News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2022, 05:09:21 AMThere are a number of possible solutions, the best one IMO being to optimize *all* people's time savings, and that is the system I believe is currently being employed.

It has the advantage of not being based on tribalist thinking.
The solution currently being employed depends on the country.
And from what I have seen the north American way is one of the worst. Giving priority to pedestrians is best practice.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

How does one control cars in regards to unpredictable pedestrian actions? What's the law in the UK? Do pedestrians walk Willy nilly  across major roads?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

The best system will vary according to the traffic mix. In an extensive American suburb with few pedestrians it probably makes sense to allow motorists to travel at a decent speed, they need to to get where they are going. In a tightly packed European city it makes sense to put motorists far lower in priority and give pedestrians more precedence.

Richard Hakluyt

Pedestrians are not allowed on motorways and busy A roads often have barriers and crossings.

There have been recent changes to the Highway Code which have further prioritised pedestrians :

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

The principal restraint on pedestrians here is that they should not be bloody fools and get themselves killed  :D

HVC

Sorry, don't mean highways and the like. More like main city roads rather then side streets. Everyone jaywalks on side streets anyway lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 09, 2022, 05:23:52 AMThe principal restraint on pedestrians here is that they should not be bloody fools and get themselves killed  :D
Yeah - we all get taught how to cross the road. But the main control is not wanting to get hit by a car :lol:

I find jay-walking laws absolutely baffling.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 09, 2022, 05:18:54 AMThe best system will vary according to the traffic mix. In an extensive American suburb with few pedestrians it probably makes sense to allow motorists to travel at a decent speed, they need to to get where they are going. In a tightly packed European city it makes sense to put motorists far lower in priority and give pedestrians more precedence.

Then you get onto American style urban design itself being problematic :contract:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2022, 05:09:21 AMThere are a number of possible solutions, the best one IMO being to optimize *all* people's time savings, and that is the system I believe is currently being employed.

It has the advantage of not being based on tribalist thinking.

Is it the best? After all it isn't the system employed in the UK and doesn't feel like permitted jaywalking is a significant source of traffic.

Also we know that jaywalking isn't evenly enforced even where the law in the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2022, 06:29:02 AMIs it the best? After all it isn't the system employed in the UK and doesn't feel like permitted jaywalking is a significant source of traffic.

Also we know that jaywalking isn't evenly enforced even where the law in the US.
Yeah - I could be wrong but I'd interpret more as giving police a relatively discretionary and easy way to pull people up, which is never a great thing.

Plus in a US context I imagine part of it is driven by insurance/liability/being sued.

I'm not sure it's actually about keeping traffic flowing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

You guys reminded me when friends from Germany were in England and they came to meet me. Going to meet them, spotted them at a crosswalk, being the only people who bothered to stop and wait for the green light, as opposed to looking around and walking/running through any gap between the cars, as per English norm. They stood out.  :D

Duque de Bragança

After a while, Germans eventually adapt and start crossing like the locals.  :P