News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:08:42 PMConceding?  I didn't know who this guy was until this morning.  I was making my observation based on his accent (which we now know is contrived) and his politics, and particularly his anti-Quebec vibe which, as Viper pointed out, is also very much a Torontonian thing.   He is playing a character.  And a character which is definitely not from around here. 

So perhaps you should avoid making such definitive statements like "The only people who could possibly think this guy is from Vancouver are people who do not actually live here." if you have no idea who the guy is.

I do know who he is.  I'm not a big fan but I've read some of his WaPo stuff, seen some of his videos.  And he definitely says and references living in Vancouver.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2022, 12:10:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 10:37:37 AMHe's a bit of an odd duck also.  Jos I definitely wouldn't take him as a definitive voice on Canadian politics.  He's gay but broadly supports the Conservatives.  Somehow he has a weekly column on washingtonpost.com, despite his claim to fame being a cartoonist and youtuber.  He's not really a big fan of all the protections for the French language.
So a chauvinist monster <_<

His bigger sin is being against the monarchy. :mad:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:19:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:08:42 PMConceding?  I didn't know who this guy was until this morning.  I was making my observation based on his accent (which we now know is contrived) and his politics, and particularly his anti-Quebec vibe which, as Viper pointed out, is also very much a Torontonian thing.   He is playing a character.  And a character which is definitely not from around here. 

So perhaps you should avoid making such definitive statements like "The only people who could possibly think this guy is from Vancouver are people who do not actually live here." if you have no idea who the guy is.

I do know who he is.  I'm not a big fan but I've read some of his WaPo stuff, seen some of his videos.  And he definitely says and references living in Vancouver.

Perhaps you should read my whole post, in which I stated that if he was from around here, he was trying very hard to hide that.

If you just want to engage in this sort of sniping, fuck off.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:19:34 PMHis bigger sin is being against the monarchy. :mad:
How can you be Republican and anti-French? :blink: :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 11:07:40 AMDid a quick search and it seems others have explained that his accent is very much fake and/or contrived.  So, tries really hard to sound like he is not actually from around here.

@ BB my argument goes beyond his accent.  His politics are also no consistent with being from around here.  That same search showed he fancies himself as a Conservative commentator, so that explains that.
Montreal is a city pretty much to the left.  The mayor of the city is from the woke far left, far more concerned about the tyranny of non neutral language than collecting the trash.

Yet, I know quite a few far right guys in Montreal.  The only thing consistent with Montreal is, like all large cities, a complex of superiority over remote areas.

I doubt Vancouver is totally different.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:08:42 PMConceding?  I didn't know who this guy was until this morning.  I was making my observation based on his accent (which we now know is contrived) and his politics, and particularly his anti-Quebec vibe which, as Viper pointed out, is also very much a Torontonian thing.  He is playing a character.  And a character which is definitely not from around here. 

Perhaps you should read my whole post, in which I stated that if he was from around here, he was trying very hard to hide that.

If I was a conservative living in Vancouver, I might try to hide that too. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:08:42 PMConceding?  I didn't know who this guy was until this morning.  I was making my observation based on his accent (which we now know is contrived) and his politics, and particularly his anti-Quebec vibe which, as Viper pointed out, is also very much a Torontonian thing.  He is playing a character.  And a character which is definitely not from around here. 

If you just want to engage in this sort of sniping, fuck off.

But he doesn't try to hide it.  I'm only casually familiar with the guy, and I knew he lived in Vancouver.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2022, 12:25:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 11:07:40 AMDid a quick search and it seems others have explained that his accent is very much fake and/or contrived.  So, tries really hard to sound like he is not actually from around here.

@ BB my argument goes beyond his accent.  His politics are also no consistent with being from around here.  That same search showed he fancies himself as a Conservative commentator, so that explains that.
Montreal is a city pretty much to the left.  The mayor of the city is from the woke far left, far more concerned about the tyranny of non neutral language than collecting the trash.

Yet, I know quite a few far right guys in Montreal.  The only thing consistent with Montreal is, like all large cities, a complex of superiority over remote areas.

I doubt Vancouver is totally different.

I am not sure what that has to do with the comments the YouTuber made about how to characterize federal politics of Quebers.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2022, 12:25:08 PM

:lol: She's not THAT left. Montreal's trash collection is not controlled by the Ville centre.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I'm seeing a lot of bad takes on Canadian twitter about the US draft decision.

World, the constitutional status of abortion in Canada is totally different than in the US.  The fact that the USSC apparently is going to strike down Roe v Wade in the US means nothing to Canada.  But instead I'm seeing a whole lot of virtue-signalling.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2022, 12:25:55 PMIf I was a conservative living in Vancouver, I might try to hide that too. :P

It was not always the case - but there has definitely been a shift in Conservative party politics, the demographics of Vancouver and the Federal issues that are important to people around here, such that the Conservatives tend to be in the more rural areas now.  But they get a real run for their money from the NDP there. Even in the Fraser Valley (traditionally farming communities) where the old joke used to be that the Conservatives could run a fence post and win, the contest is becoming closer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 01:12:00 PMI'm seeing a lot of bad takes on Canadian twitter about the US draft decision.

World, the constitutional status of abortion in Canada is totally different than in the US.  The fact that the USSC apparently is going to strike down Roe v Wade in the US means nothing to Canada.  But instead I'm seeing a whole lot of virtue-signalling.

I disagree entirely.  The US experience is a very important reminder to take seriously politicians who state they want to end abortions in Canada.  Conservatives always try to brush that aside as something we should not worry about - its never going to happen.   They bristle at the suggestion there is a hidden agenda.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 01:14:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 01:12:00 PMI'm seeing a lot of bad takes on Canadian twitter about the US draft decision.

I disagree entirely.  The US experience is a very important reminder to take seriously politicians who state they want to end abortions in Canada.  Conservatives always try to brush that aside as something we should not worry about - its never going to happen.   They bristle at the suggestion there is a hidden agenda.

The US right has been quite clear about wanting to overturn RvW, and judicial appointments have been a very important issue.

The situation in Canada is much more confused because of Morgentaler, but it's quite clear that the government could almost certainly pass some kind of abortion law.  The fact that no government has tried to do so, either Liberal or Conservative, in 30 years is pretty telling.

HVC

In that the mechanism to erode reproductive freedom will be the same is false, but to be worried is fair. Canadian conservative take cues from their southern neighbours.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 01:17:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 01:14:48 PM

The US right has been quite clear about wanting to overturn RvW, and judicial appointments have been a very important issue.

The situation in Canada is much more confused because of Morgentaler, but it's quite clear that the government could almost certainly pass some kind of abortion law.  The fact that no government has tried to do so, either Liberal or Conservative, in 30 years is pretty telling.

Yes, and as we have discussed just recently in this thread, there are Conservative politicians who make that goal quite clear as well.  The fact that no government has tried is more a testament to the control Harper had on the social conservatives in caucus.  Pollivre is not in favour of making access to abortion illegal, but if he wins the leadership, it will be by pandering to those who are.  And that is the worrying part.