Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxnHuVEwUg

Tolkien reading LOTR aloud.

I had never heard his voice before.

I was maybe expecting squeakier, more academic.

Jacob

DGuller

Syt

Development of people with foreign origin in Vienna. Foreign origin, IIRC, is determined by being born abroad or having a parent being born abroad.

From top to bottom:
EU/EFTA (duh)
Former Yugoslavia (without EU members Croatia/Slovenia)
Turkey
Other countries
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

That kickstarter by Brandon Sanderson is looking mighty tempting...

only surpassed by the prohibitive shipping costs (which, in case of the EU, are further augmented by VAT and Customs)

:(

Sheilbh

Intrigued by France's Eurovision entry :ph34r: Think it could do well :hmm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE9jkRi5yLQ
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 05, 2022, 04:41:28 PMThat kickstarter by Brandon Sanderson is looking mighty tempting...

only surpassed by the prohibitive shipping costs (which, in case of the EU, are further augmented by VAT and Customs)

:(

I'm going for the ebook only tier. All these dead trees take too much space.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I use MSN.ca as my home page for Edge.  Getting half Canadian news, half American/international news.

Title of the clip says "Model & Actress Irina Shayk..."

Oh! She's Russian, I'm curious about her point of view on the current conflict.

The article itself once I clicked the link:
Model & Actress Irina Shayk Uses This Hairspray For Both Her Hair & Keeping Her Eyebrows in Place

Are there any good news aggregator out there that at least respect your choices, that you don't want to hear about this kind of stupid bullshit?  Google News can't seem to let me pick the subjects and insists on making it extremely difficult to switch between French and English.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

How an office building in Toronto welcomes staff coming back after working from home.

Sure, rub it in.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

:lol:  WTF. What assholes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I guess it's an attempt at being funny, but yeah ... read the room. :P

We're planning to go back to the office two days a week from middle of the month (I guess that means next week :unsure: ), and three days from next month.

It's yet unclear if we still need to be tested when we come to the office. Currently everyone needs to be tested, even if fully vaccinated and boostered. Tests in Austria are still free (both antigene and PCR), but that mandate is running out this month. Vienna has tentatively signaled they may continue, but it's uncertain.

I know Vienna tests more than the other states, but I wasn't aware by how much. The below chart shows total tests since start of the pandemic (left) and tests per 100k people (right).

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

It means the average Viennese has been tested ~23 times. Don't know how much I've been tested anymore, but that range seems plausible. I know some people who got tested way more often (e.g. to go to bars to meet friends). Also, I assume many people from outside Vienna who work in the city get tested here. Not sure how the airport tests would be counted - the Vienna airport is technically in Lower Austria.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Are those testing numbers for the entire duration of the pandemic?

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2022, 12:56:53 PMAre those testing numbers for the entire duration of the pandemic?

Yes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

So. Another disaster for the glorious 2020s.

https://soranews24.com/2022/03/08/japans-killing-stone-splits-in-two-possibly-unleashing-evil-nine-tailed-fox-spirit/

Who had evil fox spirits on the loose on their bingo card?
██████
██████
██████