Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on June 20, 2023, 03:15:38 PMSo you think it's just cynical media savviness on their part rather than genuine geekiness? :(

That's not what I'm saying, no.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2023, 02:51:23 PMI don't get it.  :huh:  What is the creature, and why is it noteworthy?
-10 on your Geekdom score.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on June 20, 2023, 03:15:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2023, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2023, 02:51:23 PMI don't get it.  :huh:  What is the creature, and why is it noteworthy?

The Ukrainians have been vary good at using pop-culture references to make themselves similar to its supporters in the West.

If a Ukrainian general likes the same TV shows as I do, we probably share the same values, which makes it easier for me to want to support his people. And if he's referencing well known stories of good vs evil (and Star Wars very much is that), then that's another push in the right direction.

So you think it's just cynical media savviness on their part rather than genuine geekiness? :(

Could also be that it's just a keepsake from a kid/grandkid.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2023, 11:15:01 PM
-10 on your Geekdom score.

I thought it was a Pokemon.

Barrister

WRT Zaluzhny, he hadn't been seen in public for a few weeks and Russians were reported he was killed or seriously injured.  That video (complete with Baby Yoda) was his first sighting in awhile.  I don't know if then the BY patch has some connection to refuting the reports he was dead/injured or not.  I can't quite make out the connection, but it seems like there might be one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Prigozhin has an outer outpouring of his heart, explaining how the ministry of defense misled Putin and the country into thinking the Ukrainians and NATO was about to launch a massive attack hence the start of the "SMO" last year.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1672177488535977984

I guess this just reinforces that either he has gone entirely rogue, left alive for unknown reasons, or more likely he is still Putin's loyal vassal, paving the way to switch the blame to the military if they are forced to admit defeat.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2023, 07:19:38 AMPrigozhin has an outer outpouring of his heart, explaining how the ministry of defense misled Putin and the country into thinking the Ukrainians and NATO was about to launch a massive attack hence the start of the "SMO" last year.

I guess this just reinforces that either he has gone entirely rogue, left alive for unknown reasons, or more likely he is still Putin's loyal vassal, paving the way to switch the blame to the military if they are forced to admit defeat.

I wonder how much the CIA is paying him a week? $1M? $10M?

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 23, 2023, 07:48:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2023, 07:19:38 AMPrigozhin has an outer outpouring of his heart, explaining how the ministry of defense misled Putin and the country into thinking the Ukrainians and NATO was about to launch a massive attack hence the start of the "SMO" last year.

Really?

Besides that's chump change for an oligarch like him, I'd hazard he's only interested in power and his prospect/position within Russia.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Higher up courtiers like him can have their own strong opinions, the rest of the vatniks are automata/serfs. I think he serves a vital purpose in the system of allowing harsh criticism, so long as the Tsar is not personally blamed for any fuckups. :hmm:

He's delusional in his own psycho vatnik way as well. His solution to the conflict is similar to Girkin's, draft a few million men and try harder. What they'll be equipped with and how they're to be trained is left comfortably vague. The rest of the internal propaganda consists of sybarites with yachts and Italian villas (Solovyov, etc) implausibly stating on russki state tv their willingness to go to nuclear war with the West. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Yeah, I guess he serves a good purpose in showing "Look you can criticise when you clearly mean the best" and showing the generals there's a replacement ready in the wings if they fuck up too much.

I even read one conspiracy everything he says is scripted and it basically comes down from Putin. He's Putin's ranting mouthpiece as doing that himself would break the image he wants to present.
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2023, 07:59:57 AM

Really?

Besides that's chump change for an oligarch like him, I'd hazard he's only interested in power and his prospect/position within Russia.

Hard USD in an account which Putin can't touch is with a LOT to an oligarch.

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 23, 2023, 09:29:06 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2023, 07:59:57 AM

Really?

Hard USD in an account which Putin can't touch is with a LOT to an oligarch.

Prigozhin never, ever criticizes Putin.  It's all directed at the Russian MOD.

I don't entirely know the game here, but he's not a US agent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

He did have a subtle dig once, although it could've been done just to establish street cred.  He said something like "what if grampa isn't great, what if grampa is an asshole?"  He then tried to walk it back and say that he referred to some other grampas, but just like people knew who you referred to as "asshole with a mustache" in 1950, every knows who you refer to as grampa in 2023.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Priggy just released this statement...

"PMC Wagner Commanders' Council made a decision: the evil brought by the military leadership of the country must be stopped.

They neglect the lives of soldiers. They forgot the word "justice", and we will bring it back.

Those, who destroyed today our guys, who destroyed tens, tens of thousands of lives of Russian soldiers will be punished.

I'm asking: no one resist. Everyone who will try to resist, we will consider them a danger and destroy them immediately, including any checkpoints on our way. And any aviation that we see above our heads.

I'm asking everyone to remain calm, do not succumb to provocations, and remain in their houses. Ideally, those along our way, do not go outside.

After we finished what we started, we will return to the frontline to protect our motherland.

Presidential authority, Government, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Rosgvardia, and other departments will continue operating as before.

We will deal with those who destroy Russian soldiers. And we will return to the frontline.

Justice in the Army will be restored. And after this, justice for the whole of Russia."

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672314259907158028

That's pretty spicy.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.