News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2022, 10:34:14 PMWho the fuck are you, Sophie?  I know you're someone, but I can't figure out who.

It isn't polite to call out former names.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2022, 10:05:56 PMI didn't know we could change our names.

Bosh.
Years of make do after random whimsy when the new board was setup...begone.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2022, 10:34:14 PMWho the fuck are you, Sophie?  I know you're someone, but I can't figure out who.

I think it's Judas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

No one of consequence.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

You could say he's a traitor to the American cause.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

My detective skills say Sophie=Benedict Arnold.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2022, 05:11:06 PMPls - can someone explain why anime has such a big hold on Chilean politicians :lol: :huh:
https://twitter.com/poirotes/status/1502382237903425548?s=20&t=H0I4wM2aHopfkUIIxhcEHg

You're just old Marie-Ségolène.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2022, 05:11:06 PMPls - can someone explain why anime has such a big hold on Chilean politicians :lol: :huh:
https://twitter.com/poirotes/status/1502382237903425548?s=20&t=H0I4wM2aHopfkUIIxhcEHg

They had the constitutional convention attended be pikachu too. I know the country has a huge Japanese pop but still curious.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on March 12, 2022, 07:35:32 AMThey had the constitutional convention attended be pikachu too. I know the country has a huge Japanese pop but still curious.
Plus Pamela Jiles doing a Naruto run after she got her proposed pensions reform passed:

I'm not opposed, just curious :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

My sister-in-law has been to Chile a lot, I just asked her and she says anime in Chile is a relatively new thing, and it has been adopted by younger generations as sort of a symbol of political/social renewal. You'd go to protests and there would be people cosplaying, etc...

Agelastus

Quote from: Josquius on March 12, 2022, 05:01:00 AMMy detective skills say Sophie=Benedict Arnold.

Yep, mine too.

[It's probably a bit of a pain for those who want to change their name that quoted posts in another poster's reply don't change the name of the poster and link back to the quoted post.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2022, 08:48:39 AMMy sister-in-law has been to Chile a lot, I just asked her and she says anime in Chile is a relatively new thing, and it has been adopted by younger generations as sort of a symbol of political/social renewal. You'd go to protests and there would be people cosplaying, etc...
Interesting - that makes sense.

I've definitely seen some of the cosplay people on protests - up there with Chile's abundance of riot dogs as pretty distinctive/cool :lol:

Edit: Although maybe interesting because isn't it seen as almost the opposite in Japan - it's often dystopian and a bit of a trope of youths watching anime and not engaging (or having kids)? But it's just been totally repurposed in Chile.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Well, Mono is/was the biggest anime fan in Languish  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2022, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2022, 08:48:39 AMMy sister-in-law has been to Chile a lot, I just asked her and she says anime in Chile is a relatively new thing, and it has been adopted by younger generations as sort of a symbol of political/social renewal. You'd go to protests and there would be people cosplaying, etc...
Interesting - that makes sense.

I've definitely seen some of the cosplay people on protests - up there with Chile's abundance of riot dogs as pretty distinctive/cool :lol:

Edit: Although maybe interesting because isn't it seen as almost the opposite in Japan - it's often dystopian and a bit of a trope of youths watching anime and not engaging (or having kids)? But it's just been totally repurposed in Chile.

The Japan comparison is curious in that it being present in Chilean politics shows how youthful it is... As opposed to gerontocratic rapidly aging Japan.

Though weird it'd be mainstream for the youth  in Chile where this is the stuff of losers in Japan.

Also odd it's new there considering the big Japanese population - Chile is the Latin American country that had the Japanese pm iirc.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I think you mean Peru with the Fujimoris. There's also a big Japanese population in Brazil - not sure about Chile.
Let's bomb Russia!