Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

So they care so much about their dying daughter that they are not willing to risk being vaccinated to see her. What scum.

Berkut

So he is fighting for his right to put not just his own daughter at risk, but everyone else in that facility and their daughters and sons?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

As an American I am a little relieved that the US is no longer lapping the field in the covid dumbathon.

Admiral Yi

No, it should be a dumbatholon because there are many events. :nerd:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2022, 06:42:29 PM
No, it should be a dumbatholon because there are many events. :nerd:

Normally it's a point of pride when we are competitive with the American juggernaut :(

Syt

Are death rates still part of the discussion in the US?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

All the discussion I'm seeing is new vaccines coming, when kids can get them, and legality of mandates.  Virtually nothing about infection, hospitalization, and death.

DGuller

The perception lately seems to me that Covid has gone away.  I just checked statistics, and while that isn't quite true, it does seem true that the Omicron wave has come and just about gone. 

The fact that the level of deaths is still at an all-time high has been eye-opening to me, however.  I know that the death wave always comes and goes long after the case wave, but the level of deaths right now seem incompatible with the notion that Omicron isn't that bad.  Seems plenty bad enough still on aggregate.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2022, 09:45:23 AM
The perception lately seems to me that Covid has gone away.  I just checked statistics, and while that isn't quite true, it does seem true that the Omicron wave has come and just about gone. 

The fact that the level of deaths is still at an all-time high has been eye-opening to me, however.  I know that the death wave always comes and goes long after the case wave, but the level of deaths right now seem incompatible with the notion that Omicron isn't that bad.  Seems plenty bad enough still on aggregate.

I think Omicron has given society(ies) enough respite to ignore the excess deaths due to exhaustion. I just don't see how countries could re-establish lockdowns at this stage even if a new more severe variant emerged. In that sense the pandemic is over, even if in terms of lots of people suffering and dying it may have not.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2022, 09:50:36 AMI think Omicron has given society(ies) enough respite to ignore the excess deaths due to exhaustion. I just don't see how countries could re-establish lockdowns at this stage even if a new more severe variant emerged. In that sense the pandemic is over, even if in terms of lots of people suffering and dying it may have not.
Yeah the UK doesn't have excess deaths at the minute - we're within average deaths at this time of year.

The number of deaths in this wave is, as with delta, significantly lower than previous waves. It's the same for mots European countries that are starting to re-open.

The big difference with the US is the lower rate of people who've been vaccinated - especially among the most at-risk groups. I think the gap between US v Western European vaccination rates has probably cost thousands of people their lives.

I think someone did an analysis of this and the US has a significantly higher estimated IFR than Western European countries because of the difference vaccines make. Omicron is milder but it is far, far milder if you've got a widely vaccinated (and boosted) population. If the UK had the same vaccination rate as the US, I think the analysis was, that omicron would have been as bad as the first wave.

It's more frustrating and anger-making because it's by choice.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

And relatedly Ireland is getting rid of all restrictions on 28 February and, on the advice of the CMO, dissolving the National Public Health Emergency Team which has been Ireland's covid-specific SAGE.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2022, 09:45:23 AM

Omiron can be as deadly as Delta for unvaccinated people.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Hey remember that pandemic thing? :P

There was another car protest in Vienna against Covid measures. Furthermore, for tomorrow there's once again protests scheduled. At the same time, there will be protests in support of Ukraine's fight against the Russian aggressors. Which will be interesting, because the two camps will be diametrically opposed on several things, including Putin.
—Stephen Jay Gould