News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Incredible :lol:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/hollywood-unlocked-queen-elizabeth-death-what-happened
QuoteA Misunderstanding About Queens Of The Stone Age May Have Caused Hollywood Unlocked's Shocking (And False) Claim That Queen Elizabeth Died

"People are asking why we posted without allowing the royal family or the palace to release a statement. Why? Because we break stories," Jason Lee, the media company's CEO, told BuzzFeed News.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on February 23, 2022, 02:22:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2022, 02:18:58 PM
Yep! Back in 2019.

Congratulations; is Texas like Michigan (and Florida) where you're a licensed engineer; or do they do it that you're a licensed electrical engineer (California and New York do it that way)?

It is like Michigan and Florida. Heck one of the guys who wrote my recommendation is a Mechanical Engineer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2022, 07:10:51 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 23, 2022, 02:22:02 PM
Congratulations; is Texas like Michigan (and Florida) where you're a licensed engineer; or do they do it that you're a licensed electrical engineer (California and New York do it that way)?

It is like Michigan and Florida. Heck one of the guys who wrote my recommendation is a Mechanical Engineer.

Heh, one of mine was a mechanical engineer and another was an architectural engineer.

I see the logic behind the California and New York system.  I think it's weird that I can stamp structural drawings (though, obviously, that would be a terrible idea as well as incredibly unethical); but there are a lot of electrical documents I'm also not qualified to stamp.  Probably when they put this system in place the fields were much more narrow and an Electrical Engineer would have been qualified to stamp any electrical document.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Iormlund

Back in the day, anyone with a simple 3-year Bachelor's in Industrial Engineering was licensed to sign pretty much any kind of project over here.
Then came the Bolonia reforms, and they made it so you had to get a 4-years degree, then pay for an expensive Master's degree to get your license. It's just a shameful racket.

Most of my uni mates do shit like finance, marketing, sales, management, quality, logistics ... A tiny minority have had to sign binding documents (two structural engineers, one electrical engineer). And only for brief periods of time.

I haven't required a license, and I've been practicing actual engineering for almost 20 years. Hell I've worked in safety-critical applications for a decade and didn't even finish my Bachelor's. Not that I would have learned anything practical about laser welding there. Other than basic physics/math, the only applicable subject I took was Materials. I wouldn't mind knowing more about Metallurgy.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2022, 05:06:43 PM
Back in the day, anyone with a simple 3-year Bachelor's in Industrial Engineering was licensed to sign pretty much any kind of project over here.
Then came the Bolonia reforms, and they made it so you had to get a 4-years degree, then pay for an expensive Master's degree to get your license. It's just a shameful racket.

Most of my uni mates do shit like finance, marketing, sales, management, quality, logistics ... A tiny minority have had to sign binding documents (two structural engineers, one electrical engineer). And only for brief periods of time.

I haven't required a license, and I've been practicing actual engineering for almost 20 years. Hell I've worked in safety-critical applications for a decade and didn't even finish my Bachelor's. Not that I would have learned anything practical about laser welding there. Other than basic physics/math, the only applicable subject I took was Materials. I wouldn't mind knowing more about Metallurgy.

:cool:

I always like hearing about people doing real life metalwork, be it reconstructing bronze age techniques or high tech welding like part of your work; both seem to have been fundamental to civilization and the modern world.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Saw this on Twitter yesterday:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2022, 05:06:43 PM

In the United States you need to finish a 4 year engineering or engineering technology degree from an accredited university, five years of engineering experience, letters of recommendation from five people at least three who are professional engineers and you have to take two tests, one that covers one that covers the basics of engineering (usually taken immediately after graduation) and one that is specific to your field.  (Electrical Engineering has become so specialized that, despite both being electrical engineers, Valmy and I wouldn't have taken the same test.  I took the Electrical Engineering Systems exam and he (I assume) took the Electrical Engineering Power exam.)

I haven't used much of anything that I learned in undergraduate on the job; and I've worked with people who have had degrees in math or science or started as technicians.  Even from graduate school I learned how to read technical journals and standards; but very few things I did were relevant to the day to day practice of engineering.  I would be concerned about allowing licensure just on the basis of having a degree; I learned much more about engineering by working than I ever did in school
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Threviel

What license are you guys on about? Here we become masters or bachelors and then off to work...

Savonarola

Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2022, 11:26:22 AM
What license are you guys on about? Here we become masters or bachelors and then off to work...

In the United States you need to be a licensed Professional Engineer in order to submit documents to public authority; in certain circumstances, to be a private consultant; and, in some states, to teach engineering.  You can work as an engineer without licensure (in fact you must for four years before becoming a PE.) 

Edit:  Sorry it should have been four years of professional experience, not five.

Iormlund

Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2022, 05:40:10 PM

:cool:

I always like hearing about people doing real life metalwork, be it reconstructing bronze age techniques or high tech welding like part of your work; both seem to have been fundamental to civilization and the modern world.

It's a fascinating subject (at least for me, obviously).

While you definitely need some scientific knowledge to guide you, the real-life application is so complex we don't have proper mathematical models for what happens inside the welding pool.
Or in other words: it's an art. You've got your fundamentals (for a painter those might be anatomy, composition, lighting, colour theory ...) and the rest is educated guesswork and a ton of practice.
In my case those fundamentals are things like optics, thermodynamics, programming, robotics, algebra or mechanics (less structural and more how to properly position and deform individual parts to minimize gap and obtain the correct dimensional status of the end result).
Then all you need is a million or so in state of the art equipment and millions more in components and you're set.  :P

Iormlund

Quote from: Savonarola on February 25, 2022, 11:09:18 AM
In the United States you need to finish a 4 year engineering or engineering technology degree from an accredited university, five years of engineering experience, letters of recommendation from five people at least three who are professional engineers and you have to take two tests, one that covers one that covers the basics of engineering (usually taken immediately after graduation) and one that is specific to your field.  (Electrical Engineering has become so specialized that, despite both being electrical engineers, Valmy and I wouldn't have taken the same test.  I took the Electrical Engineering Systems exam and he (I assume) took the Electrical Engineering Power exam.)

I haven't used much of anything that I learned in undergraduate on the job; and I've worked with people who have had degrees in math or science or started as technicians.  Even from graduate school I learned how to read technical journals and standards; but very few things I did were relevant to the day to day practice of engineering.  I would be concerned about allowing licensure just on the basis of having a degree; I learned much more about engineering by working than I ever did in school

Yeah, there's a huge disconnect between uni and actual engineering work here as well. Which is partly why I never finished my degree. I absolutely hated studying, but as soon as I got my internship I realized actual work was lots of fun.
But employers love those degrees.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

:lol:

Its like the old 'In Japan cash machines have better work hours than people'
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

:lol:

Tbf it's kinda triggering me too.