News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 31, 2022, 08:06:02 AMMaybe the connections once he got to Poland would not take him that far?  :hmm:
Yeah it must be - it looks like Bialystok (which is a little less far) would take over a day. It may also just be a connections/timing issue of actually you could get further if they were closer but you've got a spare hour in Berlin etc.

Quote from: The Larch on March 31, 2022, 08:06:02 AMFollowing his route I think you could make it to somewhere in N. Italy.  ;)
:lol: Yeah definitely lovely trip to the lakes. And I totally agree on Milano Centrale - a sublime station (as long as you ignore who built it :ph34r:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

When I was 17 I made it from Sevilla to Copenhagen in one day, by just taking a train in the general direction and jumping on the nearest most likely train at each station.

Good thing it worked out too, as it was the last day of my InterRail pass and I was basically broke.

Tamas

Warhammer 40K lore: I remember, it was probably decades ago, but I read an interpretation of the Horus Heresy  which strongly implied that originally Horus and his men rebelled against the tyranny of the emperor and having to flee to the chaos realms after being defeated what corrupted them, i.e. it sounded like a story of the tragic fall of the good guys. I found that pretty cool at the time, but I have been noticing that everyone -at least the fans- goes with the very basic reading of the story as "Horus becomes corrupted and evil and then goes against the Emperor" which is super lame. What gives?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2022, 09:58:32 AMWhen I was 17 I made it from Sevilla to Copenhagen in one day, by just taking a train in the general direction and jumping on the nearest most likely train at each station.

Good thing it worked out too, as it was the last day of my InterRail pass and I was basically broke.

Quite a feat if true since back then Paris-Bragança (well Puebla de Sanabria/Póvoa de Seabra) took 20 hours with 4 to 6 hours lost in waiting for a connection in Spain to be fair.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2022, 05:32:57 AMWarhammer 40K lore: I remember, it was probably decades ago, but I read an interpretation of the Horus Heresy  which strongly implied that originally Horus and his men rebelled against the tyranny of the emperor and having to flee to the chaos realms after being defeated what corrupted them, i.e. it sounded like a story of the tragic fall of the good guys. I found that pretty cool at the time, but I have been noticing that everyone -at least the fans- goes with the very basic reading of the story as "Horus becomes corrupted and evil and then goes against the Emperor" which is super lame. What gives?

That's the Canon version.
There's a lot of other stuff to it.
Various internal struggles and fights against becoming corrupt, one of the chaos marine chapters being empire spies originally maybe, etc....
There may be something in the Canon on the emperor being a dick and pushing horus towards dark stuff which corrupted him?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2022, 05:32:57 AMWarhammer 40K lore: I remember, it was probably decades ago, but I read an interpretation of the Horus Heresy  which strongly implied that originally Horus and his men rebelled against the tyranny of the emperor and having to flee to the chaos realms after being defeated what corrupted them, i.e. it sounded like a story of the tragic fall of the good guys. I found that pretty cool at the time, but I have been noticing that everyone -at least the fans- goes with the very basic reading of the story as "Horus becomes corrupted and evil and then goes against the Emperor" which is super lame. What gives?

I didn't really get into 40k until 2004, but even that late there was a definitive subtlety to the worldbuilding. I really liked this. The trend at GW, especially the last 10-15 years, is to dumb things down to its most basic interpretations and establish them as lore. A few years back Rick Priestly said something similar in Wargames Illustrated about how 40k lore is developing in a very un-subtle way (he created 40k but hasn't worked at GW in many years). My impression is that the people at GW these days don't even understand some of the subtlety they cheerfully butcher.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

GW is all about flanderization and has been for the last many years.

Josquius

Its funny as originally it wasn't particularly subtle either. It was purposefully silly and over the top, played clearly for laughs. Now its purposefully over the top but thinks its being serious and totally straight.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

If anyone's seeking a new look for themselves:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I've said it before and I'll say it again - at least the 70s had ambition.

Also obsessed with: "lustrous fabric of 91% acetate, 9% nylon" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Josquius

I find it depressing I'm so high yet still so shit.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It really needs to take wealth into account as well as income. My household's income has declined in recent years but we continue to be better-off each year.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on April 04, 2022, 12:31:24 AMI find it depressing I'm so high yet still so shit.

It helps a bit if you check your net not gross income. :)

Syt

I find such comparisons difficult, because gross income is one thing, but deductions between countries can vary greatly. Also, it's useful to know if the chart counts the incomes of everyone (since it looks at inequalities) or just employed persons. E.g. while I rank very high on the overall income chart for Austria, if you start filtering for education, age, gender etc., I end up quite average or below average among "peers."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.