News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Also have a go with Quordle https://www.quordle.com/#/ its a lot of fun.

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 11, 2022, 01:26:22 PMAh, so it's Jotto under a new name.

We know it as Lingo, it was a massively popular TV game show in the 90s and still running. Kind of weird the see it suddenly become a hype.

The octordle is fun though https://www.octordle.com

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2022, 01:31:07 PMWorldle is the one I've been using.

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

I've played that too, but since it gives you the shape of the country it doesn't seem as fun.

Couple days ago the country was Nauru (which is probably where I got the idea of guessing Nauru on Globle).  It was an indistinct island shape, which made it a good country to guess at.

But yesterday the country was Israel.  Instantly recognizable.

And today... (spoilers incoming)

So it's some islands again.  At least three of them, together with some smaller islands.  So obviously in the Pacific.  Tonga?

LOL no.  16,000 KM away to the NE.  Not the Pacific then.

Turks and Caicos?  6000km away, still to the NE.  Getting closer - I guess.

Malta (I know this isn't it) - 2000km away, not to the NW.

Isle of Man 500km, to the south.  Okay Now I'm getting it - it's one of those weird British islands that are technically independent but not really.

Jersey.  Got it.

But come on - MFing Jersey?

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2022, 01:44:56 PMBeeb...the seven possibilities, for your 5th turn you should have tried something like CHAMP, no need to repeat the last 4 letters as you know them already for your final guess.

I try to play smart like that - as you can see from my third word even though I knew some of the letters I was just trying to cut down on the possibilities.

But when I hit 4/5 on the 4th (match) I thought "Oh I've got this", followed up with hatch, then realized I was screwed with only one guess left.

Sheilbh

Sorry - what? :blink:
QuoteSee new Tweets
Conversation
Saurabh Joshi
@SaurabhJoshi
Unbelievable! India's defence ministry confirms 'accidental firing' of a missile into Pakistan.

Full statement below
PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU (DEFENCE WING)
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
'हर काम देश केनाम'

New Delhi, Phalguna 20, 1943
Friday, March 11, 2022

Statement on accidental firing of missile
On 9 March 2022, in the course of a routine maintenance, a technical malfunction led to the accidental firing of a missile.
The Government of India has taken a serious view and ordered a high-level Court of Enquiry.
It is learnt that the missile landed in an area of Pakistan.
While the incident is deeply regrettable, it is also a matter of relief that there has been no loss of life due to the accident. *End*

Could we please not be accidentally firing missiles right now. Separately that's my bet for WW3 - it's an accident caused by a disastrous IT upgrade :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2022, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2022, 01:31:07 PMWorldle is the one I've been using.

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

I've played that too, but since it gives you the shape of the country it doesn't seem as fun.

Couple days ago the country was Nauru (which is probably where I got the idea of guessing Nauru on Globle).  It was an indistinct island shape, which made it a good country to guess at.

But yesterday the country was Israel.  Instantly recognizable.

And today... (spoilers incoming)

So it's some islands again.  At least three of them, together with some smaller islands.  So obviously in the Pacific.  Tonga?

LOL no.  16,000 KM away to the NE.  Not the Pacific then.

Turks and Caicos?  6000km away, still to the NE.  Getting closer - I guess.

Malta (I know this isn't it) - 2000km away, not to the NW.

Isle of Man 500km, to the south.  Okay Now I'm getting it - it's one of those weird British islands that are technically independent but not really.

Jersey.  Got it.

But come on - MFing Jersey?

Yes. It veers from easy to very hard. Africa always gets me.
Today I got Guernsey only on the last guess, didn't realise it did such places.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2022, 03:24:25 PMYes. It veers from easy to very hard. Africa always gets me.

Also - is it cheating to look at a map?  It kind of feels like it is.  But like you I don't have a 100% grasp of African countries (or Pacific islands).  I can probably name them all, but I don't know which country is next to which all the time.

Sheilbh

Pls - can someone explain why anime has such a big hold on Chilean politicians :lol: :huh:
https://twitter.com/poirotes/status/1502382237903425548?s=20&t=H0I4wM2aHopfkUIIxhcEHg
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2022, 04:06:25 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2022, 03:24:25 PMYes. It veers from easy to very hard. Africa always gets me.

Also - is it cheating to look at a map?  It kind of feels like it is.  But like you I don't have a 100% grasp of African countries (or Pacific islands).  I can probably name them all, but I don't know which country is next to which all the time.

Definitely cheating.
Though I usually do it sitting at my desk where there's a map so... I do it anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2022, 01:16:59 PMSo I've been doing Wordle along with Mrs B.  Spoilers if you're also playing.

Wordle 265 X/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

I failed.  I've hit this once before, where you hit on 4 letters, but the fifth latter has multiple possibilities.  In this case I tried match, hatch, and latch.  Turns out the word was watch, but batch, patch and catch would have also worked, so that's seven possibilities right there, and you only get 6 guesses.

I like to play Gordle
https://gordle.herokuapp.com/

A hockey variant.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

I've been playing a bit of Globle. (https://globle-game.com/) You have to guess a country with unlimited guesses. The best I've gotten so far was 2. The worst was like... 15?
edit: ...and today took 16. Ooof. That was not an easy one.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2022, 05:11:06 PMPls - can someone explain why anime has such a big hold on Chilean politicians :lol: :huh:
https://twitter.com/poirotes/status/1502382237903425548?s=20&t=H0I4wM2aHopfkUIIxhcEHg
Luckily for us our resident anime expert just returned to the forum after a long break, hopefully he can shed some light on this.

Razgovory

I didn't know we could change our names.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Who the fuck are you, Sophie?  I know you're someone, but I can't figure out who.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2022, 10:05:56 PMI didn't know we could change our names.
It used to require a mod to do. Now? You can do it yourself!  :showoff:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."