News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 23, 2023, 06:36:59 PMStarting this war has got to be like a top 5 all time worst military blunder, right?

And it was obviously so even before they did it.

I still cannot believe Putin did this.

Russia was a dying country and he needed to do lots of triage to fully restore it to health and give it a future. Any progress he may have made since 1999 has been flushed down the drain by this absurd move. Russia desperately needed every one of its young people and instead of encouraging them to stay in Russia and have families and careers he has driven over a million into exile and sent thousands of others to die. And for what? What good does the Crimea and the Donbas do Russia? It boggles the mind.

There just are not any happy endings in Russia ever.

And the situation for Ukraine was, if anything, even worse. Both countries will be in dire straights once this is over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Said before around the random deaths, car bombs etc - from what I've read, Putin's key claim and source of legitimacy was ending the chaos of the 90s.

It feels like that's definitively over now, whatever happens.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

I will obviously wait and see, but I suspect that if anything is really happening right now, it's limited to the Rostov area, Prigozhin is making some sort of play probably to try to make Russian MOD back off and not arrest him. I find claims of a "march of Justice" to Moscow to be highly specious.

For one, the fatal flaw here is while it has held back a lot in Ukraine, Russia has an air force and Wagner does not. Any Wagner force marching on Moscow would be entirely defenseless to air attack, it would be a massacre.

DGuller

I imagine the name of the game is to snowball defections.  No one wants to be an Afghan army after US withdrawal.

Razgovory

It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Any news on what Kadyrov and his fuckheads are up to?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2023, 10:07:16 PMAny news on what Kadyrov and his fuckheads are up to?

Getting drunk and/or torturing some random people/animals/other Russians.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2023, 10:07:16 PMAny news on what Kadyrov and his fuckheads are up to?

The TikTok Brigade is stationed in Taganrog.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Things look a little chaotic right now:

Quote🚨 Special Operations Forces (SSO) commanded by Major General Valery Flustikov have taken over control of the Ministry of Defence headquarters on Frunzenskaya in Moscow. Right now, there's no way of knowing whose side he is really on: Shoigu or Prigozhin. Probably "wait & see."

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1672352313091178496

Grey Fox

Interesting but Sushko regularly makes things up.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 23, 2023, 10:30:55 PMInteresting but Sushko regularly makes things up.

Oh right, good point.

But... like... if someone in the Russian armed forces sees this and believes it can still harm Russian efforts, even if not true. But yeah, fair enough.

It's 0630 in Moscow right now. Wonder what the situation will be by nightfall.

Razgovory

I'm surprised Putin hasn't made an official statement.  I'm seeing stuff about Wagners surrounding the HQ of the Southern Military District.  Nobody seems to know what is going on, and there are all sorts of wild claims going back and forth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Putin making a statement and fucking it up - by looking weak - could mean the end for him in short order. Of course, hiding and looking weak and cowardly could do the same.

What he needs to do is to appear, make a strong statement, hammering home a resolution, and punishing the designated traitors (whoever they may be). But if he can't be decisive and powerful in his appearance... well... it's a bit of a dilemma for him.

DGuller

Putin doesn't strike me as quick on his feet, he seems much more the type to take part in elaborately choreographed performances.  Maybe he's vacillating as to what to do.  Maybe he's not in condition to be on camera right now for health reasons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2023, 10:27:24 PMThings look a little chaotic right now:

Quote🚨 Special Operations Forces (SSO) commanded by Major General Valery Flustikov have taken over control of the Ministry of Defence headquarters on Frunzenskaya in Moscow. Right now, there's no way of knowing whose side he is really on: Shoigu or Prigozhin. Probably "wait & see."

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1672352313091178496

Seems bad if I'm Putin
Quote from: RobLee85Video of Yevgeny Prigozhin meeting with Deputy Defense Minister Yunus-bek Yevkurov at the Southern Military District HQ.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1672463016586014720?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point