Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Thanks everyone; I appreciate your thoughts.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

And my own deepest sympathies to those who have said they have had recently or are expecting losses soon in the last few posts.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

I only lost my job to COVID, not someone I loved.  I am truly sorry, Ag.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2022, 08:27:42 AMI only lost my job to COVID, not someone I loved.
It's really hard to lose something you do not have.
;)

Sorry about your job CdM.  Did you bounce back?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

That sucks Agelastus.  My your mother rest in peace.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2022, 11:09:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2022, 08:27:42 AMI only lost my job to COVID, not someone I loved.
It's really hard to lose something you do not have.
;)

That's really not fair, you know.
I've had lots of jobs. Ass.

QuoteSorry about your job CdM.  Did you bounce back?

Meh.

The healthcare system I worked for was financially decimated as a result of the suspension of elective surgeries and other outpatient services from Coronapalooza '20; in July 2020, we were getting furloughed for 2 week blocks, and through August and November, they eliminated or outsourced virtually everyone not directly involved in patient care.  IT, telecoms, security, patient scheduling, scribes, billing, etc.  They eliminated my job in November 2020, since it was 1) new, 2) high paying and 3) the boss didn't understand what it was because it didn't involve badges, tasers and beating up patients. 

Fortunately, I managed to slide into a federal contractor gig back at the old agency last February; one of the program managers got a permanent gig, and they wanted a replacement that knew the agency, and it's in the same office I was in before.  So I landed on a nice pillow.

I waited for a few opportunities to pop for me in Seattle and with the feds at Grand Coulee, but since nothing happened, I came back east last May. Currently crashing with the parental units as I rent out my condo--which is fine, since my contract ends in September and I'm going to need to figure out something by then in case I don't secure another. 

Not that I miss the job.  The director that hired me for the role to develop an enterprise model got checkmated by the suits at corporate in 2019, and left. They brought in a retired FBI guy. Ugh.

When the coronavirus was beginning to emerge in January of 2020, I began making inquiries with our leadership and emergency management people about pandemic protocols.  What do we have on the books?  If this makes landfall, what are our options?  No answers.  I mean, I was only experienced in hospital security for the H1N1 and H7N9 threats in 2009, so what the fuck did I know, right? I only worked in biosafety immunology and virology EM issues for West Nile, Zika and Ebola with the Feds at HHS, right?  Oh, those panicky Easterners.

I hammered them at the end of January and the beginning of February about pandemic protocols and security posture. Nothing. Oh, he's just being a Chicken Little over the whole Kung Flu thing.

I come in to work on a Monday in early February, and the boss had left me a pair of biosafety gloves on my desk.  The boss.  As a fucking joke. Ha ha.

Then we're notified, since we were FEMA Region 10's official intake facility, our Special Pathogens Unit got the first patients in off the Diamond Princess from San Francisco. But Security doesn't have a fucking pandemic emergency operations protocol?

We didn't lock that place down until the end of March. And by the time they let me go, we had hundreds of thousands of dead fellow Americans in the ground.  But ha ha, right.

January, they're ignoring my emails.  February, they're leaving gloves on my desk as a joke. By April, we had bought a refrigerated meat trailer for the potential body count.

And people ask me why I keep a portrait of Robert Shaw's Quint in my office. 

So, for the 2nd time in less that ten years, my job gets eliminated by a former FBI agent that did not hire me,  to save money for the company. To be honest, that act is really, really getting old. I'm sure Obi-Yi Kenobi had an impromptu orgasm the moment it happened, sensing a great disturbance in the market, as if millions of dollars suddenly cried out in shareholder value and were suddenly increased. 

Can't even go back to bail bonds, what with all the useless bullshit about "bail reform," taking food out of the mouths of hard-working, innocent bail bondsmen. I mean, what the fuck, people.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2022, 04:04:31 PM
QuoteSorry about your job CdM.  Did you bounce back?

Meh.

Well, shit. :(

I was sad when you left, but understood (I just got back from a 2 month sabbatical myself).  We had heard through the grapevine though that you found that job in Spokane and was happy for you.  Sorry to hear you're back where you started

I hope you'll stick around, understand if you don't.

Over the last year or so I've been using Twitter more and more, and it's given me perspective on Languish.  On Twitter you can hear from absolute experts in their fields, unlike the usual chuckleheads on Languish.  But on the other hand, if you think Languish is bad for the number of bad-faith arguments, it's nothing like social media.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2022, 04:14:42 PMWell, shit. :(

I was sad when you left, but understood (I just got back from a 2 month sabbatical myself).  We had heard through the grapevine though that you found that job in Spokane and was happy for you.  Sorry to hear you're back where you started

I hope you'll stick around, understand if you don't.

Over the last year or so I've been using Twitter more and more, and it's given me perspective on Languish.  On Twitter you can hear from absolute experts in their fields, unlike the usual chuckleheads on Languish.  But on the other hand, if you think Languish is bad for the number of bad-faith arguments, it's nothing like social media.

:hmm:

We've the best experts on political maps, obsure military history and substandard niche sci-fi/high fantasy novels.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2022, 04:04:31 PMThe healthcare system I worked for was financially decimated as a result of the suspension of elective surgeries and other outpatient services from Coronapalooza '20; in July 2020, we were getting furloughed for 2 week blocks, and through August and November, they eliminated or outsourced virtually everyone not directly involved in patient care.  IT, telecoms, security, patient scheduling, scribes, billing, etc.  They eliminated my job in November 2020, since it was 1) new, 2) high paying and 3) the boss didn't understand what it was because it didn't involve badges, tasers and beating up patients. 

Fortunately, I managed to slide into a federal contractor gig back at the old agency last February; one of the program managers got a permanent gig, and they wanted a replacement that knew the agency, and it's in the same office I was in before.  So I landed on a nice pillow.

I waited for a few opportunities to pop for me in Seattle and with the feds at Grand Coulee, but since nothing happened, I came back east last May. Currently crashing with the parental units as I rent out my condo--which is fine, since my contract ends in September and I'm going to need to figure out something by then in case I don't secure another. 

Not that I miss the job.  The director that hired me for the role to develop an enterprise model got checkmated by the suits at corporate in 2019, and left. They brought in a retired FBI guy. Ugh.

When the coronavirus was beginning to emerge in January of 2020, I began making inquiries with our leadership and emergency management people about pandemic protocols.  What do we have on the books?  If this makes landfall, what are our options?  No answers.  I mean, I was only experienced in hospital security for the H1N1 and H7N9 threats in 2009, so what the fuck did I know, right? I only worked in biosafety immunology and virology EM issues for West Nile, Zika and Ebola with the Feds at HHS, right?  Oh, those panicky Easterners.

I hammered them at the end of January and the beginning of February about pandemic protocols and security posture. Nothing. Oh, he's just being a Chicken Little over the whole Kung Flu thing.

I come in to work on a Monday in early February, and the boss had left me a pair of biosafety gloves on my desk.  The boss.  As a fucking joke. Ha ha.

Then we're notified, since we were FEMA Region 10's official intake facility, our Special Pathogens Unit got the first patients in off the Diamond Princess from San Francisco. But Security doesn't have a fucking pandemic emergency operations protocol?

We didn't lock that place down until the end of March. And by the time they let me go, we had hundreds of thousands of dead fellow Americans in the ground.  But ha ha, right.

January, they're ignoring my emails.  February, they're leaving gloves on my desk as a joke. By April, we had bought a refrigerated meat trailer for the potential body count.

And people ask me why I keep a portrait of Robert Shaw's Quint in my office. 

So, for the 2nd time in less that ten years, my job gets eliminated by a former FBI agent that did not hire me,  to save money for the company. To be honest, that act is really, really getting old. I'm sure Obi-Yi Kenobi had an impromptu orgasm the moment it happened, sensing a great disturbance in the market, as if millions of dollars suddenly cried out in shareholder value and were suddenly increased. 

Can't even go back to bail bonds, what with all the useless bullshit about "bail reform," taking food out of the mouths of hard-working, innocent bail bondsmen. I mean, what the fuck, people.

That sucks, sorry.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Not that big of a deal. Benefit of working in a hospital during the pandemic is watching how shitty it is to die that way.  I got off light.

Not that those people cared out there;  they'd wear their guns to Safeway but not a mask.  More worried about antifa than antibodies.

Only real pisser was I couldn't bring home the Colt M4 5.56mm carbine I purchased as a going away present, since it's illegal in Maryland.  Why should just the right wing nutters get to buy all the guns for the big American Civil Shitfest of 2029?  Someone's got to protect my nieces when they need to get fitted for their Handmaid's robes.

Syt

With almost all restrictions dropped (outside Vienna), and the vaccination mandate suspended, only ~1000 people at the weekly anti-Covid measures protest, despite beautiful weather. With Covid measures losing tehir relevance for most people, the organizers are moving more towards a "stop war mongering," "real democracy now" (wahtever that means), and "full neutrality" message. Some are carrying Russian flags, one guy was playing the Russian anthem through a megaphone. Saw a snippet from one of the speakers who said something about digitalization, QR codes and 5G enslaving mankind and killing the trees. Bunch of posters protesting against "The Great Reset" and "The Great Replacement."

Recent polls show FPÖ at 19%, and MFG (a new anti-vaxx, anti-Covid measures party with otherwise no unified platform) at 8%. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, Seedy, should change your nick to CassadraDeMoney they way people ignore your warnings.  <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2022, 09:26:58 AMBunch of posters protesting against "The Great Reset" and "The Great Replacement."

:lol: Always comes back to the Jews.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2022, 09:27:46 AMAlso, Seedy, should change your nick to CassadraDeMoney they way people ignore your warnings.  <_<

I dunno, it's not like you people ever listened to me either.  Par for the course.

Josquius

I hope they pay you well for your part as a talking head in the how we fucked up corona doc.
██████
██████
██████