News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

During the last protest they argued their First Amendment rights were being violated.  This time they are walking through the streets of the nation's capital chanting USA.

The problem: they are carrying Canadian flags through Ottawa. 

My bet is many in the Conservative party will continue to support them.

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1520595420539506688?s=21&t=W40hG7wN6fLBG7algT4yCQ

Josquius

I watched this and now have a complete understanding of Canadian politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWB7oe0TSyM

Am I: Wonk :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

That guy is painfully Toronto centric. And not just in the way he pronounced around and about.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 09:28:17 AMThat guy is painfully Toronto centric. And not just in the way he pronounced around and about.

But...but...it says Vancouver on the wall behind him!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 09:28:17 AMThat guy is painfully Toronto centric. And not just in the way he pronounced around and about.

:frusty:

JJ McCullough is from Vancouver and still lives there.

He's a bit of an odd duck also.  Jos I definitely wouldn't take him as a definitive voice on Canadian politics.  He's gay but broadly supports the Conservatives.  Somehow he has a weekly column on washingtonpost.com, despite his claim to fame being a cartoonist and youtuber.  He's not really a big fan of all the protections for the French language.

Not going to watch the video at work.  His 35 "tribes" slices things pretty thin - and by the looks of it he slices the right up far more than the left (which makes sense given his own outlook).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

JJ is an idiot. No one should listen to him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

The only people who could possibly think this guy is from Vancouver are people who do not actually live here.  His accent is painfully out of place from here.  As are his politics.  His preoccupation with Quebec politics just isn't a thing here.  He might now live here, but he is certainly not someone from here.  Or if he is actually from here, he worked really really hard to sound like someone from Toronto.

Valmy think someone with a very think New York accent being mistaken as being from California.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 10:58:53 AMThe only people who could possibly think this guy is from Vancouver are people who do not actually live here.  His accent is painfully out of place from here.  As are his politics.  His preoccupation with Quebec politics just isn't a thing here.  He might now live here, but he is certainly not someone from here.  Or if he is actually from here, he worked really really hard to sound like someone from Toronto.

Valmy think someone with a very think New York accent being mistaken as being from California.

So that's your argument.  His accent.  I agree his accent sounds odd to me as well.

But I've watched some of his videos and I know he's referenced living in Vancouver.  He's also mentioned being gay.

I will raise you with this actual link:

https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/J.J._McCullough

QuoteJohn James "J. J." McCullough (born: July 17, 1984 [age 37]),[1] is a Canadian political and social commentary YouTuber who makes videos about various topics relating to Canada, facts about history, the cultures of different countries, and sometimes politics. He lives in Vancouver.

QuoteJ.J. was born in what he calls a "comfortable" middle class family, but says it could've even been "upper middle class." His mother was a high school teacher and his father was a bureaucrat for the Canadian government. They had two children, J.J. and his younger sister. In his childhood he lived in a suburban house in Vancouver with four bedrooms and three bathrooms. He has made several videos discussing the ideology of the middle class which he suggests involves various themes of materialism and anxiety.

Also worth noting as a Youtuber and someone who rights a column for a US newspaper he's going to have a more national/international view, and not be narrowly focused on BC politics.  Plus he's just plain odd, as I said right off the bat.

I just don't understand you.  The fact this guy was born and raised in Vancouver is a pretty minor point.  It would be so easy to say "I stand corrected" and move on.  Yet you have to double down...

crazy canuck

Did a quick search and it seems others have explained that his accent is very much fake and/or contrived.  So, tries really hard to sound like he is not actually from around here.

@ BB my argument goes beyond his accent.  His politics are also no consistent with being from around here.  That same search showed he fancies himself as a Conservative commentator, so that explains that.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 10:58:53 AMThe only people who could possibly think this guy is from Vancouver are people who do not actually live here.  His accent is painfully out of place from here.  As are his politics.  His preoccupation with Quebec politics just isn't a thing here.  He might now live here, but he is certainly not someone from here.  Or if he is actually from here, he worked really really hard to sound like someone from Toronto.

Canada has always been united in its dislike of Quebec's politics.  But I admit, it's mostly a thing of Montreal's Angryphones and Torontoïans with a complex of superiority.  And the occasional redneck from Alberta.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2022, 10:56:56 AMJJ is an idiot. No one should listen to him.

He is certainly anti-French so screw him.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 11:07:40 AMDid a quick search and it seems others have explained that his accent is very much fake and/or contrived.  So, tries really hard to sound like he is not actually from around here.

@ BB my argument goes beyond his accent.  His politics are also no consistent with being from around here.  That same search showed he fancies himself as a Conservative commentator, so that explains that.

So I probably found the same links you did.  The point of his accent is it doesn't sound like anywhere in Canada. I've met lots of people from Ontario that don't sound like that.  Could well be he just tries to sound more "Canadian" to foreign audiences, as he does like to do this kind of 'explain Canada to the world' sort of videos.

And your second paragraph confuses me.  You seem to be saying that 'no one from BC could support the Conservatives", which is kind of demonstrably false.  So what are you trying to say?  Are you conceding he's from BC and is just odd (which is what I said)?  Or are you trying to make some kind of "no true Scotsman" argument about him - that even if he is from BC he's not a "true BC-er"?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 11:26:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 11:07:40 AMDid a quick search and it seems others have explained that his accent is very much fake and/or contrived.  So, tries really hard to sound like he is not actually from around here.

So I probably found the same links you did.  The point of his accent is it doesn't sound like anywhere in Canada. I've met lots of people from Ontario that don't sound like that.  Could well be he just tries to sound more "Canadian" to foreign audiences, as he does like to do this kind of 'explain Canada to the world' sort of videos.

And your second paragraph confuses me.  You seem to be saying that 'no one from BC could support the Conservatives", which is kind of demonstrably false.  So what are you trying to say?  Are you conceding he's from BC and is just odd (which is what I said)?  Or are you trying to make some kind of "no true Scotsman" argument about him - that even if he is from BC he's not a "true BC-er"?

Conceding?  I didn't know who this guy was until this morning.  I was making my observation based on his accent (which we now know is contrived) and his politics, and particularly his anti-Quebec vibe which, as Viper pointed out, is also very much a Torontonian thing.   He is playing a character.  And a character which is definitely not from around here. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 10:37:37 AMHe's a bit of an odd duck also.  Jos I definitely wouldn't take him as a definitive voice on Canadian politics.  He's gay but broadly supports the Conservatives.  Somehow he has a weekly column on washingtonpost.com, despite his claim to fame being a cartoonist and youtuber.  He's not really a big fan of all the protections for the French language.
So a chauvinist monster <_<
Let's bomb Russia!