Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2023, 05:22:34 PMRussia has achieved its objective in Ukraine

Ukraine no longer uses its own weapons, it used western supplied ones.

Therefore, Ukraine is now demilitarized.

Objective: successful. :cool:

Copentanyl...
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Russians getting surprised in their trench, VERY NSFW (although there's no actual gore): https://twitter.com/i/status/1670702054417809408

It is interesting, and strangely re-assuring, that Russians IRL fumble around and die like I do in multiplayer FPSes

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2023, 05:28:23 AMRussians getting surprised in their trench, VERY NSFW (although there's no actual gore): https://twitter.com/i/status/1670702054417809408

It is interesting, and strangely re-assuring, that Russians IRL fumble around and die like I do in multiplayer FPSes

What was that second guy even doing. Seemed to have an open shot on the Ukrainians back but just ran at him to be shot instead. Does look like a FPS.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

A comment mentioned the Russian seems surprised as most were without weapons. He might not had realised the guy was a Ukrainian.

Other people tweeting this mentioned this to be a SOF raid (suppressors on the guns support that I guess).

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Threviel

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2023, 06:32:27 AMA comment mentioned the Russian seems surprised as most were without weapons. He might not had realised the guy was a Ukrainian.

Other people tweeting this mentioned this to be a SOF raid (suppressors on the guns support that I guess).

Apparently the Russians seem to have their weapons in those kind of pyramids one can see in 19th century war movies and they are issued very little ammo, 120 rounds or so. All this due to the higher ups fearing waste. Allegedly, but it rhymes with that film.

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on June 20, 2023, 12:09:17 AMApparently the Russians seem to have their weapons in those kind of pyramids one can see in 19th century war movies and they are issued very little ammo, 120 rounds or so. All this due to the higher ups fearing waste. Allegedly, but it rhymes with that film.

Worried about wasting ammo, or of mutiny, so only giving them the bare minimum? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2023, 12:23:55 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 20, 2023, 12:09:17 AMApparently the Russians seem to have their weapons in those kind of pyramids one can see in 19th century war movies and they are issued very little ammo, 120 rounds or so. All this due to the higher ups fearing waste. Allegedly, but it rhymes with that film.

Worried about wasting ammo, or of mutiny, so only giving them the bare minimum? :unsure:

Wasting ammo and weapons, the higher ups can sell that shit, can't do that if the soldiers waste it. But I would imagine that this is the sort of thing that differs between different units and times.

Barrister

This is General Valerii Zaluzhnyi, Commander in Chief of the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

Below is a screenshot from a recent video released by Ukraine.

Look carefully at his uniform...

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

:lol:

sniper deterrent - don't waste bullets on that guy...

DGuller

I don't get it.  :huh:  What is the creature, and why is it noteworthy?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2023, 02:51:23 PMI don't get it.  :huh:  What is the creature, and why is it noteworthy?

Baby Yoda/Grogu from Star Wars The Mandalorian.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2023, 02:51:23 PMI don't get it.  :huh:  What is the creature, and why is it noteworthy?

The Ukrainians have been vary good at using pop-culture references to make themselves similar to its supporters in the West.

If a Ukrainian general likes the same TV shows as I do, we probably share the same values, which makes it easier for me to want to support his people. And if he's referencing well known stories of good vs evil (and Star Wars very much is that), then that's another push in the right direction.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2023, 03:14:15 PM

The Ukrainians have been vary good at using pop-culture references to make themselves similar to its supporters in the West.

If a Ukrainian general likes the same TV shows as I do, we probably share the same values, which makes it easier for me to want to support his people. And if he's referencing well known stories of good vs evil (and Star Wars very much is that), then that's another push in the right direction.

So you think it's just cynical media savviness on their part rather than genuine geekiness? :(
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on June 20, 2023, 03:15:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2023, 03:14:15 PM

So you think it's just cynical media savviness on their part rather than genuine geekiness? :(

Impossible to know.

But Ukrainians have been really good at playing to western audiences in social media.