Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on March 15, 2022, 05:19:01 AMSo... Just when everyone thought it was over it looks like another bad wave could be on the way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-omicron-deltacron-ba2-measles-b2035093.html
can't see the rest.  What does it say about vaccine protection from this one?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Is the unfolding disaster in Hong Kong being covered my by your media, average daily deaths are more than 200 dead and only 1/4 of the over 80s have been vaccinated.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2022, 06:37:46 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 15, 2022, 05:19:01 AMSo... Just when everyone thought it was over it looks like another bad wave could be on the way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-omicron-deltacron-ba2-measles-b2035093.html
can't see the rest.  What does it say about vaccine protection from this one?

Didnt spot any numbers but seems to be the evasivness of delta with the actual risk of omicron.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Austria reports a record 60k new cases since yesterday (per capita that's the equivalent of over 500k in Germany). According to World in Data, Austria is comfortably in the top 10 of hospitalizations per capita. Good thing we abolished most restrictions (outside of Vienna) two weeks ago, paused the vaccine mandate and plan to let free testing run out at the end of the month (or at the very least severely restrict it).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah I haven't bothered checking UK statistics but anecdotally it is clearly spreading again in the UK. I am resigned to the fact that my (first, second, third?) fight with the virus is imminent.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2022, 05:12:59 AMYeah I haven't bothered checking UK statistics but anecdotally it is clearly spreading again in the UK. I am resigned to the fact that my (first, second, third?) fight with the virus is imminent.
It is - especially in Scotland. But I think this is what it's going to be like now - it'll just circulate and people will get it time and again, but we'll be fairly well protected with annual boosters and better treatments. At least until the vaccines improve to become longer-lasting or to really stop infection/spread as well.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2022, 05:12:59 AMYeah I haven't bothered checking UK statistics but anecdotally it is clearly spreading again in the UK. I am resigned to the fact that my (first, second, third?) fight with the virus is imminent.

It's been running through our company recently with multiple people having it, but all got it from outside the office. Some had it very mild, some fever for a few days, one colleague has been down with very high fever for a couple days now (he had two shots but no booster yet).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Vaccine pass suspended since March 14th, masks only compulsory in mass transit/public transportation as there is a new rebound.

Trying to get a fourth shot for my dad since he qualifies according to the updated guidelines.

Liep

Was about to get my booster later in the month but am now tested positive. Is there a point in booking the booster now?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

The advice here for that situation is no. They ask to wait 3 months after infection.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

The Austria experts commission (scientists, doctors, virologists, pharmacologists,, statisticians, medical law experts, head of the workers' chamber, head of the chamber of commerce, plus two or three representatives of state and county administrations) instituted in January to advise the government on Covid policy is getting together for its weekly meeting.

Mood in the commission is low. An anonymous member has said unless things change this might be their last session. Others say they feel their work is for nothing. They understand that they are only to give recommendations, and that the government is free to take or leave them, or to modify them. But in recent months the government has a pattern of either completely ignoring the advice or doing the exact opposite while also claiming to follow the commission's recommendations, which is really rankling people at this point.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oh, and the government might raise the restrictions again today, because of the high numbers (3600 cases/week/100k, currently 10-20 deaths/day) that are starting to fill up the hospitals again (mostly unvaccinated patients).

And that only two weeks after ending most restrictions. :lol: On the plus side, it probably means little change in Vienna which kept most restrictions it had in place.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

As a reminder to Brits they're stopping free tests by the end of the month. So.... Best order some.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2022, 09:55:20 AM(mostly unvaccinated patients).
just stop wasting your time with them.  natural selection & all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Listened to an NPR piece on HK/China and covid.

HK has the highest death rate in the world right now.

It's a variant of omicron that's more contagious, but not more severe.

This variant accounts for 30% of new cases in NY, Jersey, and New England.

Something about places (in China, HK?) running out of coffins.