News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Le Monde launching their content in English - which is great news and a really interesting idea:
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/about-us/article/2022/04/07/welcome-to-le-monde-in-english_5979903_115.html

Although I am mildly fascinated by what Le Monde has deemed "too French" :lol:
QuoteLe Monde in English will not publish original content. It will present the translated versions of a large selection of articles proposed by Le Monde, as well as some agency wires, in order to stay up-to-date with the news. All of Le Monde's popular sections and themes will feature in the project, with the exception of a few specific subjects that are too "French." The publication of the English version of articles will naturally be delayed until the original French version has been translated and edited.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

The last sentence raises a smile.
Naturally English comes second!

Makes logical sense of course as it's a French publication but just the way it's said...
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Josquius triggered by a micro-agression from left-leaning le Monde (l'Immonde ?).

:frog:  :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2022, 08:30:02 AMLe Monde launching their content in English - which is great news and a really interesting idea:
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/about-us/article/2022/04/07/welcome-to-le-monde-in-english_5979903_115.html

Although I am mildly fascinated by what Le Monde has deemed "too French" :lol:
QuoteLe Monde in English will not publish original content. It will present the translated versions of a large selection of articles proposed by Le Monde, as well as some agency wires, in order to stay up-to-date with the news. All of Le Monde's popular sections and themes will feature in the project, with the exception of a few specific subjects that are too "French." The publication of the English version of articles will naturally be delayed until the original French version has been translated and edited.

Right now on their front page there's a link to an article about the start of French tax season. I don't feel like that's useful to translate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 07, 2022, 08:53:17 AMJosquius triggered by a micro-agression from left-leaning le Monde (l'Immonde ?).

:frog:  :lol:

Nah, I'm not triggered. I know how the French are. Insulting is just the way.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on April 07, 2022, 09:42:08 AMNah, I'm not triggered. I know how the French are. Insulting is just the way.

Taking it as insulting is kind of the definition of triggered.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2022, 09:45:36 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 07, 2022, 09:42:08 AMNah, I'm not triggered. I know how the French are. Insulting is just the way.

Taking it as insulting is kind of the definition of triggered.

Nah. It's like if I ask to bum a fag - it triggers a "he wants to... Wut? Ain't he straight?" reaction in you but you also know enough to know "British. They're weird like that. Wants a cigarette".

Similarly too I still recognise the French language to be really blunt and insulting in its word choices.... But I also know that's just the way the language works and it doesn't necessarily carry the same weight it does in English.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on April 07, 2022, 09:49:54 AMNah. It's like if I ask to bum a fag - it triggers a "he wants to... Wut? Ain't he straight?" reaction in you but you also know enough to know "British. They're weird like that. Wants a cigarette".

Similarly too I still recognise the French language to be really blunt and insulting in its word choices.... But I also know that's just the way the language works and it doesn't necessarily carry the same weight it does in English.

Sure, you can say "it's insulting but I understand it's their nature," but that doesn't change the fact that no one else appears to find that statement insulting.

Duque de Bragança

Josquius' French language skills at work.  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2022, 09:54:01 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 07, 2022, 09:49:54 AMNah. It's like if I ask to bum a fag - it triggers a "he wants to... Wut? Ain't he straight?" reaction in you but you also know enough to know "British. They're weird like that. Wants a cigarette".

Sure, you can say "it's insulting but I understand it's their nature," but that doesn't change the fact that no one else appears to find that statement insulting.

Funny how you're so triggered by Josq  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2022, 10:31:32 AMFunny how you're so triggered by Josq  :lol:

:lol:

I love Squeeze.  I love him because I disagree with everything he says but he never gets butthurt when challenged, unlike a number of posters here.

He's a lot like Shelf in that regard, but with flakier ideas.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2022, 10:35:01 AM:lol:

I love Squeeze.  I love him because I disagree with everything he says but he never gets butthurt when challenged, unlike a number of posters here.

FWIW I also like that you're wrong about everything but never offeneded :hug: :P

QuoteSure, you can say "it's insulting but I understand it's their nature," but that doesn't change the fact that no one else appears to find that statement insulting.
Although the "it's in their nature" thing can be true - especially if you're coming from the UK where we talk in riddles with complicated politeness rules (what is it about islands off major continents? :hmm:). I don't think the French are rude but the Dutch certainly are because they really pride being direct and honest (both horrifying to us).

I remember doing a training session when I was working for a big global company on communication across cultural barriers and the number of continental Europeans who thought the Brits were being basically deceitful in emails by not saying what they mean, while we found some of their phrasing rude because it said exactly what they meant :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2022, 10:35:01 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2022, 10:31:32 AMFunny how you're so triggered by Josq  :lol:

:lol:

:hug:

Duque de Bragança

Syt will be happy to know that Herr Oberinspektor Derrick gets at last a DVD release with the original German track in France!  :P
No French subtitles, so really hardcore

Early '70s episodes were the livelier ones, with some action scenes (stop laughing).

https://youtu.be/UiGCNTDgg3Y
Horst Tappert vs Klaus Löwitsch (seen in Cross of Iron or a German early version of Matrix by Fassbender).