Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Another excellent report by that BBC reporter from Kharkiv - the last minute or so particularly:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-60786964
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2022, 01:58:22 AMSpeaking of dead Russian generals, it turns out that the figure of four killed generals is no longer accurate.  The correct number is now five.  The newest addition is the highest ranking of them all.

What is going on here?  It doesn't seem accidental, it seems like Ukrainians have pretty good intel on where the generals are, and do their best to make sure that the drones or sniper bullets also find their way there.  As badly as things are going for Russian troops, they're probably not going so badly that they bring about such a fatality rate on the front lines.

An article the other day referred to the Russians using unsecured phones which the Ukrainians intercept, triangulate, locate and attack.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2022, 07:22:11 AMAnother excellent report by that BBC reporter from Kharkiv - the last minute or so particularly:

Wow, and that last interview - the determination to withstand.

Josephus

Apparently the Russians have used a hypersonic missile.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2022, 07:33:10 AMApparently the Russians have used a hypersonic missile.

Another sign of Russian weakness.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Although Orban did not care to go to the symbolic visit to Kyiv with his Polish and Czech colleagues, he did visit Serbia today to negotiate with the PM there and do a joint call for peace.

Disgusting.

But, having been complaining about the very mixed attitude about the war in Hungary, it should be pointed out that there is unprecedented work ongoing to care for the refugees arriving to the country. It, is in fact, almost entirely being done by volunteers - the state seem to be rather indifferent and inept (this ain't the kind of thing they like to spend their money on) but there has been a great reply from charities, NGOs and regular citizens, police officers sent to manage the refugees at train stations etc.

Sheilbh

Separately there's a few world leaders who still fairly regularly chat with Putin. In general I think that's probably a good idea, though I'm less sure on that than I was a few weeks ago. Similarly I can normally see why they are speaking to Putin - Macron, Scholz, Erdogan and Bennett make sense to me. Charles Michel doesn't but I just read that as part of his ongoing weird, self-aggrandising stuff v VDL.

The one leader who doesn't make sense and who seems to have the most regular communications with Putin is Xavier Bettel of Luxembourg :hmm:

Juncker said that his last phone call with a foreign leader as President of the Commission was with Putin, Luxembourg has in the past always been extremely doveish on sanctions for Russia. Obviously it's a tax haven with some secrecy but we know that something like at least one third to one half of the richest men in Russia have Luxembourg entities. I wonder if it might be worth some of Luxembourg's European partners just have a quick chat with Bettel to work out what he's talking with Putin about so regularly. Because it just seems to be a little odd and a little less clear on his motives than Macron, Scholz, Bennet, Erdogan or Michel :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2022, 08:30:49 AM.....
Juncker said that his last phone call with a foreign leader as President of the Commission was with Putin, Luxembourg has in the past always been extremely doveish on sanctions for Russia. Obviously it's a tax haven with some secrecy but we know that something like at least one third to one half of the richest men in Russia have Luxembourg entities. I wonder if it might be worth some of Luxembourg's European partners just have a quick chat with Bettel to work out what he's talking with Putin about so regularly. Because it just seems to be a little odd and a little less clear on his motives than Macron, Scholz, Bennet, Erdogan or Michel :hmm:

And perhaps as importantly, they're a member of NATO so privy to the alliances inner workings and ongoing discussions.

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on March 19, 2022, 07:05:38 AMThe most recent dead general being responsible for a massacre in 2014 when he agreed a cease fire to allow Ukranian troops to leave and then murdered them
That's a different guy.  That guy was a colonel, not a general.  Ukraine already whacked nine of those.

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2022, 07:22:11 AMAnother excellent report by that BBC reporter from Kharkiv - the last minute or so particularly:

The BBC has had outstanding stuff.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

There are some rather brave people within the Russian space agency, as the three cosmonaut who've just arrived on the ISS were wearing bright yellow and blue overalls/uniforms. :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2022, 12:14:59 PMGreat stuff.

Did you see the photos/film?

How are some people not going to be sent to the gulag/disappeared over this?

Admiral Yi

PJL

Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2022, 12:07:14 PMThere are some rather brave people within the Russian space agency, as the three cosmonaut who've just arrived on the ISS were wearing bright yellow and blue overalls/uniforms. :hmm:

I was concerned by that as well. Plus also, it could jepordise any Russian-US co-operation still ongoing with the ISS.