Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2022, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2022, 11:19:07 AMIgnore that he called out "the left", and realize he's talking about Justin Trudeau.

That's missing Josq's point - that plenty of folks on the right (and in the centre) who are primarily concerned with image.

There is a video making the rounds on Twitter where Pollivre starts his stump speech by saying "Any woke people here?"  Crowd yells enthusiastically versions of "Hell no" and it goes downhill from there.

Populist right wing politics in Canada is all about name calling and targeting the mainly white old males at a non existent enemy.   

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 25, 2022, 06:51:16 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 25, 2022, 06:05:23 AMThe guy on the left in particular looks like he's just thrown on the jacket for some random reason.

That's the US SecDef, and he needs a new tailor.

Suit probably fit him before he took this job - he needs to get back to a routine in the gym.  From someone who has been there.   :D

Sheilbh

Defence Secretary update in parliament today - from Sky reporter tweeting the statement. Two things stood out to me - the assessment of the damage to Russian forces which from my maths looks like 15% of Russian forces have been rendered ineffective. In addition 15,000 deaths is around the level of a decade in Afghanistan.

Also the final point on containment is striking and I think probably important because, and I could be wrong, the least likely scenarios from here seem to be a palace coup or uprising that removes Putin (but they always are until they were always inevitable):
QuoteDeborah Haynes
@haynesdeborah
BREAKING: The UK assess that "approximately 15,000 Russian personnel have been killed" fighting in Ukraine so far, Defence Secretary @BWallaceMP tells MPs
Russia has  lost lots of equipment, destroyed or captured. @BWallaceMP says a number of sources suggest this includes:
- Over 2,000 armoured vehicles, including at least 530 tanks, 530 armoured personnel carriers & 560 infantry fighting vehicles
- 60 helicopters and fighter jets
The UK Defence Secretary says Russia committed over 120 Battalion Tactical Groups to its war in Ukraine - about 65% of its entire ground combat strength.
Two months later, the UK assesses more than 25% of that force has been "rendered not combat effective".

"Ukraine - Mr Speaker - is an inspiration to us all," @BWallaceMP says. "Their brave people have never stopped fighting for their lands. They have endured indiscriminate bombardments, war crimes and overwhelming military aggression."
The Defence Secretary continues:  "But they [Ukraine's people] have stood firm, galvanised the international community and beaten back the Army of Russia in the north and the north east."
He then talks about next phase of war in the east & the need to keep giving Ukraine weapons
Weapons UK has given to Ukraine to fight Russia so far:
- More than 5,000 anti-tank missiles
- 5 air defence systems with 100+ missiles
- 1,360 anti-structural munitions
- 4.5 tonnes of plastic explosives
- Starstreak high/low velocity anti-air missiles (in Ukraine for 3+ weeks)
Also, the UK PM @BorisJohnson has announced a further £100mln worth of "high grade military equipment", 120 armoured vehicles, sourcing anti-ship missiles & "high-tech loitering munitions for precision strikes", UK Defence Secretary @BWallaceMP says
NEW: UK will give Ukraine a "small number" of Stormer vehicles fitted with launchers for anti-air missiles, the Defence Secretary tells MPs in a statement on Ukraine
The UK Defence Secretary calls the next three weeks of Russia's war in Ukraine "critical" and says the Ukrainian military needs more long range artillery and ammunition as well as anti-ship missiles.
@BWallaceMP says that the UK is going to seek to help if possible.
In the last week alone, the UK has given to Ukraine for its war against Russia:
- 1,000 anti-tank weapons
- 14 Wolfhound armoured vehicles
- 4,000 night vision goggles
This is interesting: UK's @BWallaceMP says NATO allies need a long term plan on how Europe will "contain Putin after all this has past... How are we going to live with that neighbour in Europe should he still remain? That is an important consideration for all of us"

Edit: Also interesting example of the way Ukraine has bought credibility in it's information about this war becuse those numbers are a little lower but in line with their figures. Throughout they've been pretty honest for a country at war and I think that has earned a lot of credibility and trust internationally when they announce/brief something.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I know it's an obscure NBA joke, but that the UK Defence Secretary is named "Ben Wallace" it's sort of awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 25, 2022, 12:43:27 PMI know it's an obscure NBA joke, but that the UK Defence Secretary is named "Ben Wallace" it's sort of awesome.

4 time Defensive Player of the Year, that's a good resume for the position.  :P

Josquius

https://www.ft.com/content/1e811d5d-3972-4bde-abc5-acac7dd4832b

Transnistria state security building bombed.

:ph34r:

The question is, is this false flag at Russias command or coming from the Transnistrians.

Guess as well as Russia that's an interesting place I've missed my chance at visiting on. Even more so....
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Interesting - US (and UK) have apparently offered bilateral security guarantees to Sweden during their NATO application. Not read anything similar for Finland but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something like that (and it's been reported in the Swedish press not the American or British, so it may just be the Finns don't have the story yet).

Probably not quite how Putin wanted things to go.

Edit: Also interesting question and response on Western troops in Ukraine in the future :hmm: (with the link now)
https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/status/1518653096225816576?s=20&t=tapYxFM1t_Q-9NOub4Gldw
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I say we don't send in ground troops until Russia agrees to stop blowing up their own factories.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

If you want some bleak and depressing imaginery, here's a tweet with pictures of women from the Donbass receiving a 10k rubles handout (around 125$) for their husband's death as "Heroes of Novorossiya".

https://twitter.com/SobolLubov/status/1518674177238212609

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on April 25, 2022, 03:30:37 PMIf you want some bleak and depressing imaginery, here's a tweet with pictures of women from the Donbass receiving a 10k rubles handout (around 125$) for their husband's death as "Heroes of Novorossiya".

https://twitter.com/SobolLubov/status/1518674177238212609

That's at least 20 pounds of potatoes.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

SPD has asked Schroeder to hand over his membership after refusing to leave the boards of Russian companies he's part of.

OttoVonBismarck

The New York Times had a big profile on Schroeder the other day, he does not come off well at all.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2022, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2022, 11:19:07 AMIgnore that he called out "the left", and realize he's talking about Justin Trudeau.

That's missing Josq's point - that plenty of folks on the right (and in the centre) who are primarily concerned with image.
I don't think Pierre Poilièvre is concerned about his image.  In fact, it's a criticism he received from Dimitri Soudas and other commenters, very recently.

He is spouting nonsense, but it's not a question of pushing nonsensical stuff wrapped in a nice package to appeal to basic instincts of voters, like the most recent budget aimed at tackling a problem that is already solving itself in some provinces.  Or legalizing a dangerous substance and creating a host of problems.  Or promising a dental program for everyone without saying what it is, whom it'll applies to, how much it'll cost, how you will finance it and marking it as an achievement even if your ministers say it's gonna take at least 5 years to implement.

This is image and no substance.  It's all we've got from Trudeau since before he was elected.

I understand why people vote for him, unfortunately, politics isn't about ideas. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on April 25, 2022, 08:33:29 PMSPD has asked Schroeder to hand over his membership after refusing to leave the boards of Russian companies he's part of.

He was still a member? Jesus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

AFP reporting that Germany will authorize tank transfers to Ukraine. I suppose it's gonna be Leo 1's - how useful are those in this day and age?

We have 100 Leo2 in storage that we are never going to use. We should send them over (although they're probably not very well maintained).