcese historical dramas - and that's less than ten years apart but world's apart.

Well, in the case of Flower Moon, COVID played a part in ballooning the budget. It's definitely a "spare no expense" movie though. They built the entire village - with lavish sets that are only used for single scenes... Watching it, it reminded me of Heaven's Gate. Both insanely expensive slow paced historical dramas about greed and violence in America's past. One bankrupted MGM, the other will probably be a rounding error in Apple's P&L.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2023, 01:20:44 PMIn addition to Adam Driver you could almost certainly add Robert Pattinson and maybe even Daniel Radcliffe (though he's short).  But I think all three came to great fame in massive popular movie franchises and they desperately want to prove themselves as "real" actors.  Plus they're almost certainly not hurting for money.

Timothy Chalomet as someone mentioned.  Ryan Gosling.  Oscar Isaac.  I would have added Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who for a while there seemed to appear in every movie made, but disappeared after making that Edward Snowden movie.  Anna de Armas.  Anya Taylor Jones.

Julia Garner I think had a breakout role in Inventing Anna.

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, Margot Robbie.  How could I forget her.

HVC

Surprised Scientologists don't have a second generation of actors ready. They not interested in Hollywood anymore?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 16, 2023, 08:09:14 PMSurprised Scientologists don't have a second generation of actors ready. They not interested in Hollywood anymore?

Their brand has taken a hit recently...to put it mildly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on November 16, 2023, 08:09:14 PMSurprised Scientologists don't have a second generation of actors ready. They not interested in Hollywood anymore?

There were some, but then they saw Battlefield Earth.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2023, 11:35:24 PMTheir brand has taken a hit recently...to put it mildly.

How so?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2023, 12:31:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2023, 11:35:24 PMTheir brand has taken a hit recently...to put it mildly.

How so?

Well their cover-up and enabling of the Danny Masterson sexual abuse was a bit of a black eye recently (though I guess that kind of thing is just normal for American institutions these days...). Obviously the nuttery of Tom Cruise and the embarrassment of the South Park episode still linger. Recently a lot of their former members have been putting their long history of human trafficking and exploitation on blast on youtube and other social media.

And, you know, their leader is an asshole and they do the usual crazy paranoid Scientology stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

I mean, I know that Scientology is an evil cult. I didn't realize it had actually managed to impact their brand - but I'm happy to hear that it has.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2023, 01:02:41 AMWell their cover-up and enabling of the Danny Masterson sexual abuse was a bit of a black eye recently

I mean, was the Danny Masterson thing really a surprise? :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 15, 2023, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2023, 06:56:36 PMHeston was terrible Gordon.

Ralph Richardson was a fantastic Gladstone though.  :P

Well yes. 

But Olivier was also a terrible Mahdi.

No way Richardson could overcome the Heston and Olivier casting blunders

frunk

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, the anime version of Scott Pilgrim comic/movie.  Isn't a copy of either one, but includes the entire cast of the movie doing the voices.  So far enjoying it for its own thing, particularly Scott Pilgrim not being nearly as much an asshole as the movie.

celedhring

Isn't the character in the comic a bit of a dishonest asshole? Felt that got watered down in the film.