News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

But at least we could have a substantive discussion  :)

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Speaking of empty of content...

Jean Charest has announced he will repeal the carbon tax.
Good move.

However... this is the Premier that railed against the former Conservative Party for not doing enough on the environmental front.  He is the Premier who imposed us a Green Fund, which translated as a 0,03$/L tax on fuel and other petroleum products, a fund that was almost never used for environmentally sound project, mainly financing companies (those who could afford the resources required to prepare demands) for various and dubious project, like studying a new wing designs for Bombardier's jet, or transferring money to cities, without any oversight on what the project gave us).

It's a good idea to abolish the green tax, because as I had predicted, it's a simple tax to transfer our money to big corporations, whom big polluters are already mostly exempted of this tax, and it has zero effect on the environment. 

However, for some leftist idiot who imposed such tax and always defend his time as Premier to come and talk about repelling the Federal Carbon tax, that's just too much for me.

As it is now, if one of these two clowns clings the leadership, I ain't voting for this party.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

It looks like he's going with all carrot and no stick. If this approach was enacted 20 years ago, it would have been a good approach.  But we don't have time for this sort of indirect approach.  Granted he is much better than the bulk of the climate change deniers in the party.  But that is also the reason he probably won't win the leadership contest.

Jacob

So I read a human interest piece on Pierre Poillievre in MacLeans a little while ago, and I thought "hmmm, maybe he's not so bad after all."

Then I see this:
QuoteConservative leadership contender Pierre Poilievre promised Thursday he'd spike the Bank of Canada's proposal to offer a digital currency, saying this sort of financial instrument should be left to the private sector.

Poilievre has emerged as a fierce critic of Canada's central bank. He's tried to link decades-high inflation to its COVID-era policy of quantitative easing and recently slammed the institution as "financially illiterate."

Poilievre said that a government led by him would extend the auditor general's authority to include the Bank of Canada and push for a review of its pandemic policies.

Poilievre is a big proponent of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin. He has suggested that Canadians can "opt out" of inflation by pouring money into these investments, and he doesn't want the Bank of Canada to offer a competing product.

Bitcoin has had a volatile run in recent months as central banks have increased interest rates to tackle pandemic-driven inflation, making speculative investments less attractive. The price of bitcoin has dropped some 40 per cent since its November 2021 high.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-bank-of-canada-audit-1.6433860

What a fucking disaster.

crazy canuck

He has actually been that bad all along - its just that people are paying more attention to him.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2022, 05:16:40 PMHe has actually been that bad all along - its just that people are paying more attention to him.

Yeah, I knew he was terrible the moment he came on to my radar but this softball piece did a good job of warming me up to him a bit... but that's dispelled immediately with this.

crazy canuck

In BC an all party committee on policing unanimously recommended not renewing the RCMP contract and moving back to a Provincial police force

The Brain

I hear that the Moon is no longer safe?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2022, 08:48:52 AMIn BC an all party committee on policing unanimously recommended not renewing the RCMP contract and moving back to a Provincial police force

Interesting. What were the main factors in that recommendation?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2022, 09:45:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2022, 08:48:52 AMIn BC an all party committee on policing unanimously recommended not renewing the RCMP contract and moving back to a Provincial police force

Interesting. What were the main factors in that recommendation?

All the things we talked about the last time we discussed why the RCMP deal is not good

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.