Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: PJL on March 19, 2022, 12:29:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2022, 12:07:14 PMThere are some rather brave people within the Russian space agency, as the three cosmonaut who've just arrived on the ISS were wearing bright yellow and blue overalls/uniforms. :hmm:

I was concerned by that as well. Plus also, it could jepordise any Russian-US co-operation still ongoing with the ISS.

How necessary is it to rely on Russia here?
I understood this would have been a huge problem a decade ago but now the US has that capacity again...
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2022, 07:30:41 AMWow, and that last interview - the determination to withstand.
Yeah that lady speaking when you can hear the artillery going off is extraordinary.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2022, 07:33:10 AMApparently the Russians have used a hypersonic missile.

What continent did it land on?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2022, 01:51:17 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2022, 07:33:10 AMApparently the Russians have used a hypersonic missile.

What continent did it land on?
Seems to have landed where they wanted it to land, unfortunately.  :(

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: PJL on March 19, 2022, 12:29:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2022, 12:07:14 PMThere are some rather brave people within the Russian space agency, as the three cosmonaut who've just arrived on the ISS were wearing bright yellow and blue overalls/uniforms. :hmm:

I was concerned by that as well. Plus also, it could jepordise any Russian-US co-operation still ongoing with the ISS.

On the other hand, low Earth orbit is probably one of the safest places for Russians to protest from.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josephus

Seems like Russia is going with the German "Battle of Britain" plan. Try to bomb the enemy into submission. I don't think they seem to have an actual occupation goal anymore. Just hope they can force Ukraine to surrender with bombs.

Didn't work so well for the Germans. So we'll see.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I wonder if the cosmonauts are planning on jumping on the next US rocket and defecting.

Also thinking there had to be a number of people in on it to make the suits and stow them on the rocket.

Sheilbh

Interesting - reports from the head of Ukrainian Railways (who are heroes in this: https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/03/18/trains-run-through-the-dark-to-keep-ukraine-going - and the map of which stations are open is incredible) that Belarussian railway workers are sabotaging lines to Ukraine. Which is probably not great given Russia's forces existing logistical issues :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

My mind very often wanders into nooks and crannies.

So the Javelin has a reusable launcher.  I'm guessing it's not cheap.  But how do you get soldiers to lug it back for reuse when they're running for they're lives?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2022, 03:10:32 PMSeems like Russia is going with the German "Battle of Britain" plan. Try to bomb the enemy into submission. I don't think they seem to have an actual occupation goal anymore. Just hope they can force Ukraine to surrender with bombs.

Didn't work so well for the Germans. So we'll see.

Indeed, seems the russians have forgotten the lessons of ww2 regarding bombing of starving the enemy into submission.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2022, 03:40:39 PMInteresting - reports from the head of Ukrainian Railways (who are heroes in this: https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/03/18/trains-run-through-the-dark-to-keep-ukraine-going - and the map of which stations are open is incredible) that Belarussian railway workers are sabotaging lines to Ukraine. Which is probably not great given Russia's forces existing logistical issues :lol:

Shelf, not a serious criticism, but I find the use of the :lol: smilie somewhat jarring given it's a war.  :-(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2022, 03:11:57 PMI wonder if the cosmonauts are planning on jumping on the next US rocket and defecting.

Also thinking there had to be a number of people in on it to make the suits and stow them on the rocket.

According to the bbc news website they reported from an IIS news conference:
QuoteThe politics of Ukraine's war have made it to space.

Three Russian cosmonauts arrived at the International Space Station wearing blue and yellow space suits - the colours of the Ukrainian flag.

But soon after, Russia's space agency denied it had anything to do with Ukraine, saying "sometimes yellow is just yellow", and explaining that blue and yellow were the colours of the university where the three men studied.

In a live-streamed news conference from the space station, one of the cosmonauts explained that they had accumulated lot of yellow material, so they chose to use it for their space suits.

:hmm:

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2022, 09:47:29 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 19, 2022, 07:05:38 AMThe most recent dead general being responsible for a massacre in 2014 when he agreed a cease fire to allow Ukranian troops to leave and then murdered them
That's a different guy.  That guy was a colonel, not a general.  Ukraine already whacked nine of those.
Careful, your Jersey is showing :P

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2022, 04:00:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2022, 03:11:57 PMI wonder if the cosmonauts are planning on jumping on the next US rocket and defecting.

According to the bbc news website they reported from an IIS news conference:
QuoteThe politics of Ukraine's war have made it to space.

Three Russian cosmonauts arrived at the International Space Station wearing blue and yellow space suits - the colours of the Ukrainian flag.

But soon after, Russia's space agency denied it had anything to do with Ukraine, saying "sometimes yellow is just yellow", and explaining that blue and yellow were the colours of the university where the three men studied.

In a live-streamed news conference from the space station, one of the cosmonauts explained that they had accumulated lot of yellow material, so they chose to use it for their space suits.

:hmm:
They would have had to start making those a long time before the war to get them into the system in time to launch.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on March 19, 2022, 04:02:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2022, 09:47:29 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 19, 2022, 07:05:38 AMThe most recent dead general being responsible for a massacre in 2014 when he agreed a cease fire to allow Ukranian troops to leave and then murdered them
That's a different guy.  That guy was a colonel, not a general.  Ukraine already whacked nine of those.
Careful, your Jersey is showing :P

Heh Zoupa, remember that time you, Neil, Ank, Shelf, Berry and I met up on London's Southbank and in a different world, you know the one before Trump, Brexit, Covid19 and Putin's madness.