News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2022, 06:15:59 PMIs Viper trolling?
Half and half.

The market would eventually regulate itself, but it'll take a while for boomers to abandon their homes.

Either we ride it, or we intervene to make the matters worst by stimulating demand even more.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2022, 09:57:08 AM
Half and half.

The market would eventually regulate itself, but it'll take a while for boomers to abandon their homes.

Either we ride it, or we intervene to make the matters worst by stimulating demand even more.

I was thinking more about how you ignored the measures to increase supply.

Grey Fox

He dismisses them in the 1st sentence...
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2022, 10:19:49 AMHe dismisses them in the 1st sentence...

Right, which is why I thought he was probably trolling.  He doesn't like the feds spending money on housing because he views it a provincial jurisdiction but then says a solution is increasing supply - well that is what all the federal housing spending is aimed at accomplishing.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2022, 10:04:14 AM
Half and half.

I don't see any measures to increase supply by this budget.  They are reflecting on thinking of doing something about speculation, but nothing concrete.

Reducing Federal income taxes for lower incomes would certainly help first time buyers.  But instead of that, they finance new programs that should be provincial responsibilities. 

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2022, 12:54:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2022, 10:19:49 AMHe dismisses them in the 1st sentence...

Right, which is why I thought he was probably trolling.  He doesn't like the feds spending money on housing because he views it a provincial jurisdiction but then says a solution is increasing supply - well that is what all the federal housing spending is aimed at accomplishing.
Not all provinces have the same problems.  A solution tailored by province would be ideal.  If the Federal want to give money to the province to do as they fit, so be it.  But right now, it's not doing anything that is remotely helping.

viper37

In a totally unsurprising revelation, just like yours truly predicted, Irving Oil (and presumably other big polluters) managed to avoid most of the carbon tax.
Carbon charges on large N.B. greenhouse gas emitters called 'surprisingly low'

The Irving Oil refinery and a group of other large facilities in New Brunswick that released up to 3.84-million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2019 are being assessed federal carbon charges on less than two per cent of that amount, according to recent figures released by Environment and Climate Change Canada.

So, they paid 2% of the proposed carbon tax.  2%.  That means a 98% discount.  Yet, we are footing 100% of the bill every time we fuel our cars, every time we use oil to heat because there aren't any other reliable options.

Told ya it was ineffective.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2022, 05:14:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2022, 10:04:14 AM
Half and half.

I don't see any measures to increase supply by this budget.  They are reflecting on thinking of doing something about speculation, but nothing concrete.

Reducing Federal income taxes for lower incomes would certainly help first time buyers.  But instead of that, they finance new programs that should be provincial responsibilities. 

Then you have not read about the billions earmarked for building housing.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2022, 10:33:40 PMThen you have not read about the billions earmarked for building housing.

empty promises.  and it's for affordable housing only.  Unless we change the rules of who's eligible for such housing, it won't have much of an effect on the market.

It goes from the Federal level, for which there will be a special unit dedicated to evaluate each projects from each provinces.  You lost 20% right there.  Then the provinces have to evaluate the projects from the cities.  Another 20% lost.  Municipal housing bureaus will lose about 30% of the sums due to various administrative procedures, and they have sunk costs since they can't really pick their clientele, they have to take anyone who fits in the revenue criteria, no matter if they are drug users, no matter if they are vandals, no matter if they are general known troublemakes.  And it's extremely hard to get rid of them after that.

The city I work for is covering for the housing bureau, shared with some of the surrounding municipalities, and the Quebec government exponge a huge part of their deficits.  The yearly deficit is arround 2 million$, year in, year out, for a city of 3500 people.

They can't cover their operating costs, and any money would go there before new investments, to renovate existing housing, often cheaply built in the 70s.

These are money pits.  Even if we manage to increase such housing supply by 5% globally (and that's about the maximum number of units that could realistically be built within 7-8 years, assuming the Libs go through on their promise), it won't affect the people who are the worst of: the bottom middle class who are too "rich" to be there and to poor to afford a decent rent or buy a house and pay the city taxes, which need to increase every year, either from a tax hike or from an increase in property value (mostly for the larger cities though; prices are stable in smaller cities, for now, despite a mini exodus of city dwellers with the pandemic).

crazy canuck

So when you said you didn't see any measures in the budget what you really meant is you didn't see any measures you like. You must admit that's a big difference.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2022, 08:13:12 AMSo when you said you didn't see any measures in the budget what you really meant is you didn't see any measures you like. You must admit that's a big difference.

I did not see any effective measures.  Is that clearer?

The goal to build 400 000 houses per year is totally empty.  Not enough workers, not enough materials to sustain such a growth.  That is what we call realism, in economy, where you know, the real world reside.

See, I told you the carbon tax would amount to nothing but a tax.  And I still fail to understand how promoting oil development anywhere but Quebec and the West is going to help us achieve our targets on ghg reductions.  But maybe you can explain me that part of the Liberal governance? :)

Then we'll go back to housing, and you can demonstrate to me how the Liberal policies are going to solve the problems we face.

viper37

Jacques Delisle.  I've talked about him before.  He was a judge.  He was accused of killing his disabled wife, found guilty, serve 9 years in jail before he was ordered a new trial by the Liberal minister of justice.

There's way too many holes in his story to make it believable that his disabled wife killed herself and he simply gave her the gun.  That was the 2nd or 3rd story he told the police.  The first one was that he came home and found her dead, gun close to the hand.  Powder marks were found in her hand.  The problem is, she was half paralyzed and could not have held a gun from this hand, according to experts.  Different ballistic experts came to different conclusions.  He was in possession of a an unregistered gun and lied to the police about his extra-marital affair.  Of note, he refused to testify at his own trial.  And then he came up with the theory that he simply gave her the gun, instead of "she just committed suicide while I was away".

In the end, he likely got away with it.  He had enough money & influence to lobby for a new trial... and he knew the evidence in his case had been mishandled and destroyed.  Since a new trial could not be fairly held, the judge in this case could order him to go back in jail, but that would deny his right to an appeal/new trial.  So he was acquitted.  Still does not feel like justice.  Too many contradictions in his testimony, too many unexplainable evidences, like the gunpowder stain in the hand of the victim, as if she took the barrel of the gun in her hand.

Google translation of the article

Original story

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2022, 12:06:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2022, 08:13:12 AMSo when you said you didn't see any measures in the budget what you really meant is you didn't see any measures you like. You must admit that's a big difference.

The goal to build 400 000 houses per year is totally empty.  Not enough workers, not enough materials to sustain such a growth.  That is what we call realism, in economy, where you know, the real world reside.

See, I told you the carbon tax would amount to nothing but a tax.  And I still fail to understand how promoting oil development anywhere but Quebec and the West is going to help us achieve our targets on ghg reductions.  But maybe you can explain me that part of the Liberal governance? :)

Then we'll go back to housing, and you can demonstrate to me how the Liberal policies are going to solve the problems we face.

That is clearer, your first assertion would leave a person to understand nothing is being done.  There are those who disagree with your view and that is where a valuable debate can occur.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2022, 01:05:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2022, 12:06:30 PM

That is clearer, your first assertion would leave a person to understand nothing is being done.  There are those who disagree with your view and that is where a valuable debate can occur.
Dissension is anti-Canadian. ;)