Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2022, 09:18:54 PMI believe the women who give their husbands permission to rape Ukrainian women are going to be fine with conscription.  Come back with your shield or on it sort of thing.

There was a "revolt of the mothers" during Russia's occupation of Afghanistan that caused some embarrassment.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2022, 09:40:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2022, 09:18:54 PMI believe the women who give their husbands permission to rape Ukrainian women are going to be fine with conscription.  Come back with your shield or on it sort of thing.

There was a "revolt of the mothers" during Russia's occupation of Afghanistan that caused some embarrassment.
Different times.  Russia had not been humbled back then.  Now,  it's been humbled, dismantled by breakaway republics, stripped of many of its riches, reduced to a simple country down from an empire and one man came to save them all.

It'll take some time before we get to a revolt of the mothers, and Putin won't be as lenient as the old Soviet Politburo.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

18 US 155 mm howitzers arriving in Eastern Europe.  Ukrainians being trained at undisclosed location.  Training takes a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfychZ5p2g

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2022, 09:18:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2022, 03:00:12 PMI think the question is more about the reaction of the general population to a sudden draft of young men.
I believe the women who give their husbands permission to rape Ukrainian women are going to be fine with conscription.  Come back with your shield or on it sort of thing.

Those guys are already in the military. Not necessarily a gauge for the general population.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2022, 09:19:57 PMYou know it is rough to see this. I suppose it has been this way since Ivan the Terrible but the Russian people are really easy to like and you empathize with their struggles and you admire their intelligence and achievements but then their leaders are just so much worse than most other countries. So when this kind of misfortune occurs (granted almost always partially if not fully inflicted by their own leaders) it definitely leaves you with mixed feelings.
:yeahright:

I think the "poor Russian people, always fooled and oppressed by their leaders" sentiment deserves to be left in February, when it was still remotely plausible to the uninitiated.  The reason Russian leaders are the way they are is because that's the way Russian people are at all levels of society when they're in position of power over others.  I'm pretty sure Putin wasn't the one raping and executing Ukrainians in Bucha, it's hard to rape from 20 meters away for one.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2022, 09:40:39 PM

Yeah, but that happened under Gorbachev, who by Soviet standards was not into repression.  Would the mothers revolt under Stalin?

The Brain

I've never encountered
Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2022, 01:03:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2022, 09:19:57 PMYou know it is rough to see this. I suppose it has been this way since Ivan the Terrible but the Russian people are really easy to like and you empathize with their struggles and you admire their intelligence and achievements but then their leaders are just so much worse than most other countries. So when this kind of misfortune occurs (granted almost always partially if not fully inflicted by their own leaders) it definitely leaves you with mixed feelings.
:yeahright:

I think the "poor Russian people, always fooled and oppressed by their leaders" sentiment deserves to be left in February, when it was still remotely plausible to the uninitiated.  The reason Russian leaders are the way they are is because that's the way Russian people are at all levels of society when they're in position of power over others.  I'm pretty sure Putin wasn't the one raping and executing Ukrainians in Bucha, it's hard to rape from 20 meters away for one.

It's a weird sentiment. I can't remember encountering it IRL. Is it an American thing? Lingering effect of WW2 US internal propaganda painting the Russians in a positive light?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

My grandfather, who spent 5 years in a coal mine in Ukraine as a POW, used to say that there are no friendlier people than the Russians (not in an ironic way). They would share their last slice of bread with him.

celedhring

The Russians have just announced that they have taken Mariupol, except the bits that they haven't taken.

There's some theater with Putin ordering the troops stop assaulting Azovstal "to preserve the lives of the soldiers" and blockade it instead

Solmyr

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2022, 07:50:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2022, 06:14:27 PMWhat list is that supposed to be? Ukrainian demands maybe? Germany has so far not promised any heavy weapons. The official argument is that the Bundeswehr needs all its equipment itself.
I understood that Germany will offer money and allow exports of newly made weapons, including heavy weapons.

The story said:

1) German arms industry said they could offer X Y Z
2) German government said to Ukraine, pick what you want from that list
3) German government revised list, removing most or all of the heavy weapons Ukraine desires most

... could be social media distortion, though
Ok, haven't read anything like that, so I cannot really comment on it.

Gups

Quote from: Zanza on April 21, 2022, 05:32:35 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2022, 07:50:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2022, 06:14:27 PMWhat list is that supposed to be? Ukrainian demands maybe? Germany has so far not promised any heavy weapons. The official argument is that the Bundeswehr needs all its equipment itself.
I understood that Germany will offer money and allow exports of newly made weapons, including heavy weapons.

The story said:

1) German arms industry said they could offer X Y Z
2) German government said to Ukraine, pick what you want from that list
3) German government revised list, removing most or all of the heavy weapons Ukraine desires most

... could be social media distortion, though
Ok, haven't read anything like that, so I cannot really comment on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/21/german-report-casts-doubt-on-scale-of-its-weapons-support-for-ukraine

Based on a report in Bild.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2022, 03:00:06 AMThe Russians have just announced that they have taken Mariupol, except the bits that they haven't taken.

There's some theater with Putin ordering the troops stop assaulting Azovstal "to preserve the lives of the soldiers" and blockade it instead
https://twitter.com/i/status/1517046534113792001

Shorter tables, but Putin does not look great (left side not shown), not letting the table away. Shoigu not in uniform.

DGuller

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2022, 07:23:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2022, 03:00:06 AMThe Russians have just announced that they have taken Mariupol, except the bits that they haven't taken.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1517046534113792001

Shorter tables, but Putin does not look great (left side not shown), not letting the table away. Shoigu not in uniform.

I wonder if the reason for Shoigu's disappearance is that he was in isolation for the required amount of time in order to be allowed to the short table.  :hmm:

The Larch

So, today's turn to visit Kiev is for Spain and Denmark's PMs. It's funny how it has become already a must for western leaders to drop by and chat with Zelenski in the middle of the war.

Pedro Sánchez took the opportunity to announce a massive delivery of military equipment, largest one so far fromr Spain, including several vehicles (until now Spain had only supplied light weapons and munitions). It was also announced that a team of Spanish forensic experts will join the investigation of potential war crimes that is being lead by the prosecutors from the International Criminal Court.